How long is too long to wait for a proposal?

My boyfriend and I have been together 6 years total, although we took a year break about two years ago. In that time we dated other people which ultimately brought us back together.

We're now 22 years old and we've been in our first apartment for almost a year. We are doing great! Sharing finances and whatnot.

Recently I have been dying for a proposal. It has been brought up in conversation, and he says that we are too young to be married and left it at that.

I've heard thee old cow theory a lot, "why buy the cow when you could get the milk for free." And I don't know if moving in and sharing finances has affected the pace of anything. Considering he's receiving all the benefits that a married man would without a true commitment.

I have been contemplating moving back home when our lease is up, to see if that drives him more to make a move. I just think we are at a stand still.

I don't think it's logical to just come out and say what I've been feeling because then if a propsal followed shortly after, I would wonder if it was out of fear of losing the relationship, or just because I "pressured" him. I want it to be for the right reasons.

I don't want to potentially ruin the great relationship that we have and all the years we've put into this. He's truly a great, respectful guy that I love, as does my family.

Where do I go from here?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well do not compare your relationship with getting milk. I think it is not fair.
    Your relationship is your sacred place. And marriage should not be the goal of it. Happiness should be your goal.
    I understand you want to get married since things got settled. But for this kinda thing it is not good to rush it.
    Talk to him. What he expects then? When will it be the right time to get married to him

Ask him openly you know. Because this way you are creating stories in your head.
    Maybe he has things in his head but you can not know if you do not ask.

What Guys Said 3

• There is no "too long". Either you want to spend the rest of your life with him, or you don't. The proposal and the marriage don't affect that.

• Statistically after seven years the odds are pretty much a zero percent chance he will ask.

• Until you just can't take it anymore, no time limit, you'll just feel it. Let it happen naturally

What Girls Said 3

• My hubby proposed to me after a year... our engagement was 5 months long.

• I asked him after only four months crazy right

• You're too young
    If you live with him why do you need marriage?