What if you don't like the engagement ring that he gets you?

Sometimes a couple will go together to find a ring but sometimes the guy gets the ring himself maybe with the help of friends. What would you do if you didn't particularly like the ring? Or do you even care because you're just excited to be engaged and that you get to marry him?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you'll let the ring. I haven't heard of most women not liking the ring. It's a symbol of a man's feelings and commitment to you so it's often much more about the meaning than the actual ring itself... and again unless a guy goes very tacky I've never heard of a woman not liking her engagement ring

• Here's my theory. The right guy is never going to choose a ring that isn't right for his girl. He knows her intimately, her likes/ dislikes. I am a simple girl. So if my guy gave me a big showy ring, I would perhaps say to him that we need more time to get to know one another.

• Hmmm... Not necessarily. I'm not a tomboy but I'm one of the dudes. My partner would take it that I'm simpler when it comes to my taste in jewels cos that's my personality. However, I'm the opposite when it comes to jewellery I love soft and feminine, pretty and detailed. Doesn't have to be big or expensive. So I'd have to disagree.

• i would hope that just because the ring isn't to someone's liking that they take that as some sign that their relationship has some issues...

perhaps the guy just mad a bad decision. hopefully your partner knows what you like but you also have to consider that a lot of guys are not familiar with jewelry shopping.

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess I'd tell him the ring doesn't suit me. If he's asking me to marry him, than he already knows I love him more than anything. He'd understand that if I'll be wearing it for the rest of my life, so what's the point in wearing something I don't like for life. Am I materialistic, hell yeah if it is going to be with me for the rest of my life. I have faith that I would never be with a man that would be crush over a ring. We're together, we have an open exchange of thoughts and feelings.

What Guys Said 22

• I think it's completely understandable if a girl doesn't like the way a ring looks. If a guy is going to surprise the girl with a ring its a smart idea to have an idea on what she would want.

• Then apparently you don't get the reason of marriage. It's a gesture to show devotion.
    If you care that much about what it looks like then you're not ready for marriage. That's superficial. The only thing you get to ask say is if the ring is the wrong size.

• That's a big sign that says the relationship will end in a divorce.

• The man is obviously a lunatic - Going solo on buying the engagement ring, madness.

• Hence why you should ALWAYS buy your rings out of 50 cent machines. You don't like it? Here's 5 dollars, knock yerself out!

• Splurging a bit there, I would have offered a sticky hand or a superball... not my testicles mind you

• If he took the time to find you a ring. Took the time to come up with the words and how to propose... and trust me we think about it, rehearse it, change it, sweat it out... and the only thing you think is "the ring is ugly"...
    do both of you a favor and say no.
    You will have the ability to choose your own wedding ring. I would suggest if you really hate the engagement ring, you find wedding ring that will incorporate the engagement ring and thus you can change the way it looks that way.
    We really take a long time picking out the perfect ring. sometimes we cannot afford the HUGE ring you want. So feel free to pay for the wedding rings.

• i guess keep it anyway, because it'd be knda... rude to throw it away in my opinion :-/

• Couples need to go together to pick out ring she may like
    i want the girl to be happy with the ring i pick out so she should
    go with me to pick out what one she wants.

• Its juz a ring.. it won't last forever so whats the BIC deal? Do u value that tiny bit of tools more than a human being? This world is really turning upside down.. seriously >.>
    He gave it to u right from the bottom of his heart so deal with it 😒

• Hypothetically, I think her heart would be in the wrong place.

• You would think that you wouldn't place an intrinsic value on his love, but hey, whatever. I'd accept it as the gift that it is, that he picked especially for the woman he loved thinking it would be appreciated and not critiqued. Many people never find someone worth spending a life with, is it really worth complaining about a ring that was a gift?

• Wow so materialistic that you don't even like a ring a man gives you. If only he knew that. If it was me I dump you out on the street. Harsh I know but listen to your self. Then again you're only 19.

• If you are getting close to that time... offer to go ring shopping with him... that way you get to help pick out what you like and he gets to pick out what he likes.

• If a girl did that to me i would totally dump her... fucking gold digger

• The ring doesn't matter its the ido that does

• she better like it!

• Recommend that you guys go together to pick out rings if you have a style preference. Otherwise, you'll be seen as a gold-digger and ungrateful to both him and your future in-laws.

Brother-in-law was engaged and picked out a ring for his ex-fiancé. She thought diamond wasn't big enough and "borrowed (aka stole)" his credit card and later took it to another jeweler to get a bigger diamond placed on it. He didn't press charges on her with police for stealing credit card, but eventually called off wedding. Can't say I blame the guy, although I may have pressed charges since I am pretty tight with controlling money and budgets.

• Are you KIDDING? Dear, it's not about the stone. It's about the commitment and marriage that is key. I understand it's a big deal for girls but really? Can't you be a little appreciative that he bought you one. Sheesh. That's a red flag already and this relationship is going to fall apart. They guy should save his time and money and leave while he can. Your the reason why guys think girls are gold diggers. I just answered a question on this site a minute ago about why guys think girls are gold diggers and your the reason. See guys, it's just not worth it anymore. Especially going down the line and getting half taken away from you. I feel bad for the exceptional women who are given bad names thanks to silly girls like trom

• Why you didn't told him that you want to go with him to choose your ring?

• ----------- TOUGH SHIT

• Tell him it's ugly.

• Just an engagement ring... wedding ring is the one that matters

• maybe you're from somewhere else but in America it is the engagement ring that "matters". usually the wedding band is a much simpler ring often without any gemstones just a silver, gold, or platinum ring... engagement rings are the fancy ones that cost thousands of dollars... nto sure if you are from America but that is certainly the 'way' in the US

• So as madhatters4 said, American dating protocol is asinine.

What Girls Said 26

• well i think it's good to just subtly talk about which kinds of rings u like. :P not in an annoying way though, like say a catalogue is delivered to ur home and he comes over, u could just flick through it and b like 'oh that one's gorgeous!' LOL.

• i dont think i would even notice thats its ugly haha ill be too caught up in the happiness haha , plus id find it beautiful cause he got it :)

• I would tell myself

*stop being a bitch misscoffeehead!!* the guy wants to marry you! Be HAPPY YOU idiot..

And then I would slap myself

• I think the guy will see the girl as materialistic if he proposed to her... and all she could speak about is how ugly the ring is.
    It seems ungrateful and like the person isn't seeing the bigger picture.
    An engagement ring is a symbol of love.
    Not how fancy or how cute it should appear to you and and every one else.

If your fiance is a little bit on the understanding side, he might see past this and get you another one.

• I wouldn't care if the girl don't like the ring she probably doesn't like the man

• If I were the woman that's getting proposed to, there is no engagement ring that I wouldn't like unless he's a cheater... then I would throw it because that would mean it's not given out of love (regardless of its price).

• I wouldn't care what it would look like. I'd be happy just because he proposed and wants commitment on that level. If someone's so shallow to care more about the rings looks than what is symbolizes, then home boy should take it back and leave their materialistic asses. -3-

• I'd appreciate it, because his intentions of buying it would be to surprise me, and evidence that he loved me enough to want to make a a committment to me for the rest of our lives. So it's not the type of ring which is important, it's what it signifies. Which is his Love for me. It's not the ring that is valuable, it's the gesture of it.

• Tell him and go pick one together and exchange it. He shouldn't be offended, taste is a personal thing.

• I would except a bread tie or a piece of string tied on my finger if the guy I loved gave that to me... I don't care about the ring, I wouldn't be getting engaged to the ring I would be getting engaged to the guy...

• I would keep it anyways. The fact that he took the time to buy me ring at all, I wouldn't mind what he got me.

• I wouldn't care how the ring looks

• I don't care about the ring, it is just engagement. I'll take it off when I'm married. And besides it's the thought that counts.

• Why would you take it off when you're married? You kind of wear it for the rest of your life.

• Bc u get a new ring. One engagement ring then wedding ring. And u wear the wedding ring forever. Lol

• 26d

That is false. You get the engagement ring, which is the ring that has the bigger stone or whatever, and then you get the wedding band when you get married. You wear both of them together. Most people get the two ring soldered together. And that's what you wear for as long as you're married.

• I'd be happy that I'm getting a ring on my finger from the man I love. I'd be happy to know he loves me enough to marry me. How the ring looks or what the cost is should be the least of your worries.

• I would think most men go with something plain. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I suppose if I really didn't like it I'd maybe replace it. I mean it's something you're supposed to wear everyday for the rest of your life

• I wouldn't pay too much attention to the ring itself, more the fact that he proposed.

• Once u get married just wear the wedding ring, if he asks why u don't wear it just say u had to take it off so much to do ____ so u decided to put it away cuz u had to take if off so often

• I wouldn't really care about the ring. I'd just be very happy and excited about the engagement. How ugly can a ring be anyway?

• I think I would accept the the ring anyway. It's the throught that counts. And then if it really bothered me, I would get a wedding band that loved.

• I would love It because it was from him, it wouldn't matter what style it was

• I think I would love anything he buys me. I like simple and modest jewelry anyway, so I dont think it would be hard for him to buy me a ring that I like.

• It doesn't matter what it looks like, it matters who it's from!!

• Tell him get ya a better one lol

When it comes to women and jewlery There is no room for mistakes :p..

• Or a guy could ask her friends or family to pry. I'm sure most of us girls talk about engagement rings anyway.

• Uhm you deal with it? If you love the guy it shouldn't matter what the ring looks like.

• It'd would kind of suck since you're stuck wearing it every single day, but you make compromises and keep your mouth shut. I don't know how it could really be ugly, unless it was too big or something. They're fairly straightforward rings.