How do you feel about the husband taking the wife's last name?

I've never even dated yet, but I've decide that if I ever do get married, I'm taking her last name. I think my current last name is freakishly generic and boring.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd never let my husband take my last name.

• Oh? Why is that?

• Because that would make me look like the figurehead when I don't believe in me being so.

• I don't believe in either spouse having authority over the other. I think that ideally, both spouses would toss aside their old last names and come up with a new one, perhaps by combining syllables and/or letters of their old ones.

What Girls Said 23

• I don't care what people do with their names. I have my husband's name but it doesn't matter what other people do.

• Go with what ever one you like better! My parents gave me BOTH of their last names I do not know why, but now I have a double last name and a really long signature so I doubt my boyfriend would ever want mine. Like if your last name was really weird like macfarggenlarger or something and her's was cool like kingston or Jagger then totally go with the better sounding one!.

• "My name is Harry Gaydicks. Middle School was hell and my parents clearly hated me."

• hahahaha yeah ditch the last name you don't like! ignore gender rules and get what you want!

• I think each couple should do whatever makes them happy, my boyfriend wants to take my last name also if we ever get married because he just doesn't like his lol. I want to create my own last name though if I ever get married, I would never change mine, it would be weird to me.

• Hey, it's your life. If that's what you want, go for it!
    Personally, I don't want my husband taking my name. I want to keep my last name and I want him to keep his, because at the end of the day, we're still two different people, and marriage doesn't change that.

• That's cool. Whatever makes the two people happy.

• I was just talking about this with my brother. I don't want to get married. Ever. However, if in the future I somehow do get married, I want both parties to keep their last names. Then again, 'Davis' is pretty common, so maybe I could find someone with it already xP

• i think it would mean a lot to her..

• Its cool. If that is what you want to do then do it.

• I feel like that's cute. =)

• That's up to him but I'd rather he didn't. As for me I'm keeping the surname I got from my father

• She must be really happy if you do.
    In Asia people value most to men or husbands' last name more than women. And As I am a woman I didn't care if I have to change my last name to 'his' but if he change his last name to 'mine' I would be explode with happiness. in any reason that a guy change his last name to his wife' last name... to be cool or whatever..., for a girl she will think that it's another way he show her that he loves her.
    *maybe just some girls, and that including me.

• I don't think it matters.

• Um.. i dont really like the idea. Maybe because im more traditional, but i would want to take my husbands last name.

• That's cool. I thing you should just go with the better of the two names

• My last name is crazy generic. But if my husband wants my last name, cool.

• I wouldn't care about it and probably wouldn't know anyways since most girls take the man's name I'd just think she took your name.

• I find it to be icky 😐

• What if hers is as boring?
    I don't care, but I know my family would.

• Nope I don't agree with it.

• Ah, I don't really mind.

• I don't think it really matters. I don't like my last name, so I would be surprised if somebody wanted to change their name to that, but I guess I wouldn't mind.

• its your name do whatever u want no one will know who's name you took other than friends/family

• its weird.

What Guys Said 14

• I dont think its a bad thing but I have seen a few news stories regarding it , the one that sticks in my mind is a man who had trouble with the dmv, i don't recall what the exact problem was. I only mention it because though many would agree there is no problem society is still a pain in the ass about stuff sometimes.

• The reason that a women takes a mans last name is to signify that she is apart of his family. The reason for that is that through out all of history it was a mans job to insure that she was provided for and protected even if it meant his life. As long as our society continues with expecting this responsibility (to various degrees) of men I see no reason why a man would take his wifes last name. Unless she is the one who intends to take over the roll of the husband in all respects that is.

• No problem, 50/50 to me.

• If her last name kinda matches with my first name... you know has a better sounding flow when you introduce yourself, then hell yea.

• I think both should keep their original name its not like you become the property of someone when you marry them

• In this country both keep their name but women are allowed informally to use both names.

• basically i believe everyone should keep their last name

• I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It is up to the individual and the couple.

• It would be weird. I normal and even expected for the mans last name to be the family name. However they don't call me old school for nothing.

• Wife must have a damn good last name!!!

• I wouldn't but if she has a BADASS last name I might consider it

• I have two last names.

• Jack White did it. I think it's a bit weird.

• I wouldn't worry about marriage, bro.

• Re you saying that because I'm physically unattractive (which I fully acknowledge), or because you don't think people should marry at all?

• I wasn't taking a shot at you, no. I could list things in detail, but I'm on a mobile. Long story short, by the time you get to a marrying age, you will likely have serious doubts about the state of marriage.