One of my good friends is getting married, I can't be happy for him?

Seriously, marraige is such a f up. The guy just sealed his fate. It's like..."here, have a contract to seal your probable divorce" anyway, maybe that's just me. Anyone else think the social construct of marriage is stupid?

Most Helpful Guy

• At least if he's your age, his chances are a little better, but not much. If his bride is under 25, it could be worse.
    He still has almost 44% chance of being divorced within 5 - 10 years, and being left to wonder why (women don't need a reason for it, and often can't give one). Chances are that within 4 years she will have turned off the sex and affection (50% of women do). Even if he's a better man than ever before, that won't change.
    The chances of him having an affectionate wife in 20 years time (if they stay married) are about 20%. It doesn't matter how much he loves her, that will be the case. It doesn't matter how much she loved him in the beginning.
    * Men love women
    * Women love children
    * Children love guinea pigs
    * The guinea pig pig wins, no-one loves the man, and he just pays for the whole deal.

• This probably isn't MHO but it sure as hell made my Monday. So funny. Men, Love and life summed up below and I think you should do a "my take" on it:

"* Men love women
      * Women love children
      * Children love guinea pigs
      * The guinea pig pig wins, no-one loves the man, and he just pays for the whole deal"

What Girls Said 7

• Honestly, you're a being a selfish dick. Who cares if they get divorced? He's made a choice and is wanting to celebrate with friends. If you can't respect his decision, then don't participate. Don't talk to him about it, don't go to his bachelor party, don't attend the wedding, because, apparently, this is all about you and the fact you feel he's ruining his life.

Plenty of people survive marrying the wrong person. He's found someone he's willing to risk that for. Congrats to him. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't.

However, deciding that you obviously know better is fucking patronizing as shit. He's a god damned adult. Put your big boy pants on and grow the fuck up.

• Divorce rates have been declining, particularly among college-educated couples.

• Mmm... would like to see those stats. But college people usually settle because they have to.

• http://nyti.ms/1rSon3Y

"But college people usually settle because they have to."

That's a weird thing to say... what makes you think that?

• Interesting article. They stay because it makes logical sense. I know some educated swingers. They are married but open minded to share partners. I also liked the "many people are not marrying" which decreases the divorce rate.

• You're a shade of gray. He's full of hope. Let live and learn.

• Thanks for the compliment;) shade of grey. That's like 49 away from Christian grey. I have unfortunately learnt.

• Yes and i couldn't believe she never told me about it. She told me when she has coldsores, she says away form men. She did get a bit close talking to me a lot. I don't shake hands or touch when I talk to people... :) Only whites seems to do it to only whites.

• Fuckin stupid whites and their herpes lol sorry:-)

• Not true, my parents is entering their 22nd anniversary this year. Of course they fight over some things sometimes, but they never even had a single thought of getting a divorce. They still love each other, my dad always puts my mom and his daughters first above everything and my mom always puts my dad and her daughters first above everything; my sister and I would testify that love.

• That's good for you and your family;-) You are a rarity though and I thought the same things about my family at your age, time though taught me otherwise. I do however wish you and the family all the best.

• Just because you do not want, it does not mean; marriage is bad entirely. Some people believe in marriage, somome do not.
    Is he happy? He seems happy? Then be happy for him :)

• It's like somebody being happy because their house burnt down. I will smile and nod but lol... seriously?

• Maybe his house burned down and he's getting a ton of insurance money? I don't know, just trying to fit some positive metaphors in there.

• When it comes to real life, there is no metaphor whatsoever. It is just life. You live it or not. You choose or not. @KäseChäe individuals and their choices.

• just respect and accept his happiness in marriage and stop being too pessimistic.
    I myself think that social contract is not a real sacred marriage thing but I am open with others idea about it since they have their own mind and happiness.

• I love your opinion, I do. You right, just battling at the moment with it. It's just like contradictory for me.

• Start thinking positive and be happy for your friend...

• It's tough, I find the whole thing comical. Like... cheers man, nice knowing you.

• Is this an astrology question;) November... im a scorpio. You have to tell me why you asked that;-)

• I just wanted to know..

What Guys Said 4

• commitment, unselfishness,
    NOT
    greed and self-centeredness

Parents 28 years, Aunt uncle 30 years and 29 years, grandparents 56 years, (M om's side)

• That's really cool man, they havnt explored that much and it's good if they happy.

• Uh... no. My own parents have made it work for thirty years. None of their siblings have divorced either. None of the friends from college or high school who I'm still in touch with have done so either. Some people get it right.

• That's so incredible seriously. You must be super religious or just yeah, got it right.

• Super-religious? No. Some of them are, I admit - OK, two of those couples are, but the rest aren't.

It comes down to the right people getting together, making a commitment and meaning it. These days too many people are afraid to open up to each other no matter how physically intimate they've gotten, and keep holding out for the chance to get in the pants of "someone better."

• Dude... I find it stupid, but they have stood the test of time so I have to give them credit (if they happy)

• The only reason divorce is such a problem is because people rarely get married for the right reasons these days.

• Like sticking his neck in a guillotine. Poor bastard.