What is the closest relative you should be allowed to legally marry?

In other words: How close is too close for a marriage? Bear in mind that everyone is distantly related to their spouse.

Assume both people are consenting adults, obviously.

• First Cousin
  • Second Cousin (Parents Cousin's Children)
  • Third Cousin (Grandparents Cousin's Grandchildren)
  • Further then that
  • Sibling
For the sake of this, all relatives are by blood.

Most Helpful Guy

• Knowing that first-cousin procreation doesn't have a terrifically higher rate of genetic problems than two completely unrelated people, I don't see why it has to be restricted at that point. I'm not even sure I would restrict it to siblings, as long as they are consenting adults and are responsible for what they do.

Some of our distaste for incest is because those people grew up close to us or are familiar-looking. But people legally marry childhood friends and familiar-looking friends all the time.

The rest of our distaste is just cultural and doesn't actually have much to do with the results of procreation, even if we use those to justify it. Hell, incest used to not even necessarily involve family members. In some places, you couldn't marry someone if your sibling had married their sibling. It's not a hard-and-fast system of morality, it's a cultural disgust, like homosexuality. If in modern times we can recognize that love is more important than legal tradition, and thus legalize gay marriage, we shouldn't be putting such a taboo on close-relative marriages.

What Girls Said 4

• I have an extremely liberal outlook on most things so I feel that any relatives should be able to marry if they so choose. I would say however, that restrictions perhaps ought to be put in place as far as procreation is concerned.. simply because the closeness in the gene pool can account for problems in the offspring (I can't claim to know any more on it). Having said that, smokers and drug addicts are freely entitled to have children in the knowledge that their babies may well be affected by it...

• None. There are 7 billion people in the world. There's no reason why you need to marry one that you're related to.

• You don't know all 7 billion though.
      And if you have a cousin who is close in age and you spend a fair amount of time with, it can happen.

• Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't mean you should deprive others Of the right!

• Hey! You do what you want! You asked a question, I gave my answer!

• Third cousin I guess

• Further than that because I want my children to be as healthy as possible.

• Okay. But we're talking legally here. If two people, not yourself, who are cousins want to get married, should the government prevent it from happening?

• It's not a 50/50. More like a 60/40 or 70/30. Whatever happens, happens for a reason but people also need to be careful. Nobody knowingly puts themself at risk just because "what's going to happen is going to happen". But I agree with what you said, Allah knows best. @arabianpwincess197

• Its more of a 50/50 tbh. Marrying with cousins etc is more common in Middle Eastern cultures. But if you see there are many whites who have children with disabilities. So they haven't married cousins etc so how come they have children who aren't as you put it "healthy"

What Guys Said 7

• You should be allowed to marry any consenting adult.

• A third cousin is really far away there is your first cousin which is your parents siblings kids then first cousin once removed which is like your parent's first cousin then your first cousin twice removed which is like first cousin once removed kid's then there is your third cousin which is like what you said.

• First cousins should be able to marry if they don't have kids together. Most places already allow 2nd cousins to marry. Genetically speaking, the risk of defects in children between 2nd cousins is negligible compared to baseline occurrence.

• Like 20th cousin, 100 times removed.

• Statistically speaking, especially if you date within your own ethnicity, you've got something like a 99.9999% chance to be 16th cousins with everyone.

• from another continent would be best

• Inlaws since they are not related by blood.

• I live in Iran an Islamic country Muslims here are allowed to marry their first cousins.

• You are also allowed to point nukes at Israel, apparently.

• Then your country really needs new leadership.

• I hope so.