Who here will will physically discipline their kids?

i dont think there's anything wrong with it if not done in anger and too harsh...

but i m not sure if its for me.

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 20

• IF I ever have kids - I hope not to - I will physically discipline them, yes. I will do it like my parents. First comes the instruction to do/not do something or to behave in a certain way. Second comes a reminder. Third comes a firm tone saying that if they continue they will be spanked. Fourth comes the spanking.
    Fifth comes sitting the child down and explaining how they came to have been spanked - aka walking them through all 3 steps prior to the spanking.

They have plenty of chances to correct their behavior that way. I personally only needed to be spanked once in my life. Usually the first warning was enough to correct my behavior. Silly me just decided to test the limits once and I ended up with 5 whacks on the butt with a spoon. And that was the end of that.

• good question.
    ill only do it if i feel theyre not getting the message any other way. ill always begin with words, a punishment [like no games or tv for X amount of time], then if they're really not listening, unfortunately that's the only way left. helped shape me up as a kid. i dont find it wrong if it's necessary, but not for ridiculous things.

• I was never physically disciplined as a child, and I turned out fine. My cousins were physically disciplined as children, and they turned out fine.

I think I'd be a lot like my mom in that aspect. I wouldn't physically discipline nor would I let their father and if he DID touch them, then the kids and I would be gone before he could blink.

• Nope - it won't teach them anything. If my children are anything like me, they will be sensitive and time-outs will be infinitely more effective.

• Unless my kid does things that could possibly endanger others, then no. I just don't want to, my father grew up being abused as a child because it was socially acceptable. I was hit (not severly) and there's nothing that has ever made me less loved and appreciated. It made me feel so alone. I just never understood it because we don't hurt people we love and they hurt me, which made me think, if my parents people who love me will hurt me then it's okay to hurt other people I love like an SO or family member which isn't okay.
    Plus I think there's enough violence and aggression in the world and the last place it should be made okay is in their home.

• If my kids are anything like me then that's the only way I'd be able to discipline them.
    As a kid you couldn't discipline me by taking things away from me or giving me a lecture or making me sit in one spot for hours. One thing that always worked was when my mom hit me, none of the other strategies worked because I didn't care and I didn't care as a reflex of non-violent discipline and that non-violent discipline really screwed me up in school and if I was only spanked I'd probably be further in life.

• My kid will have to do something really bad for me to spank them. Thats about the only time I was spanked is if I did something super duper bad. My mom often thumped us on the ear or popped us on the hand as minor punishment. Thumps be hurting though especially when it makes that *clock* sound. Lol But yea switches and belts didn't happen too often, only if I did something super bad. I'd never use a switch or belt on my kid. I'll barely even use my hand. I rather just fuss at them. It doesn't work as well, but better than just letting them get away with whatever

• I'm not having any kids but if I ever did, nope I wouldn't apply corporal punishment. I think there are others ways of disciplining a child without actually feeling the need to smack or hit. That doesn't explain what's the reason of why the behavior isn't ok besides an ''because I'll get hit''.

I respect others folks' opinions but I don't agree with spanking. This is coming from a Latina by the way.

• Only gladiatorial style.
    Before reaching 17, when we did something wrong we weren't punished, but put in the waiting list. Once two of us were on it, we were made to fight each other. We were told the other had done something wrong and we had to make them pay, but we weren't allowed to say what we had done.

• When I have kids in the future, I will employ spankings and time-outs like my parents did and it worked, I never drank, never did drugs, never had sex, or did any dumb shit XD and that's how it's always been with my whole family and everyone turned out alright :D

Only in times when it's needed of course

• No, I wouldn't want to harm them in anyway. I have been thrown across the room before for dropping a bowl on the ground. I guess you can call it abuse but I never did anything about it. When I was about 10 I started punching back. This caused even more trouble... to the point where I had to sleep outside. So from these experiences, I would want them to live a great childhood where they don't get sent to school crying.

• I wasn't, I turned out fine... my sister was, she was a problem child... I'll never have kids, but if I did, I wouldn't.

• I most definitely would. I personally don't like kids because they're hard headed and annoying. I have a 10 year old niece and a 3 year old nephew and I have no problem with hitting them. But I only spank my nephew on the butt... my niece gets more punches and slaps from me because she's disrespectful.

• I wouldn't! My parents decided not to hit me, because they used to spank my brother; he is one of the most selfish entitled people that I've ever met in my life. They only hit 3-4 times when they spanked him, so even though they did it for years it wasn't severe... But his behavior even right now today is terrible. I'm his polar opposite.

• Oh! And I know them hitting him played a huge part in his acting so selfish, because all it did was inspire him to provoke them as much as possible.

• I spank my child when needed. If I ask her to do something twice and she refuses, I get the belt and she's in timeout for five mins. I also spank in public Esp if she's screaming cause she can't have a new toy or candy. My daughter learns real quick when tons of people are looking at her.
    I got the handmade cherry wooden paddle that was 3" thick to my butt. I learned.

• I will. I don't see the harm in a smack on the butt here and there.

• Never will I use violence as a teaching tool. There are so many other proven methods that work to teach children discipline so there is never a good reason to put your hands on a child in frustration, anger or to teach them a lesson.

• I don't agree with corporal punishment.

• If he get into fight

• My mom always said that if someone hits me, hit them back. Yet she said that if I get suspended for hitting them back then I was gone get my ass whooped. Very confusing... Like What Do I Do? What Do I Do? Lol

• somtimes kids fight. dont need to beat him up for it. lol

• It depends on how serious it is. He better dont get involved in gang fight.

• I don't want to have kids but if I ever do, I will use corporal punishment as the last resort. I think it's insulting and humilating to do that to a child, no matter how young they are. It's not a good way to teach them something. When they grow up and get a job, their boss ain't gona put them across his lap and spank them. The only thing they will actually learn is that physical violence is ok.

• My school actually paddled us for stupid stuff. That was the first school I'd ever been to that physically punished us. I got paddled with this huge wooden paddle for being tardy to class. It was crazy. They were like "Put your hands on the desk. Spread your legs. Look into the mans principals eyes!" Like whaaaaat? FREAKYYYYY

• Wow, I'd no idea schools that use corporal punishment still exist.

What Guys Said 19

• I was physically disciplined as a kid , did I turn out fine? Well I don't know but I'll rather dive into the art of persuasion than the art of coercion to get them do something for their own good.

So nah , I won't. It's not necessary.

• I can count on one hand the number of times I got spanked as a kid. Each time it happened I deserved it, and I didn't do it again.

There's a difference between physical discipline and abuse. I'm perfectly willing to (sparingly) employ the former. What I won't do is sit them on the couch and yell at them for an entire afternoon, or give them what they want to quiet a tantrum and in so doing raise a spoiled brat.

Kids need to learn at an early age that whining in public is NOT something that gets rewarded.

• I will in their early years.

• when you can't reason with them right?

• What's the point? A child can't understand why you hit them if they aren't at the point of being able to reason, so ultimately you're hitting them just to let out your frustration.

• I really haven't. For some kids, it's necessary. I've done other things.

• Every parent, grandparent and great grand parent and so forth in my family has physically disciplined their children and I will be no different.

• There's no point in physical discipline. It's the last resort of weak-minded people. There are far more effective methods than striking someone, such as Operant Conditioning.

• Some kids can be hard headed and can get carried away. So if there's no reasoning with them... yeah I probably would.

• My gramps has a saying, "nothing good and spanking wouldn't cure" I agree with that motto in the early years.

• I'm unsure, chances are I will not. I'm too much of a softie when it comes to loved ones.

• I don't want kids. I don't think I could physically discipline a child anyways

• people who dont want kids shouldn't have them. I've met so many people who were raised by mothers who didn't want them or didn't know what to do with them and theyre deprived as shit and struggle greatly in life and relationihps.

• Don't plan on having them. Just going to help my siblings with theirs and care for the aging parent.

• yes, I think a lot of kids today need to be spanked they are out of control theses days

• If the child can't be reasoned with and is not getting the message then I think it's okay to physically discipline the child. Physical discipline was the only way I learned not to do something growing up, I was an incredibly stubborn kid.

• I would physically discipline if necessary, but not abuse there is a big difference.

• I will beat them till they are black and blue!!!

• I will. Belt spankings just like my father did with me.

• If I ever get any kids (haven't had a girlfriend yet, so I might not wanna think that far), I would. Spanking would probably be the farthest I go though. My mother and father did the same to me, and I will admit I am nowhere near the troublemaker I once was.

• Not physically discipline but I will put them in isolation, they lose privileges, and they will have to stand trial in front of their community to determine if they have to do community service if they commit a wrong.

And my house and family will have point systems (like at the arcade or credit card rewards) where they can use to buy prizes but penalties could result in fining them of their points.

• I believe in positive reinforcement so I would consider doing son and daughter of the month/year awards. Son or the year gets a trophy and an iPad or something cool.

• I raised one boy and never had to and raising a little girl and will never see the need to. I say what I mean and mean what I say. No games with all of that but I do play them to death and love them enough so they are happy and sleep well.

• I used to agree with physical discipline, but I feel you're not really teaching your kids as to WHY something they are doing is wrong, more like just instilling fear in their lives. I feel that sort of parenting will lead them to be poor decision makers in the future because they were not equipped with rational, logical thinking.

• i think its more used when a child can't understand or comprehend things... not when they are old enouhg to be reasoned with