Girls, How many years after dating would you want your boyfriend to propose?

Obviously, you don't want to rush into marriage and get married too early. But I'm sure there is a point where if he doesn't propose, then you feel like you aren't getting anywhere.

For me, I'd want to wait at least 5 years, but no longer than 10 years. I think it'd be best to get married after 7 or 8 years together. What about you?

• 1 year or less
    3% (1)
  • 2 years
    18% (7)
  • 3-4 years
    53% (20)
  • 5-6 years
    26% (10)
  • 7-8 years
    0% (0)
  • 9-10 years
    0% (0)
  • More than 10 years
    0% (0)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll

16

Most Helpful Girl

• I accidentally voted 3-4 years when I meant 5-6. Anymore all I see is people rushing into marriage without even truly knowing what they're getting into. I wish more guys would wait longer, instead of wanting to be married in 6 months (or less.) I wouldn't take the time span as a issue as long as there's loyalty, at least the guy and I would be more sure of each other, (know each other...) Though timing may be different for some chicks.
    I take commitment seriously. things should go slow. I would want a few married years together before children would be in the picture. I'd rather have kids in my 30's than to be way sooner or later than.

What Girls Said 15

• Between 2 - 5 years is okay to me. I think at 3 or 4 years is the most ideal, since I think that's enough time to know for sure that this is the person you want to be with. Even if you don't ever get married (some people just like to be common law), you still have to plan a future together. I think for me, after 5 - 6 years and no proposal on the horizon or no prior indication of a very long term commitment, I'd start to wonder if he was into it. I'm 25 and if I waited ten years before marrying my husband, that brings me to 35 or even older. I'd want to be married before having a child, and 35 is cutting it pretty close. It's different for women who don't want kids.

I think it also depends largely on the age of the couple. Younger couples may take longer before a proposal to finish school, get a job, save money, etc. Whereas older couples have usually done this already and they often know what they want in their relationships. Many of them also have children from prior relationships. So they may get married sooner.

You never mentioned the length of the engagement. Most engagements are at least 1 1/2 years now, and sometimes two or more. So that adds to the time invested in the relationship before tying the knot.

I was proposed to after 2 1/2 years, and then we waited another year and a bit before tying the knot.

• Would your opinion change if he mentioned wanting to marry you at some point, and often talked about a futuere with you?

Obviously, i have a different time preference, since I'm a very cautious person, and i don't want kids in the first place. But when i think about it... I'm 21. If i waited for as long as i want to, I'd be almost 30 when i got married.

Although, things would be different, if i hadn't broken up with my first girlfriend. If i was still with her, I'd probably just now be getting married, and my time preference would be more reasonable.

• At least 5 years.

• It really depends on how old you are. If you're 18, have never dated anyone else and he proposes within a year, it's probably not going to work out all that well for you two. If you're in your late 20s and have a better understanding of what you want in a partner, proposing within a year may not be as disastrous.

That said, having an engagement that's longer than a year or two is a thing that can happen as well.

• I'd ideally want him to propose after about 2 years, but depending on the guy I might propose!

• Same. At least 5 years, preferably more. You have to know the person 100% before marrying them.

• I agree completely. You can't really get to know a person well enough in less than 5 years- at least not well enough for marriage. I'm just afraid that if i waited 8 years, she would break up with me thinking we aren't getting anywhere (hypothetically)

• Ideally 3-4 but seeing as how I am young and currently in a relationship and have been for three years so far we are waiting at least 3 more years so we'll both me more financially stable and so we can both drink at the wedding! Haha, we also want more time to experience living together and such. Then after about 3-4 years of marriage the idea of kids enters.

• hopefully within 2-5 years

• I would say 5-6 years if I was an adult.
    However as myself now I would have to say 9 to 10 years + (I probably wouldn't have a relationship that lasted this long)

• Yeah, that does make a difference. Although most HS relationships don't last in marriage, there are SOME that do. I think if you found someone that early, you should wait longer than normal until marriage just to be safe. Because 1. Lots of people change when they grow up and the relationship migjt not work because of that. So its better to find that out before marrying. And 2. Its not smart to get married young because you have less life experience, you may not have your life put completely together yet etc. etc.

In my case, even if i was in a relationship since i was 15, my age is still pretty young to get married.

• I totally agree with you. If I was with someone now, I would have to be at least 25 before I married them.

• That sounds like a good age assuming you are financially stable and content with where you are in life.

• Where's the option for never?

• 5-6 is very reasonable

• I'm the type of person who will probably get engaged but be too lazy to get married.
    I want the more security of being engaged than just partners but I am so lazy I can't be bothered to plan a wedding
    probably after 2 years

• I honestly didn't want to put a time limit on it, I believe you can find your soul mate at hello and be happy for the rest of your life! I've seen it happen, but everyone is different

• At least 4-5

• Most people I know seem to have a more successful marriage if they wait longer. So I think at least five years. I know so many people who got married after one or two years and their marriages never lasted. This guy and girl I know started dating in grade nine. They stayed together all through High School and didn't get married until they were 25. They still have that new couple vibe going on. It's been four years since they got married.

The only exception I know for a short time are my mom and step father. They eloped after a month of knowing each other. They've been married for fourteen years.

• No ring for me. I don't want to bother with marriage. If my guy loves me, he doesn't need to get the stupid government involved. Besides, my partner knows that I don't ever want to get married.