Here's a question? This might sound transphobic, but I swear to god, I really just curious?

This question is inspired by a story in a sci-fi short story collection... Would transceptance (?) even be a factor if your long-time partner/girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse/SO (be you in a hetero or homosexual relationship) had pretty well *magically* changed from the gender he/she had been born into just one fine day? Like you literally went to work or grocery shopping, and when you came back he/she was now a girl/guy...

Probably one of the most compelling argumuments I've heard so far *for* gay marriage is that you should love the person, and not just his/her genitals, and thusly you should be able to marry whomever you want, regardless of relative gender... but, would that carry anyone's relationship through *this* scenario?

I would definitely have some serious trouble with it, tbh 😔

Really, honestly just arbitrarily curious... I swear this isn't coming from a place of hate...

• hey! what does *this* button do?
  • oh! wow! there's another one!
Come to think of it, I really didn't ask the intended question... I labored the setup, but didn't actually ask the question: I suppose that would be *extremely trying* for *anyone*, but would that necessarily end the relationship? Would you stay together, but have an open relationship? What?

Most Helpful Girl

• It doesn't sound transphobic to me, don't worry. I know that if my boyfriend's gender identity changed and he wanted to use different pronouns and be my girlfriend instead, I definitely wouldn't care, and if I came home and his sex had changed, sure, I'd be surprised but it wouldn't mean that our relationship would end. We'd need to have a discussion about it and talk everything through first, but ultimately I love him very much no matter what gender or sex he is and I wouldn't leave him over something that doesn't bother me.

• 'I suppose that would be *extremely trying* for *anyone*, but would that necessarily end the relationship? Would you stay together, but have an open relationship?'

It wouldn't be extremely trying for me. It'd be something that, whilst it would come as a shock, would be easy for me to get past and to understand. I wouldn't have an open relationship ever, though a committed polyamorous one is one that I'd consider.

What Girls Said 3

• I wouldn't necessarily break up with them just for that. I don't know how I'd react though and I'm fairly loath to speculate.

• It would freak me out pretty badly and I'm not sure if I could handle it. I just feel like that would be a drastic change and if they were to change out of the blue I would feel they kept wanting to change a secret from me. That would be harder to handle than the actual sex change

• I would be freaked out but wouldn't leave them becaus of thst

What Guys Said 6

• I'm not sure I get the question... are you asking if I had a girlfriend who magically transformed and had the body of a guy but the same personality, would I stay with them?

If so, my answer is: I'd end the relationship but remain friends with them.

• I don't really care about gender, I care about biological sex. Reproduction isn't just a sham, after all. We can be friends irrespective of sex, but I won't date males.

• This would be trying for me. Notice my username.

• I think that would be a case by case basis.

• This is something I would have to experience first handed to truly know, but my assumption is that we would break up. If she just grew a penis, I could cope with that, but the whole man attached to it? Probably not. I am also considering things like testosterone levels changing her personality, depression she'll face, her own desires. We'd stay friends though.

I don't see how this thought experiment proves anything about love/marriage/or the gay rights movement though.

• The question is basically weather you love his/her genitals, or the person inside

• This will be the stupidest thing I've read all day.