POLL: Women buying their own engagement rings?

Traditionalists exercise caution, because this is some gasp-worthy information. Nowadays more and more women are going halfsies on their engagement rings, and not only that, but occasionally footing the bill entirely!

This is a juicy topic indeed with so much room for different views and opinions, so let's talk it out.

First of all, there are many reasons why this would be happening. Some are reasonable, some not so much.

-to help establish a partnership-like relationship
-to make a higher quality ring more attainable
-to replace an unfavorable original ring
-because the ring was paid for from a joint account
-to help the future husband with his finances

While I don't disagree in the least with helping to purchase an engagement ring, I do think it takes something away from the exhilarating romance at the moment of the proposal. Because who are we kidding: popping the question is undoubtedly the most important and meaningful thing, but who doesn't want to be surprised with a beautiful ring

So let's see what everyone else thinks! Vote in the poll below and leave an opinion. :)

• unacceptable!
  • I guess it's okay, but...
  • It's whatever.
  • Awesome!

Most Helpful Guy

• I didn't know some people did that, but that's actually awesome! :D

Girls actually taking responsibility for the financial resources, and rather than just being offered something so high of value, they actually choose to contribute to it.

It's like paying for yourself on a date, but with bigger numbers. I think it's great.

• I voted D) although I'd at least pay half.

• I think it's great too. Especially because women typically get two rings while men just get the wedding ring. Going half on the engagement ring and paying for each others wedding bands sounds nice to me.

• I did read emerald77's opinion though, that's not the way I meant it.
      I went with the assumption that they'd get the engagement ring as a surprise, they'd accept, but they'd offer to pay for a fraction of it (1/4, 1/2, definitely not the whole thing because that's crazy), That's cool.

Making them pay in advance ruins the surprise, and buying them the surprise with their money is just spineless! Make a budget, and don't be a twat. I mean, that was angering to read, seriously. That is just wrong.

What Guys Said 10

• That diminishes the whole purpose of the ring! The engagement ring traditionally signified a couple of things: 1) Of his promise to marry her. and 2) Demonstration that he is properly able to take care of her. If a man can't even buy his own engagement ring, a woman is already settling for much less before she's even married! And it certainly doesn't say very much about the man she's marrying. Wow...

• So a woman should marry into a higher financial status? I'm not trying to instigate or anything, I'm just curious! What about cases where the woman is more financially stable and doesn't want her man to go into deeper debt over a piece of jewelry?

• I understand now, thank you for your elaboration!

• No problem!

• Its meh to me. I mean, women have this idea that the engagement ring is some grand symbol of his undying love for you, but fail to realize all the stress that goes into picking the "right" ring, ponying up the cash if he's not well off, and making sure it's sized correctly (no easy feat), on top of being proposed to in the right way. I think you all are spoiled in this regard.

But if I ever were to get married and could afford a ring I'd have her pick it out and I'd buy it, then propose to her when she's not expecting. Better to know what you're getting and not be surprised then not know and be disappointed.

• I don't really support materialistic ideas. If all a woman cares about is a big fat ring she is not worth the time. This is yet another reason why some men don't wan to get married.

• The ring is just a formality, I'd marry my boyfriend of he proposed to me with a pinecone. That's the way it should be anyway... If the girl looks at the ring more than she looks at you, leave her.

• Yeah I agree. So what's your argument then?

• I have no argument. I'm gathering the arguments.

• Not getting married so it doesn't matter

• Hell yes, cash saved!

• To each their own, I'm not a fan though.

• I'm not getting married so...

• I'm never getting married so whatever.

• Engagement rings are an insult. Diamonds are only valuable due to marketing, not actually because they are in limited supply or precious in any way.

But paying thousands for a gift to get the privilege of marrying her to further get the privilege of her divorcing me and taking my assets? Fuck that.

• Then buy zirconium, that's pretty too. Screw diamonds.

• Nah dude, screw diamonds. My boyfriend and I went halfsies on an opal ring with white topaz accents. Diamonds are really pretty, but the history on those suckers is far from romantic.

• I would much prefer her to buy her own ring.

What Girls Said 8

• I never got why they didn't in the first place, you share your money in a marriage and pick each other up if the other is in a bad financial state (ideally). So to me I don't think it matters because I don't think it makes a difference. I don't mind buying anything for my boyfriend even because if the relationship lasts to marriage because my money is ours and his money is ours.

• So its fair to say women (the bride) actually plans the wedding whereas the man can buy the ring at least.
    If I was to get married I kind of want him to buy the ring and treat me to a lovely place before proposing.
    The ring would have to be really ugly for me to go and exchange it!.
    However, it does happens and that's great when everything is sweet but I prefer for him to do the honor.

• I wouldn't pay for my engagement ring... Where is the romance? I prefer the traditional idea of a man getting a ring and getting on one knee to propose

Even if it's some super simple ring, I'd be ok with that, because even if he couldn't afford a super expensive one, I'd like to think he put a lot of thought in deciding which ring to get, and how to present it and what not

• I don't like the idea.

• Would you elaborate? I'm interested in knowing why.

• I totally agree.

• I voted D) but this is definitely not what I had in mind.

• If I want something very specific, yes, I'm going to pay for it (or at least help!)

• I don't like it. I'm going to work after marriage too and will help him. But I would like it if my husband bought me a ring while I will have to wear for the rest of my life. It's a sweet romantic gesture

• so you see nothing wrong with him spending $400 on symbolism, and feel like you should possibly contribute at least $100 if not half of it? Assuming he pays a reasonable amount and not 4-digits. 4-digit priced rings in my opinion make no sense.

• fair enough!

• @Mesonfield ;-) :D

• Well.. :p it's acceptable but lol I don't know to be honest

• I think it's pathetic

• If you feel the need to pay for your own engagement ring then you don't have your priorities together because that obviously is so important that you would pay for it yourself instead of letting the guy pay for it or accepting that he can't afford what you you want. Save the money for something more reasonable like a house or a car for you and your spouse. The ring don't mean a thing in my Kim Zolciak voice lol.

• My engagement ring was $30. So you could say that I have my properties straight. Lol