What do you think about the idea of girls proposing to guys?

Most Helpful Guy

• No problem with it. My mom proposed to my dad and that was in 1985

What Guys Said 19

• lemme imagine this for a second...

WOOOWWWW so different lol. I mean everything would be on her, she would have planned the dinner, the expensive champagne, the carriage ride, the walk on the beach, and then BAM she kneels down and what the fuck am I supposed to do... put 1 hand over my mouth and gasp in awe? lol!!!

• Hahaha very true. Wow, guys have to go through so much effort. Nice answer

• You're thinking about this way too much. You must really want a girl to propose. You've got it all planned

• whaaaaaaat. I think it'd be awkward like her buying a ring and putting it on my finger. LOL! damn!

• I'd be heavily caught off guard. I'd be so speechless I'm not even sure if I would take those words seriously, as some part of me would assume it's a prank or something.

There is 1 serious downside in "reverse proposal", by the way:

Generally, girls are getting down-to-marry a lot faster than guys. I have 3 assumptions why:
    a.) They want to get someone while they're still young and beautiful.
    b.) They want to wear that white gown and look like a princess for a day.
    c.) They want to show off in front of her female friends.
    Besides, generally girls take rejection way more seriously than guys do. Therefore, if a guy doesn't want to get married for any reason whatsoever (like me: I genuinely do not see WHY do I need to get married if I'm perfectly happy living with the girl I love: like, just how 2 rings are going to improve something that's already perfect? Why do we need to have a massive ~$50,000 party etc?) and a girl comes up with proposal, if a guy will say "no", it nearly guarantees that relations will die. A woman won't ever forget a rejection. Ever.
    While a guy is MORE LIKELY to try again later in case of rejection if HE is proposing, I highly doubt a woman would give it another shot if SHE got rejected if SHE is proposing.

Every male understands that. So basically, if you would propose a guy, you're kinda setting a trap for him, where he either has to choose something he's either not ready / doesn't wants to do, or he's at huge risk of losing you.
    And that, in my mind, if a very dirty tactic that is just outright disrespectful to pull on a person you allegedly love.

• It'll be like a needle in a haystack, almost impossible to see, but I think it's awesome that a woman proposes to a man, I think it's stupid to wait for him to do it if you wanna get married.

• Isn't there still a February 29th?

During the 16th/ 17th Century there were circumstances (can't remember exactly what they were) where spinsters could propose to bachelors and if the bachelor said "No" he had to pay her substantial compensation.

So there!

• Yes, i love the idea of girls proposing to guys that would make me cry
    if a girl did that to me cause i am sensitive type guy but i think it's so sweet.

• It's the man's job, full stop. Some things you can't and shouldn't change.

• Yeah, proposing is the man's job. Just like voting. The woman is to stay at home and clean the house, take care of the kids, and cook. The woman is not to speak without the man's permission.

• Well said @Maverickj and @AlDeEurope.

• @JohnBhoy94 I was being sarcastic. I was illustrating how faulty the "it's the man's job" argument really is. *You* are the one who is being sexist here, because you said that proposing is "the man's job".

• Indifferent, they can do it too

• I am totally fine with it. I just don't want her to get down on 1 knee. Other than that, a girl proposing to me is totally cool

• Indifferent for everyone else but not with me.. like let me put the ring on ya

• If that meant if we divorced and I got half of her stuff then ok. Otherwise it's just a hunter romantically asking their prey to get in the trap

• I would say Fantastic :p

• That will be wonderful.

• i dont mind it, but i want to be in control of that with my future wife.

• I love it. Same goes for girls asking out guys.

• proposing is too much, but approaching a guy first, starting a conversation with a guy first or asking a guy out on a date would be awesome for a change.

• Women already do the asking most of the time. They make is so obvious that she wants to be married that normally the guy already knows the answer before he asks. Stopping to look at engagement rings while shopping, then pretending that isn't some kind of hint really isn't fooling anyone. lol All the guy has to do is figure out how she wants him to propose.

The guy asking formally is just a tradition at this point. If that tradition isn't important to the woman then I understand, as long as she will follow the traditions that are important to me such as accepting my last name.

My only problem with the current set up is that the woman isn't required to be romantic when she lets it be known she wants to get married, but expects the guy to be romantic when he asks her. I believe that this sometimes sets the bar unrealistically high when the guy does ask since most women don't realize what all men have to take into consideration.

• what kind of men gets proposed to by a woman?
    are you trying to call me a bitch?

• I think it's pretty cool. I mean, it's the 21st century. People are finally starting to remove the confederate flag, why not have women propose to men, ya know?

• I would prefer that but it will never happen.

What Girls Said 13

• Its not really a "man's job" to propose, I think it's totally fine for girls to propose. Just as it's also fine for girls to make the first move or ask a guy out. Humans need to stop applying gender roles to certain things, anybody can do anything.

• Its sounds okay but I really don't see myself or many other women taking that role in general if they want marriage... but you never know. /shrug

• I proposed to my fiance. We are getting married on the 28th of June. I made a card. On the inside it said, will you marry me? We were on vacation for our anniversary. It was beautiful.

• It's awesome because people who go out and put themselves out there are awesome

• I think it's odd. Nothing against those that like it or have done it, but I never would.

• i dont like the idea

• I think it's fine, some men are still traditional though. When I think of a woman proposing, it's usually just her bringing the subject up before the man. I haven't seen anyone give their guy a ring but it is 2015 anyways.

• No. It depends on the style of the could though. I personally want my man to be a man and do things like propose to me, but some people are all into "total equality" so to each their own haha

• I think it's okay for girls to propose too.

• I would prefer the guy to propose to me. I'd feel odd proposing to him lol.

• Call me old fashion but that's EXTREMELY weird... Like how do you even do it? Is the female supposed to kneel down like what?

• Er, yes? Don't you think it's just as embarrassing for a guy as it is for a girl?

• No I don't. A man traditionally proposes to the female. If its the other way around you look like a bitch but thats just my opinion.

• kinda of weird and out of tradition but hey im not against it, I wouldn't do it personally

• That's exactly how i feel about it. Just wondered what other people thought

• I prefer the man to do the propsing.