Guys, do you think it is important to ask a female's parents for her hand in marriage?

Just wondering.

• Yes, to show respect
    38% (6)
  • No, I think she'd be insulted
    31% (5)
  • I don't care, and she doesn't either
    31% (5)
And you are? I'm a GuyGirls can not vote on this poll

7

Most Helpful Guy

• I actually think it's kinda disrespectful to your intended to do that, it implies that as a grown woman she isn't capable of making the decision to marry on her own, she needs her parents to OK it first (whereas men presumably, are capable of making such decisions without mammy and daddy's help).

I sure as hell didn't ask permission from my wife's parents befoee I proposed, and if a guy came to me asking permission to marry my daughter I wouldn't be impressed. I'd laugh at him and tell him to go away and talk to the only person that gas any say on the matter, my daughter.

What Guys Said 6

• I'm gunna go against the majority and say I think asking her parents for permission is very important, and its something I plan on doing when I get married and I think everyone should.

This is because I do want that permission as almost a blessing. When I ask the parents (note parents not the father) for permission to marry their daughter, I'm not asking for permission to take their daughter, what I'm asking for is permission for them to take me into their family. The bride will give you all the permission you need to marry her, but her parents permission to marry her shows me that its not just her who will accept me but her family too, as she's (the bride) a little partial. That's important to me, which is why I will ask.

• Well, I guess I can see that! Thanks for sharing

• Thanks! I don't really think it has to be a disrespectful or insulting thing to do as long as you're doing it for the right reasons :)

• No way. I'm not asking her parents to marry me. I'm asking her. Assuming she's at least 18 it's her decision, not theirs. That's not to say I wouldn't care if they didn't like me, but that would just be a lesser issue.

• Yeahh agreed. Plus the whole asking for their hand in marriage was to arrange how many goats or whatever should be traded for her :s lol

• No it's not. I'm not marrying her parents, am I?

• I think it is very respectful to do. There is a certain love that I would hope a father would have for his daughter and vice versa. In respect of that love I believe it would be selfless to ask the father. It is a respectful gesture. Of course she has the final say and daddy usually does not want to upset his daughter so more times than not he will say yes even if he disagrees.

• I asked my wifes parents. Went well and we all have a gokd relationship with each other.

• I asked my wife's dad out of respect for him.