In your opinion, how long should a couple be together for it to be appropriate to consider marriage?

The questions says it all :) how long do you think two people need to be together before they get married?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't really think the length of time is THAT important. What I think is important is that you live together BEFORE getting married! I cannot stress that enough! You never really get to know someone until you live with them. My mother, for example, sated my father for many years before they decided to get married. Then once they got married they moved in together (obviously). Only then did she realize what she had gotten herself into. He has a lot of mental problems that he was able to hide so well because they didn't live together. But once they moved in it all started to show.

He refused to get help and really messed me and my siblings up. Eventually my mother realized that he would never accept help and she filed for divorce because he was tearing our family apart. She said that had he known he was like that before, she never would have married him. He put us through hell all because my mother didn't really know him even after being together for many years. So just make sure that you live with your partner so you can really get to know them before getting yourself into a lifelong commitment.

What Guys Said 6

• As long as it takes to fall in love.
    By this I mean that you can both imagine the rest of your lives together and would both cry if the other died. At this point I would consider marriage

• No less than 4 years, if want to avoid divorce or an unhappy marriage.
    Your chances of still being happily married in 20 years time are then something like a whopping 40%.

• A couple years maybe.

• Like a year or two probably.

• A couple of mouths. If they really like each other then there's no need to make it longer

• On our 7th date.

What Girls Said 4

• I think it is more important to consider what you have gone through together as a couple. If you have never faced a challenge or seen each other at your worst, then don't take on marriage, because marriage is agreeing to stay with that person regardless of who they become or what they do, you want to be as prepared as you can before committing to marriage.

• I really think it varies couple to couple, but generally I think people should be together at least a consecutive year. It's hard to say really, because some people might be together for years, but still have a very unhealthy relationship, and you should only marry if your relationship is a healthy one.

• I d say a year or so. Just so you really know each other for sure. But other than that.. I don't think there's a limit.
    My fiance proposed on our two year:) And I'm young so I've been getting a lot of opinions on that.
    But I think if you know, you know.
    Well,, granted everyone is of legal age and all haha

• At least a couple of years.