Why do people who divorce and remarry still try to say they are Christians?

Unless there is abuse or adultery there is really no excuse, and the Bible says if you divorce and marry another, or if you marry someone who is divorced, you commit adultery yourself.

"But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery." -Matthew 5:32

There are lots of verses but that is one good one.

Most Helpful Guy

• People don't like admitting they don't believe in anything; it's partly why religions developed in the first place. Many people will identify as Christians even if they rarely attend church and are ignorant of the actual contents of the Bible. In Ireland (and I assume most other western countries), most 'Christians' only care about the main ceremonies (e. g. baptism, confirmation, weddings, funerals etc.). Priests here call this process "hatch, batch, dispatch" and don't like it. These ceremonies have become part of our culture as western culture was once genuinely Christian so people still follow the ceremonies. But most women who dream of marriage don't care about God's role in it, they want the love and romance. Therefore, marriage has remained important while it's religious aspect has become less relevant to many.

Religion has become less important but people are still raised with the idea of having to do these events (like marriage) so they will get married but won't care about what the Bible thinks if they get divorced. The significance of the religious part of marriage has declined (hence the ongoing push to legalise gay marriage). But people still identify as Christians because they don't want to admit that, really, they don't believe and don't really know what will happen to them when they die.

• How can "right-wing" parties in Ireland support gay marriage? I couldn't believe that!

• Our right wing parties are right wing economically. Socially, we're all slightly to the left, especially by American standards. Plus the Catholic Church has been disgraced lately by all the scandals so no one really wants to take their side.

• No... like with abortion they seemed right-wing until they tried some funny business recently, and now gay marriage...

I had seen Ireland as MORE conservative than the US because left-wing parties never seem to take power.

What Girls Said 4

• Maybe they did divorce because of adultery, abuse, impotence (yes you could divorce your husband over this 😛).
    You don't know a divorced Christian's story.

• Is say most religious people who are religious don't follow most of the teachings of the bible

• That's why my first marriage will be my only marriage

• it's not worth it staying in a marriage you're not happy in.

What Guys Said 8

• Being a southern baptist preachers kid I've heard that if both aren't Christians when they tie the knot the union isn't recognized by God anyway. The question I have is for Catholics. Jesus said in Matthew "do not call anyone of this earth father or rabbi for your true father resides in heaven" Do Catholics think that doesn't apply to them?

• We married without a priest, church or mass.

Is your deity going to burn us?

• wot divorce has to do wid being a christian?

• I personally think Jesus was talking about the fact that a divorced or widowed woman's only means of income was to resort to prostitution.

• All Christians are sinners by nature.

• Same reason people who sings every day still say they are Christians

• Christians have stopped following the Bible a long long time ago.

• Incoming anti-God hate in 3, 2, 1...