Engagement at 16?

It basically tells you it all in the title but il go into a bit more background detail aha 😂
so I know this girl (no it's not me before you ask as I'm an adult) and she's dating a guy in the army. I know I'm dating a soldier also but I know this girl as she's dating one of my boyfriends friends and they work in the same base. These two people have become engaged and I just wanted to know your opinions on the subject? I'm 20 and currently not even engaged and have been with my boy for way longer but we have talked about marriage and raising a family. Opinions please x

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 5

• what business does a 16 year old have to be getting engaged/married? it makes absolutely no sense. she literally can barely even do shit in her life right now.

• She's with a soldier and I've got to agree with her in some aspects as when you are with a military man you get engaged and married young because you live in the moment. The person who's in the military may be at high risk and you want to live in the moment.. It's hard to explain to someone who's not associated with the armed forces but basically they could be taken away at any moment when on deployment and you want to give them something that they will know they have to come back to when they come home. But I do agree 16 is very young

• I see your point, it makes sense, like a heat of the moment thing since time is literally running out. but its the fact that she's so young that is really making her look stupid with this decision. they both are clearly not thinking it through.

• Yeah I know the age is fairly young 😁

• I think it's too early, but nobody can tell this young lady!! She'd probably tell you to butt out of her life. If she does take the plunge too early in life, there is a chance that it might work out long term, but I rather fancy it will all end in tears. Especially if she ends up a single mum of two kids when she's only about 20. It won't be an easy life for sure!!

• isn't it very early? at 20 u r still a kid don't u?

• I'm not still a kid but it's not me in the situation. Me and my boyfriend have just discussed it for the future that's all

• The girl is looking for a father figure.

• What do you mean?

• The girl doesn't have a father in her life so she wants love from an older guy and to get out from her mom's grip she can only see freedom by getting married.

• Nah you too young

• It's not personally me. You obviously didn't read what I typed

• It dont matter. Its too young

What Girls Said 6

• Don't do it. Chances of it working out in the long run are EXTREMELY slim. If they got married anytime soon it would be A HUGE waste of money due to those slim chances.

• I agree 😁

• I would tell them not to get married at all until the age of 25. If they can make it that long while being together then I don't see anything wrong.

• Don't you have to be married to take your SO with you when you're in the military? Like if you have to move?

• I think so... I'm not actually 100% sure... I think so for security reasons and all that

• So could that be the reason they're getting married?

• Not if you want to pay for them out of pocket.

• im dating a marine, and we have known eachother ever since i was 16.

but at 16 she should be focusing on school and getting threw it, even thinking about college. I got my GED and currently in nursing school.

I guarantee you anything 5-6 years down the line they will already have been divorced. Marriage is something you need to be sure of. As long as he's a good man. Most guys pull the 'lets get married' just to be playful and get in the vulnerable teens pants.. but if they're actually engaged i dont know. If he's under 20 then he does not know what the hell he's doing, and both are going to end up being single parents.

me and my marine have been together for 4 years now, he just turned 24. We are still not ready to get married because we both know its just not our time yet.

you can still have a strong relationship without a ring on your finger..

• Divorce rates are way higher if you marry that young...

• I think they're going to is because, lets say the girl or the guy gets shipped to like Germany or something they'd both go. They don't want to get separated and it's understandable when you are in love. My boyfriend is currently 17 and I'm 14. He plans to become a navy seal and has all the requirements as well. We're going to get married when I finish university so about four years after high school then I'll move in with him and get settled. If you personally think it's a bad idea for your friend. Give your opinion on it. See what she says.

• Thing is I don't really think it is.. I mean if he proposed to me I'd say yes so really I understand their situation as I'm in the same boat c

• not a good idea!