Am I stupid for not doing a fake marriage to earn money?

I'm a US citizen. My mom wants me to do a fake marriage so that a guy can get his green card. The family would pay me 50K. I am not interested in doing it. My mom got a little mad at me. I feel bad that I can't even do a fake marriage. I'm in a relationship right now and it feels not right for me to do the fake marriage, even though it's not cheating. I can only commit to one person and if I were to do the fake marriage, I would need to get out of my current relationship first. It's not even about the money. Did I make the right choice?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends. Does the guy get to keep his green card even if you divorce? I am not sure how this works.

What Guys Said 7

• I think you made the right choice lol. and its not like you two can just divorce after he gets citizenship through marriage, if you two did then the government would investigate on grounds of a fraudulent marriage.

• I'm not sure what the legal penalties for marriage fraud are, but I hope they are severe. You absolutely should NOT do this. As an American, I don't want a foreigner to get into this country and get a green card through illegal marriage fraud.

• Your are right. Your mother is wrong.

• Yeah for two reasons

1) your conscience is clear, don't worry about it, stick with your current relationship

2) That right there is a felony charge, you would be in exponential amount of trouble

• You did the right thing, and your mother should respect your wishes

• Dude Karma will not be good...

• What does that mean?

• No offense and with all due respect but your mom can fuck off unless she wants to marry that guy herself.

Do not place too much influence in those who don't have to deal with the results.

It's your life, not your moms.

• I would've just done it, I'm sure your SO would understand, I know I would've.

What Girls Said 4

• You made the right decision! Don't even think about it not only is it morally wrong but it's also illegal. Once you marry if the government suspects foul play you will be bombarded with questions. They will watch you and you will have to make a fake life with this person. If you are found out that person will lose there visa and face jail time as would you. Your mother is not looking out for anyone but herself and her wallet. She is putting your life in jeopardy. You did good not accepting this insane deal. Good job!

• Morally and legally - yes, you have made the right choice.

Financially - that's for you to decide.

• Do they still need someone? Lol I'll marry him for 30k 😂

• i don't think i was the most wise decision