Is marriage for you? Why or why not?

Being the hopeless romantic i am, i thought i found true love when i was 12. I was in a relationship with the guy for 5 years, and at 17 i found out he had been cheating. Through the years i've found more and more reasons to be against marriage, for myself at least. I want to see other people's opinion on this.

Most Helpful Guy

• I love the idea of a committed relationship, a life partner.
    Not so keen on the idea of marriage, though. Seems a little antiquated, pointless and I don't like the whole ceremony thing, either.
    Not to mention how it complicates a lot of legal matters and gives my potential ex-wife huge entitlement to my things. I hope I never meet someone who would do that to me, but I'm sure that's what every ex-husband ever has thought to himself.

No reason I can't have a life partner while he keep our separate surnames. Just seems easier.

What Guys Said 5

• I'm a relationship type of guy, I believe. I've tried the single life and the couple's life and so far the best years have been when I had a gf.
    Right now I'm single and I haven't done much, I haven't been happy with myself for the last 5 years when I've been single.
    So yeah, I do believe marriage is for me. I like having someone who I can trust with my life, who I can relay on when shit hits the fan, someone I can open up to, someone to love and that loves me.
    I wanna marry one day, it's one of my goals.

• I'm on the fence about it. I'm not fully committed to the idea of marrying because I find it to be more risky for men than it is for women, generally speaking

• how is it more risky for men? putting aside the materialistic aspect of divorce, incase the marriage were to fail.

• being completely against marriage, i see the beauty in it. If you were to get married you should be almost positive it won't end in divorce and you won't lose your personal livelihood. When it comes to the marriage itsself, there's almost nothing to loose for the guy. It's a lot easier for them. Theyre not the one who will constantly compete with everyone they see, or the ones who will get fat during a pregnancy, or the one who would have to make compromises. Men rarely have to do anything

• i don't agree with like 90% of what you just said, but i didn't come here to really have a long winded debate, so ill just state that your opinion is noted

• Lol.. silly people.. think that relationships at such a young age will last forever smh

• many reason but no, not for me

• Yes because I would love to actually be with someone for my life and make babies, lol.

What Girls Said 7

• I'm for marriage, definitely. I like the idea of having someone that is my bestfriend along with my lover. I would enjoy knowing that I get to come home to someone every night that I share a special connection with. I want to be able to do nice things for my husband, such as cooking for him after a long day of work. I just enjoy the whole idea of dedicating yourself to another person for the rest of your life. As for your situation, I'm truly sorry that this has happened to you, but you cannot give up on love (wow, that sounds cheesy) but it's TRUE! Do not let one relationship define your views on marriage and love. One slip in the road should not get to you, and with a relationship that long, I hope you two at least try and fix things!

• I agree with you, you can't let one situation destroy a whole lifetime of happiness with another guy. Sure, that guy turned up to be a mistake, but when you find that guy that's simply perfect, you'll realize that that mistake, didn't turn up to be a negative mistake.

• @AleDeEurope I dislike how some women will have an issue with ONE man, then automatically curse all men for the rest of eternity. Sometimes, you must have trust in the next guy to not make the same mistake as the one before.

• And I think it's worth it.

• I'm personally for marriage. I like the idea of taking the man I loves last name and being called his wife. It would mean so much more than just being his girlfriend. Wife just sounds like more of a forever thing , girlfriend and boyfriend just seems too loose for me. Not to say that marriage is completely definite , I know it could end in divorce. But what if it doesn't? I'm not going to give up on the idea of marriage because I'm scared of the possibility that it could end badly. Everything has that possibility but many times we do it anyway.

• Marriage is hard work. Its something that you and your partner has to be on the same page, and willing to work together. Some people will never get married.
    As for myself, I was married once to my sons father. We started to fight shortly after the birth of him. But we stayed and held it together, we got married for the sake of our son hoping he could have the perfect family.
    In reality no family is perfect, our marriage ended shortly after our son turned one. Staying together in a relationship or marriage for the sake of a child isn't worth the fighting abuse or pain. Luckily our child was young and has no idea we were married at one point. Our son is now five and is happy that he has two of everything.
    As for marriage, yes I will remarry again, but this time it will be for the right reason.. Love. Its hard trying to find that special someone, especially after a failed marriage or relationship. It took me 4 years to find my fiancé. But it was worth the break ups and failed relationships.

• Marriage sucks. When there is sparks and chemistry it's Great, but it doesn't mean that it's going to last forever. You get tired of seeing the same man in your room everyday and having to deal with his problema every single Day. You're gonna commit to yourself that you're going to take care of this man through sickness and health till death do us part. That's too heavy for me. And i don't want that. I want my life to be exciting. Dont settle for less when you deserve more than what he's giving you or you know you're better than him. Life is short so don't let one Guy ruin your life. You have every right to not ever get married and still have a plesant life. There are many fish in the sea and someday, someone might come along and sweep you off your feet or rock your world and then a year later you get over him and then comes another man in your life who loves you. There are men out there who are sincere. Go find him. Don't sulk in pity just because someone used you. It's not worth it. He's not worth your time. But let's Face it. Some guys are jerks. Some are just only interestd in hooking up. Some are players. Some are never ready to commit to a long-term relationship. But that's life. You can't always have everything you dreamed of. You r the one in control of everything. You have the power to be happy. You can only help yourself. Enjoy life to it's fullest and appreciate all that there is to offer. I can say this. Reality can be so much more fun than fantasy. Don't sit there dreaming about what you want. Take some action and be Bold. That's my advice😉 whether you take it or ignore it, that's your call😜

• I'm the same way. I believe in marriage. I have been with the same guy for 6 years since I was 14. If things didn't work out between us then it would with someone else.

• I'm for marriage. And I'm so sorry that happened to u!!

• No love sucks and I have trust issues I'm gonna be a cat lady