When you get married will you sign the prenup?

I will not marry if she will not allow a prenup.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Given the divorce rate, a man is a fool if he marries without one of these.

If she won't sign, she doesn't love you and was marrying you for your resources. That simple. Good riddance, bye.

• Thanks for the MHO, and for the PSA.

• Why do you say "man" only lol. Some women want one too.

• Because men are the ones who end up losing in court. 97% of alimony is paid by men (US Census Bureau). I could go on, but I'm on a mobile.

Long story short, men are the ones who stand to lose in a divorce

Of course, given your screen name, I'm sure you are well aware already @girlslie

What Girls Said 6

• This one is difficult for me. On the one hand I know 100% that no matter how messy things got, how hurt and angry I could be, I would not go after my husband's hard-earned assets out of greed and spite. I watched my best friend's perfectly happy life get ripped to shreds because of a horrible divorce, and it's something I know i will never allow to happen in my life. And at the same time, i feel that marriage is a promise to be together forever, no matter what. Signing a "just in case" contract kind of taints that..
    On the other hand, if I marry into a rich family and it's the parents who are worried for their son, I would gladly sign a prenup to ease their minds. As long as my fiance trusted i wouldn't take him to the cleaners if we were to divorce, that's all that really matters to me.

• No. My partner and I started dating when neither of us had a thing to our names except for student debt. Everything we have now, we've earned together. It seems silly and unnecessary for us to get a pre-nup.

If the situation was different, I'd consider it.

• If I even want to get engaged in the first place.

When? Probably the day there is no Thursday. Let me know when that happens.

So if I don't have marriage as something I even want... I guess the answer would have to be no. No engagement = no marriage and no marriage seems there is no paper to ever signed.

• nope. my boyfriend and i didn't have shit when we started dating. we made our lives together so why sign a prenup

• Yeah, as long as he signs mine, or does it work both ways?

• Yeah, sure. I would read over it carefully with a lawyer, but it's no problem. I don't need or want anything from him in the event of a divorce - only what I had or contributed to in the marriage. I'm perfectly able to take care of myself and live a great lifestyle through my own work and earnings.

A pre-nup just makes it easier to figure out the financial parts of detangling after a divorce. Hopefully it isn't needed at all and we have a happy marriage, but in case things go horribly wrong, at least it's there.

• that's nice. What do you do for a living?

• I'm primarily a student at the moment, but being a physician's the goal. First year of medicine starts in the Fall. Joy.

What Guys Said 6

• I don't know man. Signing a pre-nup is like assuming the marriage is gonna fail. But at the same time, divorce rates are at 50% and as a man, it seems like we lose the divorce most of the time.
    This is a very tough decision...

• lol, no girl is going to say no. Having no pre nup is like taking out a house inusrance policy. You hope to never have to use it, but its a very nice safety net in case the house burns down. I don't really expect women to act against their self interest/preservation by removing the goodie basket that makes marriage a worthwhile risk for those women who marry a guy that makes more money than they do (which is usually the case)

• Well so far they all said no

• if a girl won't sign a prenup I am not getting married period

• @Asker

well in that case, id start becoming more comfortable with being single sooner rather than later

• I don't want to get married at all. And many courts don't recognize a prenup or twist its meaning.

• Any guy who doesn't have a prenup would be a fool.

• Haha, look how all the girls voted no.

• I mean... we're getting married... why even think of divorce? Well... I won't get married anyway