What's your opinion on asking the father before proposing to a girl?

Most Helpful Guy

• You're marrying the girl not her father.

This is a stupid, demeaning, outdated practice from when girls were considered the property of her father and marriage was an economic exchange to further male bloodlines.

What Girls Said 6

• I think it's pretty polite

• a must do!!!

• Its an old tradition that the guy would ask permission. Basically by asking you want her dad's full opinion of you and whether he finds your the right fit for his baby girl

• Depends on the way you were raised. I'm actually really close to my dad so any guy is gonna have to get along with my dad to some extent.

• I'm traditional so I think guys should do it :)

• Outdated nonsense.

What Guys Said 6

• People still have to do that?
    I think I'd do it. I'm planning on getting to know my future girlfriend's parents well enough and get on their good side.

• if she's an adult it's needless :)

• It's a bit old fashioned. I did it anwyay, just as a joke. He said no. Then we went to the pub and had a few beers together.

• I think it's an outdated custom, just like the idea that only the man is supposed to ask out or propose. At the very least, get the mother's opinion too.

• Nah. Pretty old-fashioned.

• It's polite I suppose, but really it's not his decision at all. If you ask and he says no then what? If you ask her anyway then that will look disrespectful. If you don't ask her then she is complete removed from the issue like what she wants is irrelevant and you and her father decided nothing is going to happen... that's crazy. It's better to propose to her first and then ask for the parents blessing as a couple, that gets you in the least trouble.