Would you ever sign a prenuptial agreement before getting married?

How do you feel about prenuptial agreements? Would you want one yourself or would you feel offended if your partner asked for one?

I was having this conversation with someone today, she said she would never sign one because it would offend her that her fiance would even ask and she would feel that he would be "expecting the marriage to fail." Personally, I feel pretty neutral about it. I wouldn't want one myself but if my partner wanted it, I would probably sign it. Hopefully my future marriage would never end in divorce but, there's no way of knowing what the future holds.

• Yes, I would want a prenuptial agreement myself
  • Yes, I wouldn't want one myself but if my partner wanted it, I would sign
  • No, I never want a prenuptial agreement and would not sign if my partner wanted one

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as the agreement is fair, then I wouldn't have a problem signing it. I don't really own much worth protecting with a prenup but they are clearly important for anyone that stands to lose something. At least nothing that wouldn't already be protected with current divorce laws, which can vary largely from state to state.

Funny thing is that out of all the women that have ever claimed they are insulting, I have never once heard a rich woman claim prenups are insulting. I think that fact is really telling about their real intentions. If a woman did have the view that prenups were insulting, then I would get the feeling she was planning of screwing me over further down the road and was upset that she might not be able to.

We really need to be more understanding of the fact that even if our partner loves and trusts us, they still need to protect themselves. I would however have an issue with any clause that could give someone the power to hurt the other person, as then false accusations can then be used against one another. I would want one that most easily lets us walk away and end things fairly.

• Yeah, I agree. I don't think they're insulting but I know some women do.

What Guys Said 26

• If there was a lot of wealth on the table before the partnership, then a prenuptial would make sense. Money made before isn't really 'joint' money, and someone just showing up shouldn't automatically entitle them to half of what somebody made before they were on the scene.

Money made while the people are together is pretty much fair game though, as both people are contributing to a partnership at that point, even if they are not contributing equally in financial terms. Once it's a 'partnership', then it's a partnership.

So if both people had similar capital, similar finances, similar debt load, then a prenup would be pointless, in my opinion, and I would feel a bit insulted to sign one. If one person was sitting on a mountain of cash before they other showed up though, I would sign one, or want the partner to sign one. If the partners love each other, they shouldn't oppose the signing of something that basically legally protects what they shouldn't have the right to morally anyway.

• I would sign one if they wanted, but it would have to be one that protected both of us, not just her.

• A prenup' is absolutely necessary if there are children from previous relationships. These kids need protection from losing everything if their parent gets divorced.

• Just out of curiosity, how would it affect children? I mean, I know it's mostly about finances, I'm just wondering how children from a previous marriage would be affected or mentioned in a prenup.

• Say you have a nest egg saved for your kids college tuition. You remarry. You die or divorce. Your surviving spouse gets your assets and they have no desire to fund your kids tuition. They take your nest egg and travel instead.
      A prenup could be worded to prevent your assets from going to your spouse/ex. and direct that the funds be used for the benefit of your kids.

• Oh okay, yeah, I understand now. Thanks for explaining :)

• Yeah I would because divorce always screws the one who makes the most money.

• I feel prenups are the smart thing to do in this day and age!

Both parties gotta be fiscally responsible.

• So would you ask for one yourself?

• Yeah, I think two people should definitely be on the same page regarding this.

• Absolutely, Ms. HoneyBee! Gotta protect your assets!

• I haven't really thought about it, because I don't think it's likely to happen.

I also feel somewhat neutral. I want an ideal marriage where divorce never seems necessary, but even dewy-eyed fiances should be aware that their premarital bliss doesn't mean a long-term marriage will work.

• Marriage is in effect a prenuptial agreement in itself. So, if you're against prenuptial agreements, you shouldn't get married!

Even if I could have a prenuptial agreement, I still wouldn't want to marry anyway.

• I suppose another way of putting this is that the same argument used against having a prenuptial agreement could be used against having a marriage. (By 'marriage' here, I of course don't mean a private agreement between two people. I mean a public agreement enforceable by the state on its own terms.)

• Yeah, I think that makes sense.

• i don't wanaa marry generally but i find this agreement silly basically

y's needed anyway? i'm surprised! o_O

• Lol but if you were to ever get married, what would you do if your partner wanted one?

• oh well... in that case i'd not refuse basically... wot could i do?

• Yeah, either sign it or not get married I suppose.

• I would

And I don't understand why some people bitch about it.

Why does preparing for failure, have to be seen as expecting it?

• Well I want to be in a traditional relationship, and me making her sign a prenup feels wrong and extremely unfair to her. But maybe there is one that says if she is not loyal then she gets nothing out of the divorce? With any other situation she does deserve something out of the divorce.

But if I didn't want to be in a traditional relationship and so I would be in a modern relationship, I would be very wary about a woman who wouldn't sign one of them.

• Yeah, I see where you're coming from. If you look at the comments under commiedearest's response, she mentions something like that too.

• I would have said no before GaG, but after seeing all the comments/arguments I definitely would.

Only for legal protection if I somehow become a gazillionaire and she resented me and wanted to clean me out.

• Not that I plan on getting married but yes, she'll be signing a prenup.

• They are mandatory for me to get married. If the girl is not okay with signing one then she isn't the one for me.

• If Howard Wolowitz can do it so can I, I can under stand protecting my self and them protecting their self in the event of a divorce.

• Yeah of course, no problem with that

• Yes, it protects both parties and is common sense. Then again, why marry in the first place? Just cohabit and work things out fairly.

• lol if i´d be wealthy, i´d expect her to sign this XD

• There is no "just in case" about it- prenuptial agreement = doubt in the marriage. That's all there is to it.

If i was doubting my relationship with a girl, there is no way in hell I'd be planning in marrying her in the first place.

• That's your opinion, not everyone views it that way but if you do, then of course I can understand not signing one.

• @jacquesvol
      Still, if i chose to marry the girl in the first place, that's a risk I'd be willing to take. The whole concept of marriage is a risk. I'd never ask a partner to sign it. I they asked me, maybe i would, but I'd be extremely offended.

• A prenup is also about your savings if you both die (car accident or so)

• Don't really know much about them, but it seems like a smart move from what I've read.

• I guess if she will sign one for me as well

• Yeah why not no problemo

• wouldn't get married without one.

• I don't know. Good question.

• yes, common sense.

• I would sign one because all that hard work to pay off the house will be gone instantly if they were to divorce because this day and age women get the house I don't know why

• Yeah, I know several divorced couples and the woman in both instances got pretty much everything.

• Yeah, gotta protect ya neck!

What Girls Said 4

• My mom and step dad have one and they're the cutest freaking couple ever who couldn't love one another more.

I don't see a problem with it as long as it isn't like congratulations I'm screwing you over if anything goes wrong. It's usually a way to protect familial assets anyway so nbd.

• Yeah, that's how I view it as well. I don't see it as expecting the marriage to fail, just preparing in case something were to happen.

• Exactly. While your spouse is entitled to things you achieve together they shouldn't be able to take things you had before.

• Yeah, I definitely agree with you.

• Yes, I would. And considering I have a trust fund coming to me mostly in the form of stocks it's something I may seriously consider.

• I forgot to add I would only sign one with a fidelity clause

• I think it's a reasonable expectation that if someone steps out, you don't have to hold yourself up to the standards of niceties like prenups haha. I would assume a guy would want the same and I'd have no problem signing it.

• Oh okay, yeah, that makes sense. Lol I agree.

• I would have no qualms about it. Reason being I already own a house & have saving put away for retirement.

• Yes. My parents signed one. They just celebrated their 25th anniversary.

• Awesome! I like hearing positive stories of people actually staying together. Lol I feel like I hear about divorce all the time but not so much long-term happy marriages, unfortunately.

• Yeah, it's a shame. So I'm pretty proud of my parents, they hit the jackpot lol. And nevermind that, they basically proved everyone who says that prenups = doubting your relationship wrong. :D 25 years is a hell of a long time to doubt your relationship.

• haha I agree! My parents are still happily married after 22 years which I'm thankful for. I don't think they signed a prenup but either way, I agree that signing one doesn't necessarily mean "doubting the relationship."