If a husband and wife agree for her to be a stay at home, is a husband obligated to give her spending money?

Not anything extravagant, just for personal stuff and extra things for children. Many men do this for their wives, I have noticed, but some do not. Is it wrong if they do not?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think that he's necessarily obligated to, but I think that it'd be a good idea.

What Guys Said 10

• Yes. How else would she get money?

• Being a stay at home puts you under tough situations like these... they don't give you money, they dont give you enough money and if they do, there will always come a time where they shove it in your face. Best advice: work on the side so you can make some money of your own that you yourself worked for.

• Yes, definitely. Both partners must have money they control and do not have to account for, and it should be about equal. Otherwise they will be constantly be fighting over money.

• Are kids envolved... you know like a stay at home type deal?

• I think they need to create a budget for personal use and then split it 50/50.

• Yeah
    Why not because she need some financial support and he had give all the freedom to spend that money this only works with well understand couples.

• No obligations for anything unless it is agreed to.

• Is the man away for some time or what exactly is the scenario?

• Id say so since its almost like a job. In some countries i think if you have a house wife you have to give her a salary. In many respects it would get to the point where she's almost like a slave.

• Yeah, but as little as possible. So basically, no.

• Explain

• Give her as much as she needs to survive and run the house. Not a penny more.

• Here that people, not a penny more!

What Girls Said 3

• He can obviously afford to give her spending money if he can agree to her staying at home. He is not obligated but I think he should.

• That's why I would never depend on a man for money lol

• Whenever someone asks a question like this one, I am pretty shocked how many guys say "no, the woman should not have any money". I sincerely hope it's because these guys are immature, young and inexperienced. If a woman stays at home to take care of the children and run the entire household, it obviously means that she cannot work (depending on the ages of the children, of course). So yes, I do think a guy who agrees to or even asks his wife to stay at home has to give her some money. If it was a stranger raising his kids, cleaning his house, doing all the laundry, taking care of the garden, filling the fridge, etc., then he'd also have to pay. I am not sure how any man would be happy with treating his wife and mother of his kids as his little slave who can work, but cannot expect any payment for it.