Girls, should a husband have to do housework if he already works 40 hours a week?

17

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I think that a couple should discuss (and agree on) roles/responsibilities before they get married, as well as any time when their situation changes.

But in terms of how I personally think roles should be split, you haven't given very much context. Like, okay, the husband works 40 hours a week. What does the wife do? What obligations does she have? Does she work (part-time or full-time)? Does she go to school? Do they have children together? If so, how old are the children?

I see that you said your wife doesn't work, but you didn't say much else.

Here's what my preferences would be:
    1. If both people work full-time, housework is split 50/50.
    2. If one person works full-time and the other works part-time, housework is split 25/75.

If the person who is not working has other responsibilities, for example, if they are in school, that should be considered as "working hours" (including time needed to study).

3. If one person works full-time and the other does not work and they have no children, housework is split 20/80-10/90. The person working full-time should still clean up after themselves and be willing to help the other person out here and then (doing the odd job like taking out the trash, or helping with a task that the other might need assistance with, etc. isn't a big deal and would be appreciated).
    4. If one person works full-time and the other is a stay-at-home parent to infants/toddlers, housework should be split ~50/50. Taking care of small children is exhausting work and the two of you really need to support each other during this time. The working parent should also help with the children after work, although it's important for both parents to try to give each other a break to relax and have time to themselves. Once the children are in school full-time, the stay-at-home parent should pick up the majority of housework, but parenting should be shared.

• I find it rather annoying when someone complains that they're "too exhausted after working 40 hours to do housework". Plenty of people work 40 hours or more a week and still do housework, take care of children and other responsibilities, etc. Either because both people work, or because they are single.

That said, I would also find it annoying if I was in a relationship with someone who didn't work, but didn't pull their weight in other ways. So, if it's the case that your wife doesn't work and also doesn't do housework, that wouldn't fly with me.

What Girls Said 16

• If my husband worked full time and I was unemployed, I wouldn't have a problem taking care of the housework. If I'm also working full time, though, it makes sense that we would share the cleaning.

• Girls, should a husband have to do housework if he already works 40 hours a week?
    In my opinion yes as he lives there. Though going by statistics guys generally don't do their share of household duties.

• It depends on what you guys have discussed. Does she want/need help in the household? Is she already doing a lot at home and can she cope? You can get a board and write down what needs to be done on what days and arrange who is going to be doing what. Maybe you can do what your wife can't finish after the day is over. Or maybe you can do extra in the weekend? You know, meet each other half way. Does that help?

• I don't think it hurts to do a load of laundry, wash the dishes or take out the trash here and there. I understand someone can work 40 hours a week but at the same time if the wife is working 40 hours a week then when does the house get taken care of. And even if she doesn't and is a stay at home mother, raising kids is very time consuming and is a 24/7/365 job. She also doesn't get paid for it. So, yes I do think a man who works 40 hours a week can find some time to help out around the house.

• It depends how much the girl works and how much house work is involved and how much the lady is doing - does she have a job? does she take care of the kids etc?

• It depends on how much the wife works.

• Yes why not... even if she's a stay at home. mom/wife... its still great for you to help Being a stay at home mom/wife is just as much work as a 40hr job expecially when there's kids in the picture. I hate when guys think women. only chill when they stay home ugh

• I am so drained after work I. Can't even move

• Ur married and sex is not important? does she get any days off? u must be a joker cause i can't ✋👋

• U can't what?

• I can't answer that unless I know what the wife's workload is. Equal hours? Equal housework.

If I wasn't working much, I would do the housework out of love. If he wasn't working much, I would expect him to do the housework out of love. I also agree with @satansenpai - everybody must pick up after themselves!

• Does your wife work 40hrs a week?

• No she doesn't

• I don't think housework is women's work it's very hard work

• I know I'm just saying that some women could feel like housework is expected from them because of their gender... I grew up in that scenario so I was just speaking from experience.

• I wouldn't want him to no. I rather him relax it off and enjoy something I cooked for him. Saving that energy that he could of used doing housework for sex instead! Haha 😈

• All by his self? No but on his free time I think him and the wife can have a good time cleaning and cooking together... Just like I feel like a married couple should pay bills together and not put it all on the man unless he insist. Everything in a relationship should be devided into both partys, no one is special than the other because of their sex.

• you LIVE there. pick up after yourself.

• I do pick up after myself

• My boyfriend works almost 90hrs a week... he still moves the lawn for his mom and makes food but he doesn't live with me... he lives with his parents.

• Why shouldn't you?

• Because I'm tired after work

• Well then again the vast majority of women reported that they don't find chores sexy at all

• Huh?

• So you don't care about your wife wanting you less?

• doing chores has nothing to do with being sexy or not, chores are things that need to be done. no I don't care

• So... a woman works 40-50 hours/week at her job and then is expected to come home to make dinner, clean the house, do laundry, help the kids with homework, and probably a dozen more chores while the man sits on his ass? Is that what a penis entitles a man to?

• Ummm first off I don't sit at home and second my wife doesn't work