Husband makes fun of my religious pursuit?

A year ago I made the bold decision to attend a new church with my boys. Progressively my siblings began to join me. It's great but it's something my husband talks negatively about. That now we made a family thing. Nothing bad in my eyes. Regardless of their attendance I will still pursue a relationship with God. Now I want to take my adult baptism classes against his will. He refuses to stay with the kids even though he had nothing to do, he questions my beliefs, tries to confine my worship to my home. my sister met a guy there and now he wants me to find a new church which I refused. why can't he just let me be?

Most Helpful Guy

• Speaking as an atheist here, your husband is being a fucking prick.
    You do your thing. Let him make his shitty comments and just ignore 'em.

• Thank you! Your answer caught me off guard.

• It is each party's duty to support their significant other in their pursuit/lack of faith. He's doing the opposite of this.

I see y'all have kids together... have y'all considered marriage counseling?

• I agree!! He doesn't even support my plan to further my education, attend charity events. yet I was on board with his decision to forfeit eating pork, meat, vacations I wasn't really for. I have mentioned counciling but he says we are not broken so there's no need to fix it. Even after I expressed my feelings and (past) suicidal thoughts

What Guys Said 5

• I'm a Christian but some non-Christians think religion is a big scam like palm-reading or whatever, he will have trouble with it I think I'm sorry.

• Probably because he thinks being subservient to the church is a bad influence for you and his children.

• He has never mentioned that and I would kinda understand. If I were him I'd watch the kids then.

• Maybe u should do massive research on ur religion. Find the core of what u are beliv

• Well i pray that Jesus Changes your husband heart and that he will encounter God and that he will have Godly dreams and that he while get saved and be the greater person and husband and your Kids will follow of God too i. JESUS Mighty name amen :)

• Amen amen!! Thank you

• Ugh, its complicated! Too bad you're anon. It would help to have a Christian friend er acquaintance

• Well i am a Christian and you seem like a lovely lady and i not fan of divorce but if that what feel to do then go right a head but i believe your husband can change and you be so proud of the fact that your blessed one that is married to him ;)

• I know this isn't what you want to hear, but his behavior sounds like a deal-breaker to me. Aren't spouses to be supportive, or at least tolerant? What kind of relationship is that?

• I agree! There are other marital problems and this is another deal breaker. I get no support for anything I want to do. It's tough to break this marriage though.

What Girls Said 2

• Im sorry to hear that you are going through such a rough time, but good for you for sticking to it. It's not an easy thing to do. I don't know if you've ever watched Duck Dynasty, but there family are Christians, and Miss Kay had the same issues with her Husband Phil. But she persisted in her faith, and took their children to church, and he eventually saw God in a new light. I'm not saying that your husband will start believing, because some people don't. But I've copied and pasted the video of their testimonial here, and I really hope it helps you. There is some other stuff on this site worth checking out too!
    http://www.iamsecond.com/seconds/the-robertsons/

• I will watch it (it is 26 minutes lol) I hope he can come to a religion. If not for me than for the next woman in his life.

• That dude is a nut-job!

• I'm all for people believing whatever they want, but Phil is a fucking lunatic.

• Love is about allowing each other to pursue their goals or dreams, encoraging them as well as supporting them. It's his way of controlling you. Maybe he is scared you will be brainwashed into leaving him, or even leave him for a fellow believer. I have no idea why he wouldn't want you to serve God if that is what you want to do.

Maybe you could use this experience as an opportunity to rely on God to guide you through prayer. I am not religious , but i believe in God. I admire anyone who pursues a life of God and chooses to live by his standards. It is his will that you serve him, so i am sure he will guide you in the right direction , and open the way some how to serve him , regardless of your husband opposing to it.

• Yes I definitely agree!! Insecurities stem from knowing he's not doing things correctly by me and acknowledging that I can find better. Seems like a personal battle. I have always supported him. Hopefully one day I can meet someone who can support me as much as I support him.

• Thank you! Great support!

• You're welcome! Xx