Ladies - if you were to going to be proposed to, would you prefer if the guy picked a ring completely by himself, or would you want some involvement?

My boyfriend has said that if he were to give me a ring, he'd only want the size. I love the idea of being surprised with what ring he'd pick to represent his love and commitment to me, but at the same time, I rarely wear jewelry, so I can be picky with what I wear. There are certain general preferences I'd have for my ring (stones, setting, metal type), but I'm not sure how to bring it up to him without offending him.

Most Helpful Girl

• I am exactly like you, I am very picky with all that since I never wear jewelry and even though the idea of being surprised sounds great, I am terrified about it, I always think that when the moment comes he's gonna choose a horrible one xD so I'd prefer to be involved somehow, why don't you try hinting him what you like? Subtly, don't tell him directly but let him know what you like

• Glad to see that someone understands how I feel! I'm normally not a very picky person, but like I said, I rarely wear jewelry, so I'm particular about that. I won't insist I pick the specific ring, but I do have certain basic preferences... the only actual requirement is that the metal is white gold, or even rose gold if it looked good. I hate yel

• oops... I hate yellow gold, and any other silvery colored metal would either turn my finger green or red (extremely sensitive skin!), or be ridiculously expensive (like platinum). I do like that he's traditional, so I'd still love it because it's from him, but deep down I'd like to have a little say.

• Yeah I know exactly what you mean, just try hinting him that, and I hope he chooses right! lol

What Guys Said 2

• My wife insisted she had to choose the ring. Which to me seems entirely silly because then it's not really a surprise anymore. I mean, she'd know I'd be proposing because we had to go buy the ring together first.

Never mind the price of that f-ing thing! :D

• There would still be a surprise element, since you'd still choose the time you actually pop the question.

• I suppose. What I did was propose without a ring lol. It worked I guess.

• That works too! lol

• If I'm with a girl and we're in a date at the mall, we'll go look at a jewelry store and I'll listen and look to what she "oooohs" and "aaaahs" at! Shee-zaym!

What Girls Said 2

• I am getting his mother's old rings but if I wasn't I would want him to pick them out on his own or maybe have my sister help him or something.

• I just want a ban so I don't care if I pick it or he does