Does marriage even matter anymore?

Governments makes laws all time that implies living together is the same thing as getting married, you can risk losing the majority of your stuff even without getting married and I have trouble coming up with any advantage unlocking through marriage.

Finally, a couple living together can be exactly as close as a married couple can especially if they have done so in an even amount of time compared to a married couple. The divorce rate speaks for itself too.

So my question is, why even bother?

bumb
Historically speaking even in the past, marriage used to be about advantage/disadvantage. Back then, it was either about power (especially women pre-feminism movements), money or simply to unite families in an alliance.

Most Helpful Girl

• I know tons of people will disagree but I regard marriage as a failing constituiton that is obsolete in society. Getting married isn't the default of everyone's life anymore, it's just a choice that is dependent upon the individual (at least in the Western world)

What Girls Said 5

• I'm not sure why so many people relate these things to marriage. You realize you can get prenups. Also there are no advantages to being married, you either want to or you don't, you're not being paid to do it lol And if you're only doing it for an advantage then it's probably not your thing. Also why does the divorce rate matter to you, it's not the end of the world to get married or divorced, just do what you want to do, don't look for things that give you advantages either way, you either want to or you don't and there's nothing wrong with either choice.

• What's the difference between cohabitation and marriage?

• To me, there is none, it's really up to you which one makes you happy. I just don't think you need to let divorce rates and advantages effect your decision one way or another, those things aren't important.

• Yeah I'm with you but my bf wants to so were engaged bc while I dont see the point I'm not going to crush his dreams as I love him.

:-)

• To those who know its value, yes it does

• And what value is that? The price on the wedding? Because in that case I'd rather have a car for the same budget.

• Like a house warming celebrating the fact you're moving in together?

• No like a marriage in a church, mosque, then a few ceremonies (depends what religion you follow) and then a party or something

• Does marriage even matter anymore?"
    Well, it does to me.

• If you don't want to get married, fine, don't get married. But please, don't begrudge the rest of us. I want to get marries because I want to be officially joined together as one. If you're really in love, somehow I think that element of unity is worth so much and adds so much to the relationship. You don't even need a huge wedding. Just a small, casual gathering of your family and closest friends to witness the union and share your happiness. The huge, expensive deal is pretty overrated, in my opinion.

What Guys Said 6

• The reason that governments are passing laws to make cohabitation more and more legally resemble marriage is that fewer people (especially men) these days want to get married. What governments don't seem to understand is that, the more that they make cohabitation legally resemble marriage, the fewer people will want to cohabit!

• The end result is that I can't tell cohabitation apart from marriage anymore, so what's the point?

• marriage does matter to those who value it... i can mostly talk about myself... as a first i wouldn't get married lightly it is a very important decision but i think at some point in a relationship it has to evolve to that..
    i dont think i can be with a girl forever without marriage..
    but you can't look at marriage as advantage/disadvantage , its not a government law and neither one will take the other's place..
    as for the divorce rate well just dont rush it.. make sure he is the right person for you and that you're ok (seriously ok) with his past and present etc...
    just make sure everything's right and your marriage will be fine..
    understand that if its broke, u fix it not throw it away , its a commitment and make sure you're up for it

• It does to some people.

• I'm kinda indifferent about it. All I gotta say is if they want to get married then.. that's their choice & the same can be said if they don't.

• I don't know about the legal aspect but I think it means a lot to people as a social institution

• Marriage is off the table for me. No problem committing to a girl long term and even having a family with her, but no marriage.