Christians who recognize gay love/marriage, can you explain your stance?

I'm Catholic, and although I don't recognize gay marriage, I recognize gay civil unions, etc. Just please don't call it marriage for I believe that's semantically been set to always mean a man and a woman. Politically, in my book, a civil union can be treated the exact same way a marriage can, just don't call it marriage. Otherwise, gays should have the freedom to cohabitate, co-sign, co-parent, etc.

How do you defend your stance on freedom to love or marry between the same sex? As a Christian I haven't quite mastered that, so I'm curious as to how you might.

Ok, here's a couple GAGers whose opinion I'd appreciate...
@skadouchebag
@PrettyGurl12

Most Helpful Guy

• First off, I need clarification on the last sentence of your first paragraph. Are you saying that you think a gay couple should be able to have all the characteristics of a marriage except the name, or that you DON'T want gay men to be able to cohabit etc. and that these are your reasons for not wanting them to marry?

Come to think of it, I need clarification on the question too. Do you want the theological and scripturaly interpretive defense of my stance, or the political one?

• I apologize. I feel a gay couple should be able to have the characteristics of a marriage, but not joined in holy matrimony as a marriage.

And could you give me both?

• Oops. I should probably have clarified that it's a different word each time, and each refers to something different.

• Oh I gotcha. Like the man/boy sexual mentorship they did. I see. Makes sense.

What Guys Said 12

• Christianity does not own the concept of marriage, so the opinions of theists regarding what is and isn't 'marriage' have no more weight than any other claim. Marriage was already part of our culture before Christianity came along and adopted it, along with many other pagan elements.

As for justifying the stance within the faith... I don't think I could find any scripture or anything to support it, but I do think that people pick and choose the parts they want to follow anyways. How do Christians justify wearing clothing made of 2 fabrics? Convenience. The rule is seen as arbitrary, so people ignore it. Unless you follow your Bible word-for-word, it's not a stretch to accept gay marriage.

• im just curious when they say it ruins marriage for the rest of us, how?

• I am Christian too of some kind on paper but really a Godian. Love thy neighbour is the golden rule.

• First of all, homosexuality is ONLY mentioned in the Old Testament. We are living in the NEW Testament days.

Second of all, it's not my right to judge. By judging whether or not gays should be allowed to get married, that would be like me acting like a God.

• so it seems christians don't follow the rules of their "book" at all... huh?

first of all decide wht you are first... others of you, say you're catholoic, others say orthodox, others support gay rights, others don't, etc.

anyway... although i see marriage pointless in general wether you're str8 or gay, i believe people should do whatever they want as long as they don't harm others... and since "being gay" isn't equal with "being criminal" that's fine with me.

• They can call it "marriage" if they want. It in no way detracts from anyone else's marriage. I defend my stance because there are a lot of sins people commit on a regular basis that aren't homosexuality, but none seem to be so fervently debated. Likely because it's hard to examine our own flaws.

• I don't call it gay marriage bc I still don't believe in gay marriage. So I call it a same sex partnership.

• I really think people should just worry about themselves and not what everyone else is doing.

• I mean if they want to live together and play house of course they can, but marrying in church is totally unnecessary in my opinion. Also I don't think they should be able to adopt kids at all, if they want to ruin their own lives that's fine, but to ruin a child's life is where I draw the line. So, no marriage and no kids if I could decide.

• "I believe that's semantically been set to always mean a man and a woman."

And I believe the church has been on the wrong side of history more than once.
    Whether it was black and white people marrying, Or rich men "marrying" pre-pubescent girls because they gave their father 3 camels.

Marriage has changed a lot over the life time of the church. There were always conservative people who swore blind that this was the beginning of the end. It never has been.

Just once, let the church get on the right side of history for a change.

• I'm a Christian.. All you gotta do is put GOD between your relationship and with his power of love nothing can go wrong.. God is powerful and love us.

• Hay marriage is about getting access to benefits that were made for couple whi would raise children and support society with the next generation. Marriage is a legal term to them to get access to tax breaks, benefits plans etc. they had domestic partnerships but that legal term needed to be crafted into each law that helped married couples. Those coup, e needed the tax break to hlep pay for diapers, clothes, car seats, not just a vacation to Cabo for the gay couple. They bastardized the religious sacramet of marriage for their own self gain. Is BS, its about monet and benefits, nothing else otherwise domestic partnerships would have sufficed.

• You can downvote but it is true. I know for a fact because I know some that are very active in that movement.

• I don't recognize gay marriages...
    Its against grain, sinful, queer, against women's right, etc.
    The mere excuse of liberty doesn't mean you have the right to do beastiality, gay marriages, n taboos. I know gays, n supporters will down vote it.. So boo to them in advance.. 3:)

What Girls Said 7

• I recognize it because it doesn't affect me. I think one's relationship with God and beliefs are their own personal things. I don't believe that being gay automatically means you don't believe in God. I also don't think it is my place to deny them rights.

Is a marriage between a man and a woman how I personally see a marriage? Yes. But I'm not going to sit and spout off about the should/should nots of it.

The marriage between a man and a woman is different than one between two women or two men but only because one gender is not represented.

I don't think being gay is a choice. I think it's something you're born as. And I don't think law/religion should dictate rights based on something you cannot change. A person is so much more than their sexual orientation.

So yeah, that's what I think.

• Add to that: Yes, I believe it's a sin. But so is eating shellfish, and I do that all the time. All sins are equal in the eyes of God. He will be the final judge. Who am I to dictate how others choose to sin?

• And some say the ban on gay marriage should be an outlawed law. Only difference is that the shellfish law changed before and now is the time for the gays.

• That's a fair point.

• OK a few things here. Pour a glass of soda and settle in.

First, unless I am mistaken, ALL Christian condemnation of gay marriage comes from the Old Testament. Christians, while using the Bible for the foundation of their belief, don't follow the Old Testament. We don't stone adulterers, stay away from meat coming from animals with cloven hooves, etc. We no longer marry multiple women, so on and so on. When Christ came, he brought an updated view. Christ himself I think (I think) did say marriage should be between one man and one woman. This goes against polygamy AND gay marriage. Or did he? Was it an apostle who wrote it in one of his books, or did Jesus say it? Seriously, input here is welcome because I no longer know.

So. Ideally, a Christian wants people to believe in Christ and enter Heaven through Him. If my narrow minded belief is so repellant I drive gays AWAY from the church and salvation according to MY beliefs, then I have failed and am WORSE of a sinner than they are. If I embrace everyone with the same open arms and welcome them into the light of God, then God can sort it all out later. At no point did Jesus give me authority to condemn anyone to Hell. He did tell me to keep myself away from sin, but I try to live my life as well as I can. Gay people are welcomed to my belief... I'd rather see them in heaven then know my narrow minded religion snobbery pushed them out of salvation. God will work it all out, my job is to introduce everyone who cares to know about Jesus into His world.

Don't bother replying with antichristian nonsense, that is childish at best. I merely answered the OP with my own thoughts.

• I'm a Christian and I just believe that it's not my place to judge others for their sexuality. That's God's job alone. As a Christian, it's my job to treat everybody with love and dignity. If wonderful people such as Ellen Degeneres and Neil Patrick Harris want to marry the people they love, then I'd like them to be able to.

• I think that this is a sensitive subject but for me, everyone around me doesn't agree, but this really hits home for me.. a friend of mine is gay. and I honestly think, that this should be allowed. God gives you tests and you make the decision, so if that's the decision they make, let them. Everyone is supposed to have equality in this country, and we need to let this happen without picking and choosing who gets it.

• My mom was Christian or something, she just said the god she believed in didn't believe in hate. But I never cared for her to elaborate because I thought she was stupid

• I was raised catholic.

Let the gays marry.

• I'm a Christian and I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions and if that's who they want to be with they can do that. I'm not going to follow in their footsteps, but I'm not going to force my religion onto them.