Whats the minimum amount of time you'd date to tie the knot? 1 yr of dating? 2?

Most Helpful Girl

• Those are just random numbers. Sometimes you meet people and it feels like you knew them your whole life; sometimes you have known people your whole life and you can never understand them.
    I've never dated for very long, but in my case I will say maybe six months, until you get to be comfortable and like yourself.

I know a couple who met in a train and got engaged two weeks later. They've been married think for about five years now.
    Feels short to me, but they seem happy.

My best friend just got engaged after two months of dating.
    Maybe age also plays a factor here.

What Girls Said 7

• i dont' think it should have a time limit... people can fall in love and know they want to spend the rest of their life with someone right away...
    BUT.. i also belive youshould live with your SO before getting married. you don't really know what you're in for until you live together. i know a lot of people disagree with that. iim just speaking from personal experience. there is nothing wrong with waiting to move in together until you're married... just for me personally, i would live with them before deciding...
    if you date someone for 2 years or more, then decide you don't want to marry them, i would worry about feeling that you wasted a lot of time...

• For me personal I think couples should luv together for a while and test that out because that's your future. For at least a year or so to get what it feels like and see how the person lives. Then I would say 2 years minimum before actually proposing because you know the person deeply. In 3-4 it might be a bigger sacrifice to someone and its kind of wasting someone's time if either one changes your mind about marriage. I would say take it slow and live together with them. Then marriage would be up for serious consideration that's for sure. At least for me

• this might be inaccurate or there's something there but I've read somewhere that couple who live together before marriage have a lower chance success rate or they never end up getting there. i see the logic of living together before tieing the knot but i also think there are perhaps negatives to living with someone you dont have the kind of obligation with as youd in marraige.

• Am I like the only one who truly believes 4 years is good. I mean, nothing is wrong with 1-2 years. I just feel as though it's my future and I don't want to mess it up. So I'd take it slow. Plus, within four years you kinda already know the person pretty well. I don't think it's ever a waste of time either. This is your life and you only live it once! :D

• I think 2 years is the absolute minimum!

• I guess as we get older, we know what we are looking for. I would say 1 year.

• I feel like before marriage you should have at least one year of dating that person and getting to know them in that way before considering getting married.

• i agre with at least one year. some people say 6 and its ridiculous. i think even 5 minimum is unecessary lol. i think 2-3 is perfect if both want to pursue it

• Maximum would be a month.

I am not waiting a year. Lol

What Guys Said 6

• Well, for me it was less than two months and most of that was long distance. We saw each other for about 6 days before marrying. That marriage ended over 39 years later with the death of my wife from cancer. It seems to have been enough time.

• wow and sorry to hear taht. people were different back then it seems. the media in my opinion has put a lot of unrealistic strain on the pop culture these days... people are quick to end things or not willin to work things out.

• I think you are exactly right. We went into the marriage with the idea that it was a forever thing. There would be no divorce or separation. If there were problems we would work them out. I spent 20 years in the Navy moving us around and on cruises away from her part of that time. We overcame all that because we really felt it was what we wanted and worth all effort.

Today it seems that people enter marriage with the idea in front of them that if anything went bad they could just end it, kids or not. As you said.

• yes. the glorification of the fast life and polygamy has set in but no one talks about the brokeness all these things bring along with generational curses.

i also beleive coorporations gain from people not growing up and staying sick in the mind and body. why its so rampant.

• If you don't want to take big risks, it will be 4 years minimum.
    It doesn't matter how much a woman loves you in the beginning, or if you're a better man than ever, she can turn on you like a snake within that 4 years.

• Three to five years

• I dated and asked my old fiance to marry me after 1 year and 5 months, but when I graduated as soon as I got my diploma I got down on one knee and screamed "CHRISTINA! WILL YOU MARRY ME?" I just heard a very quiet "Fuck yes!" That's how I became the legend at my school. She was 2 years older than me and in the Army, I was joining the Air Force when I found out she was killed by a roadside IED.

• Sorry to hear about her passing

• You have my sympathies, and my thanks to both of you for your sacrifices.

• Thanks guys... Just remember to have no regrets I regret not asking her sooner and not getting her pregnant then she would still be here. If you would trade your life for hers do it don't even think about it. If it doesn't work out then get a divorce, but you will never know if she is the right one unless you ask her.

• I think I would say a year, maybe two.

• 6 filler filler