Whose last name does the child take? The fathers or the mothers?

When there is a married couple what last name should be used for the baby?

0|0
8|3

Most Helpful Girl

• well if the woman changed her last name, it'll b the father's.
    if not, it might be both with a hyphen or just child's choice? I'm not too sure. i had a friend like that and she used either or.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• Our children will be named after my husband's (their father's) surname.. The one that I took in marriage.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why does everyone think it should automatically be the father's name. Let the couple decide what they want to do, I don't think it should be one way or another simply because of someones gender.

0|0
    0|0
  • Traditionally it's the fathers (assuming the father didn't run off or something) but I knew a girl at school who had a sister and they both had different surnames because their parents couldn't decide who's name both should take

0|0
    0|0
  • The Father's or the Father's surname :)

0|0
    0|0
  • The father's

0|1
    0|0
  • the father's usually because the mother usually takes the father's last name in marriage.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have both surnames, and so does my sister.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• I personally don't care.

If wife want the child to have her name, sure, I don't mind. BUT! When child grow up (though it's hard to define "grow up" >_>) I'll insist to give child a choice, which one last name she/he wishes for.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the family I suppose though I can guarantee when I have a son he will be given my last name.

0|0
    0|0
  • after the father or just name the kid anything

0|0
    0|0