Will you definitely expect/want your future wife to take your surname? Will you definitely take your future husbands surname?

My faith in humanity has actually been reassured by some of these answers. Thanks guys

Most Helpful Guy

• I actually wish to take on the surname of my future wife rather than the other way around. The "taking on the surname of your husband" thing was basically a show of ownership of womyn... and that kind of crap angers me to no end. Though honestly, I would not mind being "owned" by her per say, and I will gleefully say that I belong to my future wife, rather than that she belongs to me. As a Feminist, it is only right that the man take on his wife's surname.

• reassures me that there are guys like you in the world tbh

What Guys Said 11

• I actually wanted hers, since I lost contact with my biological father and have no emotional attachment to my own surname. Alas she is a bit.. old fashioned. She now has mine and she can't even pronounce it.

• Yes, I would. Her commitment to me wouldn't mean much more than words, if she wasn't even willing to take my last name!

• Really? Her taking your last name doesn't mean she is committed to you. She can still cheat, still ruin the family unit, still have children with another man. It happens. Not sure how a last name will protect you from this lol

• It's you attitude that will never afford you a decent man more than anything. It sounds like your father never taught you anything about respecting men..."It's better to live in a corner on the roof than to share a house with a contentious woman."

• Thankfully my father was a strong man who raised a strong daughter and wasn't insecure such as yourself. Thank god I have a man who provides, hard worker, gets things done, amazing father to our daughter and amazing man to me and guess what? He doesn't care if I don't take his last name and I'm still committed. Now go find a weak minded woman

• I won't marry her if she doesn't.

• so if you proposed and she accepted then you found out few weeks later she wanted to keep her own name, you'd withdraw your proposal?

• i'm delightful

• I don't want to get married, but if I did, I wouldn't care whose name she takes.

• I would LIKE that to happen but I won't pressure her to do it. If she has a reason (Doctor, Lawyer, last child of a family) for keeping her name I won't stand in the way of that.

• I don't care who take the surname

• Well, i don't know yet :)

• I would like it if she did but I would insist to take my surname

• I think it'll go to whoevers sounds better. I'm hoping hers is batman

• my fiancee is going to take my last name

• Mine didn't. Because my first name sounded much better with her name. So yes, we do not have a family name now because the kids have the same as my last name.

What Girls Said 17

• I will not take his name. It is an antiquated custom that dates back to when women were chattel to be traded. In addition, I am known professionally with my own name. It makes no sense to change my name and have to build a reputation all over again.

• Known for your name? Do you perform?

• @sobg71124 please go find a weak minded woman who needs a man to tell her when to eat, shit and breathe. Someone who has no aspirations other than being barefoot and pregnant. A woman who will serve your every neex. You don't want a woman. You want a slave and you are her master. You couldn't handle an independent thinking woman

• I'm pretty non-traditional, so I don't feel like I have to or should take my future husband's name.

That said, I dislike my last name. I dislike the name itself (long and awkward), and I'm no longer in contact with my father, so I don't have any real familial connection to it (my mom is remarried and has a different last name). So, I will probably take my future husband's last name. We also joke about just making up a brand new last name for the two of us, and to be honest, I think both of us would be cool with that option too.

• No I will never take on my husband's last name. I love my last name and my child has mine as well. I am not changing it. If he doesn't like it oh well. Put on your big boy panties and grow up!

• I 'd like to keep my own

• i will but i will also like to keep my own , my family has 2 family names thats are passed down , im the last one of my family with these names and would like to keep them , and pass them down when i have children :)

• I'm traditional, so I'll definitely take my husband's name.

• I may or may not.

• I would probably keep mine and add his on the end after that. Mine isn't very common, I'm the only one in the state that has it and if my kids didn't have it i would feel bad about it being lost forever.

• Depends if I'm actually going to marry someday and which one sounds better. I'm not very old-fashioned.

• No, I already have a name. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

• I really like my last name and briefly considered hyphenating our last names. He didn't like the hyphenating idea. Also I like his family a lot more than I like mine so I've gotten over it and would definitely take his name if we ever got married. For the time being though I'm enjoying my last name :)

• I use to want to take the last name of the husband but I don't know anymore, i might keep mine and hyphen theirs with it, not sure yet. Not really fussed about it atm.

• Nah my name is uncommon. I really it so I'll keep it.

• I chose to take his name. My own choice, for my own reasons.

• I want his last name

• Yes I will. His last name is Reed atm I'm sure he'll be the one I marry, so that would make me Destiny Reed.

• If we have kids, then probably.
    If not, then I don't know.

If I do, I'm bumping my own surname up to a middle name.