Would you sign a prenup if your fiance' asked you to?

What are your views on prenups? (Gold diggers need not answer)

125

Most Helpful Girl

• Eh... not a fan...

To me, they mean that he thinks our relationship will fail. Which makes me wonder what the point of getting married in the first place is when he's obviously already thinking it's going to fail. Especially if I marry my current boyfriend. Neither of us have any assets to protect in the first place.

I'd sign one if absolutely necessary but gonna be honest... I wouldn't think he was in love with me. I'd skip the newlywed honeymoon phase. The marriage would become a business transaction to me.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 11

• I think it shows that it installs doubt in people. I am not one to go for someone for their money, that is actually one of my triggers, is when people only talk about the money that person has. But it would make it seem like they don't trust me, or don't know me enough to know that I am not in it for the money. If I really loved them and they wanted me to do it, I would probably end up doing it, if I felt it was worth it.

• Gold diggers can deceive the most perceptive people for years on end in the hopes of financially draining them. Men and women have done this to others.

• See I just don't believe most people are like you. Even some that are eventually turn into aholes after being married for awhile. I just feel everyone has these huge delusions of grandeur. Most marriages fail but everyone says it won't happen to them. Simply saying that won't actually make it not happen. I'd rather just devote myself to a girl and have a family with her and my only bond that I'd need was my love for her. But for most people that's not good enough. They need a stupid ring with a mineral on it if they're going to not just leave and find someone that will put one on their finger. Everyone says their marriage is built on love but when you ask them enough questions you know that is just a lie. Without marriage it's not a lie it's the truth.

• I know what you mean. Personally I don't really like big flashy things, it draws too much attention to me. I don't like a lot of attention, no matter if it is positive or negative attention, it just makes me uncomfortable. I know a lot of people settle for relationships because they feel like there isn't going to be anything better out there. I know that there will be the person out there, and I don't want to be married multiple times, but if it happens, it happens. I believe that there are certain people you are suppose to be with to change with, and grow with, but not stay with forever. They are just suppose to help you, and be there for that time, not for the rest of it. But then there is the person that you are suppose to be with forever, and change together and even if you change and they don't they still love you. I don't know if that exists, but I sure as h*ll hope so.

• I guess I would. To everyone saying that it means he thinks the marriage will fail: you fail to realize you're not special or unique. Most marriages end in divorce. Yours probably will too.

• It would depend on the situation and what the prenup said.

With my current partner? No. We both entered this relationship with nothing of real value, so I don't see the point.

• Exactly as others have said, it feels more like a business transaction/relationship. If he asked me to sign one, I would be very hurt. I think when people are in love and wanting to spend the rest of their lives with each other, they shouldn't be thinking about "if it fails". It sets that expectation for it to fail. I just hate the idea of it. It has nothing to do with money.

• Then why get married. The whole point of marriage has always been about financial gain for both families. You can build trust and love and children with your own family without marriage. The whole thing of marriage is about business. It's only our imagination that think it's about anything but business. I understand for religious reasons but outside of that it has no place except if it's a business decision.

• Thank you. :) Well, I can't say for sure, but honestly it might change for the right girl. You just have to think how important your desire to not marry is on a scale of 1-10, and how big is her scale to get married? If you're not completely opposed, you just don't think it's needed, then why not? If it will make her happy. My cousin's now husband used to be really against marriage and say he would never marry her, because he was against the idea of marriage, and it really upset her, but she still stuck by him. Eventually, he did it to make her happy, and she said she was really shocked how enthusiastic he was about the marriage and the wedding. In the end, he loved her and while he thought similarly to you, he decided to marry her, because he knew she secretly wanted it. So for the right girl, who knows. :p

• Then why don't any girls marry a really nice but homeless guy? Lol

• NO! unless you want get slap

• I would actually prefer to sign a prenup when I get married, I don't have much but it would make things easier.

• I suppose I would but I'd be offended he felt like he had to have that because to me marriage is forever

• No, why should I?

• It takes finances out of the marriage equation and there's no doubt the reason you're devoting yourselves to each other is out of love.

• I can understand that. I just don't understand why people want to get married now-a-days outside of religious reasons. It's always been about families gaining land and property in the past or religious reasons. However, there are very few devoted religious people in the modern world yet there are so many marriages but everyone is offended by prenups. I understand from the religious peoples perspective why they hate it but not for the rest.

• I'd like to tie our two families together, have the same last name as my kids and lover. I'd like to be able to visit him after a major surgery or traumatic event, if he ends up in the hospital, as family. Just being Mrs. **** would be interesting enough. I'd like to be able to tell little kids that run up to us that he is my husband. Just those kind of things. I know they are small, but they mean a lot to those who want to get married.

• I don't believe in divorce but sure

• never That.

• I wouldn't have a problem with that. I have a good job and make good money. We both can sign one.

What Guys Said 5

• There's not really a need for one if there is no significant imbalance in assets and expected lifetime earnings, and both partners share expenses, but I'll stand the issue on its head:

Presuming a financially imbalanced relationship, a partner who truly loved their spouse would *volunteer* to sign a prenup to put said spouse's mind and heart at ease by demonstrating they weren't with them with the intent of taking their stuff when the relationship had run its course.

Absolutely I would do that if I was on the light side of the financial contributions, and absolutely I would sign a prenup if my partner asked.

But then, I'm one of the few people in the world who truly would put pragmatism over the belief in magic (true love, The One, etc.). I would much rather make sure that, should we get divorced, we and our children are all in a position to maintain safe and healthy lives.

My dad wound up living out of a car when my mom divorced him, and when he finally moved into a room in some guy's house, his three kids ended up staying with him most of the time despite her having custody because she was incompetent and often incoherent. My mom thought that, after several miserable years with my dad, she was entitled to be happy, even at the expense of everyone else in the family. Do you think she felt that way when they got married and had kids together? Come on.

You can't foresee what will happen in your relationship down the line, whether your partner will lose his or her job, get seriously ill or injured, wind up being abusive, demonstrate lapses of judgment when opportunities present themselves, or find someone they think they'll be happier with than you. You can trust them and believe in the magic of The One all you want, but that won't stop those things from happening.

• if she asked, sure.. but in the very back of my mind i would begin to question everything... lol

• If she asked, I would refuse. But I would never ask her to sign one. If we are getting married, we're not gonna quit and steal eachother's physical belongings. Its sad that it happens.

• But you don't know what's truly going through the other persons mind. They could spend years seducing and being affectionate with her only goal is to get what you have and then leave you at the most convenient moment. Some people will do whatever they can to get money. Some rob banks others financially ruin their ex-spouse. Statistically speaking if you get married it will end. Everyone always think it's not gonna happen to them but the majority who thought that were wrong.

• Well, if that's her plan, she's playing this wrong. It would be smarter to go after someone with money.

• If a girl asked me to sign a prenup i would not care. However the reverse is usually viewed as shallow. Double standers are a bitch aren't they.

• Prenup or no marriage. I respect the idea women have that it's unromantic, but I know a few homeless men still paying alimony, with their ex-wives living in the homes they are still paying for. Seems to me her romance is my homelessness. Sign a prenup or get out of my life.