Do you think it is a sign of poor character when someone breaks a marital vow?

To me only something like mental/emotional/physical abuse, or adultery are viable reasons for divorce, otherwise it shows your word means nothing, and it shows a lack of honor and loyalty.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends. I mean there are times when breaking vows is not a sign of poor character at all; for instance "In sickness and in health" incorporates severe mental illness but sometimes no matter who you are the person becomes too unstable to be around safely and may indeed require you to abandon them to perhaps someone more suited for their care. In cases such as these regarding say addiction divorce is not unreasonable.

What Girls Said 3

• guess it does depend a ittle bit on the situation. but generally speaking, yes it does. i don't want to say it makes you a liar, but it makes u unloyal a little bit.

• If there isn't a good reason for it (as you mentioned), then yes it is.

• To a degree yes.

What Guys Said 4

• People get married for the wrong reasons all the time. It's just a piece of paper and doesn't dictate your life.

• Definition of Vow

A solemn promise, pledge, or personal commitment:

I. e. marriage vows

• I don't know. Some people are just confused about life and don't have themselves figured out. Not necessarily their fault.

But I think you should only get married if you can feel that you want to be married to that person. Anything else is unfair.

• Yes, it does. Why with all your sense make vows then go ahead and break them? It is