Would you marry someone who doesn't share the same religion with you?

I was inspired to do this question because my catholic sister is dating a muslim. They both are very connected to their Gods. But if you were to have children.. what religion will the children be born into?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it wouldn't bother me as long as they weren't fanatics. I myself am not religious (I am spiritual however) and have tried dating a guy that was very religious. There were many rules and things I tried to do that were out of my comfort zone, and I didn't like it.

I did date another guy that was laid back with this other religion, and that was pretty cool. He can do whatever he wanted and it never effected me negatively. Like forcing me to do things I wasn't comfy with, like the previous guy.

My parents are Christians but my mother is Roman Catholic and my father is Southern Baptist. During their wedding, my dad agreed to my mom's terms that the children (if there were any & obviously there were lol) ) will be raised as Catholic and chose what they want at 18.

Since your sister and her guy are different, they could bring their children to each other's place of worship and let the kid (s) decide when they are of age at 18 perhaps?

• I feel like it'd be very difficult because... well, you can still accept people to have other religions but at the end of the day, if you're religious, you'll think yours is the one that everyone should believe in, especially if its your child.

• It'll definitely be a struggle, it usually is when children are involved. Different parenting methods, beliefs etc.

What Guys Said 21

• Atheist, any religion is fine with me. Most people in the UK aren't that religious anyways :')

• i'm an atheist... so...

• I would only date a Christian or agnostic since I'm Catholic.

Muslim girls like to try to date non Muslims but their religion doesn't allow girls to have that option. Only guys because girls are viewed as emotional weak and will convert whereas the guy won't.

If your sister marries the Muslim guy. The baby won't have a choice. In Islam they believe that everyone is born Muslim. The baby will be considered Muslim from birth by default and leaving Islam considers you an apostate which must be eliminated. I'm not sure if he would enforce that though. Your sister should be careful

• I'm not religious but I would probably marry someone who wasn't religious too just because there's more cohesion in the relationship. Most of the girls I've dated were religious of some kind though.

• I could, depending on the intensity of her belief. I would want my children to find their own belief system, though, and not be brought up in one particular religion as I was.

• I don't want to get married. But, if I did, being an atheist I would not marry a religious woman.

• Why? Is there something wrong about religious women?

• No offense was taken though.

• Only in the sense that we have a fundamental disagreement about the nature of life and existence. That should never be a matter of compromise. I would never compromise on it. I hope no girl would either, but, if she were to do so, she would be unhappy.

• I would explain the way I see the difference between Faith and Religion to them. Then if they choose to worship publicly it would be their choice. I married a religious girl once, which didn't end well due to the fact that I don't share that passion. I would always joke her religion but never her faith. But she didn't see the difference or the humor in it.

• As atheist, I'd rather have an atheist/agnostic wife

I don't really mind having orthodox/christian/catholic etc wife (religions that share the same roots basically). Better if they're non-practicing, however.

I wouldn't go for barbaric religions, such as islam.

• No It won't work out

• Yeah, I am an agnostic, so...

• I would try to talk it out with her and refrain from having kids until we are both the same religion.

• No, I will only marry a Muslim girl.

• Impossible since religious people are only allowed to marry people in their own religion.

• Yes I would because my religion is kindness.

• Being an atheist, I most likely would not date a religious girl.

• No. Too many problems later in life i. e; food, money, kids, school, etc

• How does food, money, and schooling apply to religion?

• I didn't mean you were wrong, you're right and I love your answers @areyaready4this @jesche16 I just needed more depth into the opinion.

• No comments, Thank you.

• I don't talk about politics, religion or football with people I'm interested in.
    Total killjoys.

• If we did not plan having children, yes.

by the way, Muslims believe your god and theirs is the same one.
    29:46 And do not argue with the People of the Scripture except in a way that is best, except for those who commit injustice among them, and say, "We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you. And our God and your God is one; and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him."
    http://quran.com/29/46

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...01efa026a5.jpg

• Yeah, I'm agnostic but I wouldn't get indoctrinated. There was a girl I went to school with who's sister got with a muslim, she was very pretty and clever. She became a muslim too and now she's like a baby factory, cooking cleaning and getting beaten up. It's a damn shame.

• yeah, if my daughter ever thinks she'll go down that path and hopes it won't end up like that, I'll lock her in a very tall tower for a very long time, she'll have her hair cut regularly to prevent a rapunzel situation.

• Well technically they still have the same god

• No, they don't...

• I did and like I said they don't have the same God. I don't pray to Allah. Also, Allah has no son. But God has a son, Jesus.

• Allah is god. It's just the word for it in their language. They don't believe in Christ but they still believe in god. So you think Jewish people have a different god too?

What Girls Said 23

• it's very difficult to form a family, when you are of different religion. First of all, christians aren't allowed to marry non-christians, and muslims aren't allowed to marry non-muslims. Kids either all follow the father's or mother's religion, or half of them the father's and half the mother's. Christian and muslim beliefs are very different though. Muslims believe that women should be obedient to their husbant, they believe they should fight whoever isn't muslim..

• Their children should have the right to make their own decisions. Perhaps being exposed to two different cultures isn't necessarily a bad thing, instead, it may be a way to teach them that differences are not always things that separate people. Throughout history, differences between different religious groups has caused tension between people, maybe this background would teach those kids to do something based more on their true moral beliefs, instead of a restriction of their actions because of a supernatural force.
    To answer your question, I do not believe that people are "born" with a religion, thus, the children learn all their religious beliefs from their surroundings. In this case, the diversity may in fact make the kid more open-minded and allow him/her to make comparisons between the two.

• I could date someone different but I think the kids should be raised religion free until highschool so then they can research it own Their own instead of just taking our word because I don't want them following what I say just because I said it

• Very admirable.

• not christian but without being pressure I meant to say.

• @RedThread I think that's awesome. I also am afraid of my kids following things because it's whatever I do. I want them to have their own self made moral compass

• Ehh maybe, but only if they weren't like SUPER religious and didn't try to convert me. But yeah, I'd rather marry an atheist, someone non-religious.

• no i wouldn't. that's one deal breaker, only because it'd just be too complicated in the future and I'm not willing to have that burden on us.

• My mom is catholic and dad is muslim... Now I have a deal with religion. I'm agnostic, I feel that there's someone who created everything and... All these things, but I don't jave a certain religion.
    But definitely If I will marry an arab (as mapy dad want me to) I would be a perfect Muslim Wife. Or even if he's not muslim, I would do what ever he wants me to do :)

• My sister did.
    My brother will also going to get married to his girlfriend soon. She's of different religion.
    Intercaste marriages is very common in our family

• Of course I would, as long as they respect me all good

• Ah. I must speak with ur sister. Kind of have the exact same connundrum. Good to know I'm not the only crazy one here.

• I'm Agnostic, so dating or marrying someone who was religious would cause a lot of arguments.
    So, no I wouldn't.

• Um... you usually go Agnostic so you can be at peace with the most number of people. It's supposed to be a neutral position, like you don't care... both with respect to the existence of God and the specific religion. That is actually one reason I have declared myself an Agnostic - should net me the most dating options because I am cool with anything AS LONG AS whatever religion they're practicing isn't significantly getting in the way of things. That's not it though. I really don't care. I am not into religious practices much, and I am conflicted on whether God exists or not. But at the same time, I don't give a fuck about anyone else's religious standing as long as it doesn't negatively impact me; know what I am saying?

• I know what you mean.
      The thing is that I know that religion is a big deal for some people. I already know that if I were in a relationship I would have other problems, so why would I bring one more problem to our lives?
      Religious beliefs separate people. @R3d_Anonymous

• Exactly, that's another reason I went agnostic.

• Yeah, but I'm athiest so I dont really follow anything but if my partner was into a certain religion I wouldn't mind my kids following it too.

• No I wouldn't. I would only marry a Christian guy.

• I wouldn't even consider it.

• No I wouldn't. It's against my religion.

• Yeah of course. Why not?

• Muslim-Catholics? Religions can be mixed.

• I will only marry someone who is some form of Christian.

• they are not on the same boat, i think religion is foundational.

• I'm a deist so I don't really know. I believe a God created the universe though I don't worship anything and I believe all religions are false. If they're not overzealous with their beliefs, sure.

• depends if you believe in the same God. This relationship, yes.

• I don't really have a religion or anything but if someone I was dating did then that would be fine for me and if I did want to get married, I wouldn't want it to be a religious wedding. If we were to have children, I would want to wait for them to be older to be able to choose their religion and believe in what they want to be. I was baptized when I was a baby as a catholic and since I started high school I started to question myself on what I believe and I feel I'm not much of a believe in it, or anything really.

• My parents are like your sisters relationship. Muslim father Catholic mother. Most of my siblings chose Islam. Really, both religions say your kids should follow that religion but any good religious people don't force anybody into any religion, like my parents taught us about both we did Eid and Christmas and were always told we can be any religion we want and it's important to look into all before we choose one, so they taught us a lot about different religions.
    In my family, most of us chose Islam, but really we all still celebrate Christmas together too.
    In Islam though, they're usually more hot on their kids being Muslim than the Christian is, well in most of these marriages anyway.

But yea it can work easily if neither of them is ignorant to the other and both know how to adapt to each other. It's not such a big thing to overcome if you look deep into both religions, they aren't actually that different. It just seems that way because of culture and how different Christian and Muslim countries are, it's just people confuse culture with religion sometimes, even the religious people themselves.

• Is there any particular reason to why most of your siblings chose islam? Do you think there is a reason? I'm curious about this. Are ur siblings mostly men or women? And one last thing... What is the nationality of ur mother and father?

• My parents had mostly girls roheyhee

• Oops sorry. Mostly girls, the boys are half as many as the girls.
      I think most of us just preferred going to mosque when we were kids and that developed into liking Islam more for ourselves. Some say they prefer the ideologies. Islam taught properly is really great for women, it's when culture gets involved it's bad for women. Way too much to explain in this little box haha.
      I think also because a lot of Christians around us were Christian by name not actions so we thought it was jusy a lazy religion for a few years (don't anymore) you know like some girl will wear hot pants and go to church or something like this instead of dressing modestly at least just for one day.
      And my father is half Nigerian half Ghanaian, born in Nigerian and my mother is half German and half Polish. They met in Europe .

• Yeah, I would.