Are engagement rings relevant anymore?

It was once explained or me that an engagement ring was something of significant monetary value that a woman could sell if she got divorced, thus losing the sole income of the household. Wether or not that is accurate or you agree, the question still stands - in the age of nearly equal incomes, both parents doing the parenting, equal rights, is the engagement ring necessary or a relic of past times?

• Damn right it is
  • It's a traditon... plus it sets expectation
  • Bleh, I'm ambivalent... whatever that means
  • Yes, they are now completely unnecessary
  • Just show me the answers

Most Helpful Guy

• You must have heard of people who've been engaged for many years. For them, it's just a symbol of commitment rather than intent to be married.

Or, people who are 'engaged to be engaged'.

All of this stuff is and always has been, artificial constructs and concepts invented by humans. The way I look at it, you feel your love for your partner (s) and vice versa. However, only you truly appreciate it, so if you like, you can get rings or pieces of paper or whatever to communicate this to other people. Personally, I think that's a bit like posting pictures of your food on Instagram - people don't really care that much, it's nice you're having a good time but there's no need to wave it in others' faces.

What Girls Said 6

• I think if you proposed to an American woman, she'd be expecting a ring. It's culture and sort of expected. I heard in Italy, the couple merely talk about getting married and that's it. That sounds boring to me. I've also heard our way of doing things here sounds like it belittles women.

• Engagement rings were actually pushed by the diamond cartel DeBeers and by jewellery brands like Tiffany. The ring is nice but it is not necessary. It's just a symbol.

I have an engagement ring though, lol.

• it's necessary for me lol. wtf. i can't imagine being engaged without a ring. that tradition is pretty heavily ingrained into my brain. i would feel like a regular gf without a ring.

• There's no denying that the tradition has been well established. However, we have broken with many of the traditons of the thirties. Are there any others you keep alive?

• Wasting thousands in some silly trinket is ludicrous. I would expect my boyfriend to be smarter with his money.

• They don't really seem necessary. Plus if a guy gave me one I would be paranoid about losing it. I'm bad at losing things so anything that is over 100 dollars I rather it be for something that you can use. Plus any ring I try to wear I end up just messing with it constantly. Then forget to ever wear it again, lol.

• Why the down vote?

• No clue. Though looking at other comments it seems like anyone saying an engagement ring is pointless. The same person put a down vote. So I think where I said "I rather it be for something that you can use." down voted it, lol.

• I think it makes a great symbol of love (and it helps when fending off creepers XD) but I wouldn't expect/require my boyfriend to fork over thousands of dollars for one.

What Guys Said 6

• They're bullshit advertising. If you have to get one, pick it up at a pawn shop.

priceonomics.com/.../diamonds-are-bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU

• I want to let her know how much I appreciate and love her and engagement ring is something she'll appreciate not because of it's value, but it's promises within that ring. If I was ever going to get married at all, I've always planned it like going to a trip via Paris/Italy, dine at a revolving restaurant, and proposed in the Eiffel tower.

• Engagement rings have some relevance, as far as shortening the life-expectancy of a marriage.
    In general, the more expensive the ring the shorter the marriage will be.
    www.nydailynews.com/.../...study-article-1.1967451

• My wife and I each have wedding rings. No engagement ring for us.

• You don't even need rings at all. My parents have never had rings.

• @musicbrain5

Hers is a diamond solitaire with a vintage design.

Mine is carbide steel.
      (As tough as that is I still broke it once -- bought an identical replacement.)

• I'm guessing tungsten carbide since you said you broke it.

• no... rings r just a PIECE of jewelry... they don;t mean anything at all!

• Here I thought this would be a question about how people these days stay engaged for years on end without actually marrying, or get each other "promise rings" but don't go so far as to say they're actually engaged to their significant other...