What do you think about public marriage proposals?

Today I was attending my cousins graduation from college. One of the students went up to get her diploma and when she came back down the steps, her boyfriend approached her, got on one knee, and proposed. It was on the big screen so obviously everyone could see it. She looked shocked but she said 'yes.'

What do you think about public marriage proposals like this? Do you think proposals should be more private or do you think it's okay to propose in front of strangers?

Most Helpful Guy

• ●If they are in relationship then the chances of rejection is exiguous.
    ●It's an act of courage. If the guy is rejected, he shouldn't care about what other people think because "he chose" to do it, knowing the potential outcomes.
    ●If the girl is shy, it'd be iniquitous and unscrupulous.
    ●In conservative countries, it's construed as an act of profanity.
    ●It could be eventful so sometimes, it's worth the risk.
    ●It's risky and could cause serious depression but even private rejection can lead to suicide so, it's no different. Just there are chances of being infamous.

Verdict: It's not futile at all. We should better know about possibilities and whether it's detrimental to her or not (even if she loves you). And should do it like a boss and should not care about failure like true winners.
    But we should never forget that private proposals are not lackluster. If you love him/her, you don't need to show it to the world.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzcev3LIyRk

• haha yeah, it would be awful if someone said yes in the moment but then later told the other person no. I also think if people love each other, they don't need to show it to the world.

• I feel bad for finding it funny.

• @Ihav2fart - At first I felt so bad for him but nowadays I find it funny. I don't think a random girl is worth it. You hav2 be in relationship with her if you want to take the risk. Otherwise you're insane.

What Guys Said 16

• Some guy is going to think he is so cute setting up a public proposal like that and then be knocked on his ass when she says no.

• Well, it obviously causes a lot of social pressure... though I guess 99% of people would melt when their girl or guys ask that and would say yes no matter what's the location :D
    First time I notice you're an administrator now, congratulations! So GAG is your job now?

• There is no place for this in public. If she says yes the answer may have been forced by being put 'on the spot'. If she says no you both look like fools.

• Private would be way better, I'd hate to put her on the spot and if she said no that'd be humiliating.

• Private. I kinda find it a little harsh for the girl. What if she reallly isn't ready and she doesn't want to be rude and say no on the screen at graduation or even like baseball games were thousands of people are watching. You're put on the spot no matter what but at least in private you can talk about things.

• I agree. I would prefer it to happen in private just because I don't like being put on the spot. Lol

• I'm shy and introverted and hate when all eyes are on me so I wouldn't want to put my girlfriend through something like that. It should be a private and special moment in my opinion. Also if she said no I'd feel seriously embarrassed lol

• Right? Lol But who's really going to say no in front of tons of strangers? It's kind of like forcing a person to say 'yes' because otherwise, as KHaskins said, they'll be labeled as the "bad guy."

• Lol only slightly mean. But it's okay. If he didn't want criticism, he should have proposed privately. Haha

• exactly ;)

• yeah... private is better... basically y unknown strangers need 2 know? ^_^

• I think private is really the best option. There's no outside pressure. Who really wants to be the person who shot down a public marraige proposal? You'd automatically look to be the bad guy in front of an entire group of people. Dick move, that.

Besides, this is the kind of thing you don't forget. It ought to be a memory just for you alone to share.

• Yeah, I agree. I would be uncomfortable having strangers watching during a moment that should just be between my boyfriend and myself.

• private. You may not get a legitimate yes. No girl WANTS to be put on blast by saying no, and i guarantee you some say yes simply because of the pressure of the publicity

• I'd never do that, for a multitude of reasons.
    Can imagine being rejected, or HAVING to reject someone in front of total strangers? :0

• I know, that would definitely be very awkward.

• *gets down on one knee in front of hundreds of people*
      "Will you marry me?"
      Girl
      *shifts uncomfortably*
      "Ehhhhhhh
      No."

• hahaha that would be terrible for the guy

• I think they should be private.

• I wouldn't do it because she can feel like a 'no' isn't possible as answer

• I'm gonna do it in private just in case she says no lmao

• I think private is better.

• Some people like it, others don't. I kind of find it more of a private thing to do, I mean, we asked you out in private, so, don't you think asking you to marry us should be done in private as well?

• Nothing like putting someone under public pressure to say yes.

I have NO respect for people who make their private lives visible in public. I don't care if it's a marriage proposal, an argument--keep your life to yourself.

What Girls Said 8

• I think it's lovely, especially when it's obviously been planned! However, it does put the woman under some pressure to say yes. If I felt that pressure but didn't want to marry him or didn't feel ready, I would say yes, but tell him in private that I'm not ready yet, to avoid embarrassing him by saying no. That's the only way around that I can see, except outright saying no!

• Yeah, it would be terrible to say 'no' in front of so many people who may be watching.

• I would definitely rather e proposed to privately. I don't really like having to make decisions for a start, and definitely not in front of people. And what if I wanted to say no? I couldn't reject someone in front of a crowd.

• private.

what a weird time to propose... lol. usually graduations are on a pretty tight schedule since multiple graduations happen in one day.

• I know! I think it was just because the guy who proposed is the son of the University's President. If it was anyone else, it probably wouldn't have been allowed.

• ooooooooh. lol. well now the whole thing changes with that piece of info. that's ridiculous though.

• I know, it kind of made me roll my eyes honestly. Like, "why do you need to do this in front of strangers? I'm just here to see my cousin graduate." haha

• Omg private please!! I know it's suppose to be a joyous moment spent with several other people! But doing it private it makes it way more special to me and ugh it would be just amazing lol

• I agree! I would feel SO awkward if it was in front of random strangers. Lol

• I know right, Face as red as a tomato. I don't think I would be able to reply to he's proposal from being so stunned and shocked

• haha yeah, I imagine I would be silent for at least a minute or so. Lol

• They don't bother me, people can do what they want.
    I'd want to propose or be proposed to in private though.

• tacky! it's a very intimate thing. it should be done in private.

• I prefer private marriage proposals, just in case there is a rejection, it won't look as bad.

• I don't really like them, there seems like so much pressure to say yes.

Even if she said yes then told him later she wasn't ready for it, it would probably still be a bit embarrassing for him because he would have to explain to his friends and family that she actually said no in the end (I'm not saying people should never publicly propose)