The U. S. Supreme Court officially legalized same-sex marriage, what are your thoughts?

What do you think about the Supreme Court's decision? Do you agree or disagree? And why?

• I agree with the Supreme Court's decision
  • I disagree with the Supreme Court's decision
  • I am undecided/I am not sure how I feel
  • See results

Most Helpful Guy

• I disagree with the Court's decision. As a lawyer, I think the Constitutional basis for the majority opinion (a bare majority of 5-4) was almost non-existent. To hold that the 14th Amendment (ratified in 1868) requires every state to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples is absurd. Justice Kennedy's opinion was based largely on emotion, not Constitutional reasoning. What you got was a bare majority of the Court (5 unelected judges) ordering the American people that marriage is now something different from what it's been for thousands of years. The proper ruling would have been to defer to the states to decide this issue for themselves, but the Court took that away from the American people. Even those who are advocates for same-sex marriage should be troubled by the lawlessness of the Court's decision today. Because when the Court doesn't base its rulings on the Constitution it has entered truly dangerous territory.

• being a lawyer I have something I'd like to ask. I don't mean for this to come off as snarky I promise, I'm just curious as to what your opinion is... so when it comes to gay marriage, are the people who are gay who want to get married not american?(rhetorical question) Are we all not born equal? do we all not have a pursuit of happiness? While I certainly see what you are saying, the fact that some rights were being denied to some, means there was an unbalance of equality the states themselves were not upholding on their own like they should be, there for is that not when the supreme court is supposed to step in? I mean would you have said the same thing about slavery, or the civil rights laws? (once again not trying to be snarky)

• What would equal protection under the law have to do with marriage?

• 28d

Only anti gay people would believe this

What Guys Said 156

• Obviously the
    Court is playing politics here, there is no such thing as a
    RIGHT to marry, and never has been, for anyone. It's a social custom, not a
    Social security benefit item
    !
    Sorry for weird typing, the computer is acting strange... but I think people shouldn't be legally barred from making even the stupidest move in their personal lives.

• its not a right to marry its a rule making it illegal to ban gay marriage.

• Considering it's not a constitutional or legal issue at all, it shouldn't have even been in the supreme court. Marriage is a state power, should have left it to the state legislators and the people of those states.

• @Opinion Owner @Northeast106 I completely agree with both of you.

• 1. If nature didn't intend homosexuality to happen it wouldn't simple :)
    2. Even the animal kingdom has bi and gays in both genders
    3. Marriage is an institution that society started so that the offspring i. e. children are provided for, a responsibility is solemnized which ofcourse unless given the 'sacred' and tied to religion etc we seldom accept
    4. There are those who have married animals too either out of force or out of love but there's so much hue & cry about gays marrying cause if it becomes a trend then it will wipe out procreation the natural way off face of earth
    5. Just as long as we understand all this, there is no problem in same sex marriage being legalized - vote 'A' :)

• 4) what? Being gay is not a virus and even if it was a virus, keeping them from getting married wouldn't change anything? I agree with the others, but 4 makes no sense

• good for them.

reading that it sounds patronizing but really I literally mean it like its good for them lol.

• Meanwhile in other news ISIS kills a bunch of more innocent people, the people starving in Africa are so malnourished they have to get their stomach pumped before they can eat food, a bunch or orphans at the orphanage got left behind in the trail, the presidents of the world are stealing money and keeping it for themselves once again, some innocent victim got wrongfully accused or a crime he or she did not do, money is being wasted on war and countries are being sanctioned even though according to the United nations that's considered a crime against humanity.

• It takes some very hateful people to be angry over other people enjoying their life at detriment of no one.

• lol at JohnBhoy blocking me.
      So here ye go.
      "I like how you're still skirting the topic of how does what someone feel has power to dictate what someone else does and of course how you didn't use the mention function for the reply and made me come back to check."

• Blockers are simply people to weak to make a decent argument.

• About damn time. The next step and something I'm REALLY worried about is the future in states that don't have anti-discrimination laws for the LGBT community. If they get openly married and that's legal I can just see a lot of backlash in places that don't have equal rights outside of marriage on their books.

For instance in Texas someone can be fired from their job or kicked out of their apartment for being gay and that's not a problem. Trans rights are also nonexistent. The more people who are openly gay and getting legally married can also be openly discriminated against. I just wonder how that transition will be handled. I just worry for the safety of people from foaming at the mouth homophobes shouting about Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

• Is it really like that in Texas? How is it possible that something like that still happens?
      I'm shocked. :-(

• Another thing I really fear is just one state or hell just one town that is so up in arms against it that the federal government will have to intervene. Imagine a scene just like the integration of our schools when Eisenhower had to send in the national guard to Arkansas enforce the rights of black students to go to traditionally white schools after segregation fell. I just really hope the cultural divide in our country isn't THAT great.

• It's a Southern thang. y'all Yankees wouldn't understand it.

• 11|4
  • I am always surprised that people have issues with "gay people stealing the tax money through getting special marriage or something" (which is a governmental institution, not a religious one) - but no one bats an eye at the tax exemptions that churches get. Voted A), took too long. Maybe the world will follow. Even the less socially developed places, like this one I live in, and some others.

• I also have no clue why heterosexual people feel threatened by this in any way. It doesn't directly affect them or anything... you can still get married to the other sex, no one is preventing you from doing that if you want. I know some of you take this for granted, but still.

• people are under this misconception that this ruling forces churches to marry same sex couples when it only prevents states from banning it. doesn't force anyone to do anything.

• i agree coz simply... people r people, and different sexuality than da norm isn't sth 2 b ashamed of :D

• Disagree, but because I think marriage has no part in the government and should be for each religion to decide what is marriage. Civil unions however, can be recognized for anyone.

• Big day in American history. I'm all for it. Love is love, and people should be able to marry whoever they want. The only real arguments against it are religiously based, and this nation was founded on a separation of church and state, so those arguments are out the window as far as laws go. I can't get behind most laws that essentially tell people they can't do harmless things, so I'm definitely on board with the decision. One of the rare occasions when I haven't been disappointed in the U. S. Government.

• My thoughts? Well I shall say congratulations America, now American males can "legally" take dicks in their asses, TEEHEE.

• Yeah, we need to follow the teachings of Islam and stone people for being how they were born. But they just choose to be gay so they can be bullied, harassed and discriminated their entire lives. Right?

• You've been pretty heavily implying some shit, certainly. And you understand full well what I was saying, so it'd be great if you could quit with the whole intentionall misunderstanding thing.

• @cipher42 why are you so mad American lady? Didn't I congratulate you for your "achievement"? :(

• I'm glad they did this. Good news to start the day with.

• I think its a good decision, and honestly the biggest thing that will likely change with this is that people who didn't qualify for benefits from work and things like social security will be able to receive these, they will be able to have peace of mind for their partners, like heterosexual couples now enjoy.

Im sure many religions will denounce this decision but that doesn't really matter, many of the marriages that exist between heterosexual couples are done legally by their states, as long as you go to a justice of the peace and fill out the necessary paperwork.

Those who are religious and very strict think that this will be the end of marriage as they know it, but honestly most marriages dont last nowadays gay marriage isn't the nail in the coffin to marriage that they think, it was already mostly dead on arrival to begin with. Honestly if people want marriages to last they need change society in a way that makes people become more responsible, less selfish, and caring of each other, less of lust and fiery heated romances that fizzle out and don't last, basically to change they way people think of marriage would be key

In the end I can only say LGBT people are in relationships where they care about each other, they deserve the same chance to succeed or fail as anyone else. Hopefully this holds up, right now I am happy for them, those I expect there will be still be a lot of resistence.

• Best decision the US have ever made.. Equality for all.

• I think no matter whether they legalize it or not people are finding ways
    to marry the same sex and this has became a trend i would say it's
    increase in the last 10 + years.. In my eyes i am not going to judge
    but in Gods eyes he made Adam for Even not Steve for Adam so
    either way of terms you come to people will do it,,

• Adam and Eve is a fairy tale.

• That's not true it was said there were people before Adam and Eve but your point is correct though Abraham married his half sister Sarah.

• Hahaha Adam and Steve 😂😂 that's funny. But I agree with u.

• It's about DAMN time.

I can't believe how many people want to strip others of their equality.

• I am also very happy that the super-duper-anti-gay-marriage people are upset by this decision.

• Agreed!! :)

• Those people are upset by everything that's different from them. If it's not gay marriage, they'll find something else to be afraid of.

• Brings the US one step closer to becoming a non-hypocritical nation.

• I'm for it but the question is, why did it take so long? It's the same as when interracial marriage got legalized. We look back at it and think how crazy it was but down the road, future generations will be looking back at today and think the same thing.

• Matthew 24:37

But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone. 37"For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah. 38"For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark,…

Genesis 6:5

The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.

Matthew 24:33

"Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.…

So as you can see we are living in the last generation in the last days and it really doesn't matter what we think because our thoughts alone aren't what's important.

• It does matter what think to a degree we have to stay true to what makes us what we are, and right now our own government turned our country into Sodom and Gomorrah.

• @Phoenix98 You're right. What I meant by this is directed directly at the outcome of the perverted ruling or those that approve of it because God will never change his mind about what the outcome will be and God's decision is the ultimate decision.

• Ah I see.

• If you voted B you're an idiot and living in the stone age.

• Not necessarily, they just have a different opinion than you. Nothing more, nothing less. Expressing that these people are nuts for believing a totally different stance is fine, but that doesn't make you any different from what they believe. I say if they want to speak against gay marriage, then preach it! That's what's awesome about this country.

• Oh for sure, like I said, I'm just reminding you. But it's the fact that when someone says they "personally" don't believe in gay marriage they're called a homophobic, white trash, redneck, lunatic. Although automatically assuming that they fear gay people, are white, and mentally unstable, you are claiming to look into their heart and that is a very wrong thing to do.

• @theepicwindmill: I don't support overly generalizing them. However, I still refuse to respect their opinions. I will not respect an opinion that disrespects another person's existence. I just can't do it.

• I'm afraid i'm not for it. Men have been marrying women since (almost) the beginning of time, why change it now? Not to mention, we just opened the flood gates for all the wack-nuts... I'm especially peeved when i here of churches being sued for not marrying gay's.

If anything, it should of been states decision.

(Here's is a warning to any men and women of Christianity who agree with gay marriage. Right your ways, for you are not walking in the proper commandments of God.)

• I agree with the Supreme Court's decision, because religion should have never been a factor in deciding who gets married in the United States of America.

• I know atheist who are against gay "marrage."

• @cipher42 ? Wut?

I was just saying marriage isn't a part of government

• I dont get one think about America and I hope someone could clarify it for me. If America was built on religion than why was slavery prevalent in all parts of the country. What happened to Christians during the slavery era did they not know it was sinful to enslave people. Could someone clarify this for me.

• I mean, America is supposedly the leading nation of the free world, it's about time they joined the rest of us.

• Another one of these questions? Lol

I'm for it, since I'm not an asshole.

• yep anybody who disagrees with somebody is an asshole

• Good for you @RThomas43. It is NOT a question of being tolerant or not.

• Hey now, I am for it and I am an asshole. You guys are confusing.

• Notice how most people who are positive about this get downvoted by men here. I didn't know that the males of GAG were this homophobic.

Lighten up guys, it's not you who's getting married but gay people.

• I noticed the same thing. It's always guys here who can't stomach homosexuality, and a few women. But mostly guys.

• I'm totally and completely indifferent about it. Sure it's great for the LGBT community and it's a major step forward, but it doesn't really affect me in any way, so whatever.

Take a look at some of the responses from the pro-LGBT community, or more specifically those who voted option A:

@rthomas43:

"Another one of these questions? Lol

I'm for it, since I'm not an asshole."

@Illusive_Man:

"It takes some very hateful people to be angry over other people enjoying their life at detriment of no one."

@DodgersGM:

"It's about DAMN time.

I can't believe how many people want to strip others of their equality."

Firstly @rthomas43's response is the one that sticks out the most for me... it's literally the most bigoted response I've seen on this website. JUST because some people have a different opinion than him vis-a-vis of Gay marriage, they're to be considered "assholes". To that I tip my hat sarcastically and wish him the worst in life.

Secondly @Illusive_Man... just because some people decided to vote against it DOESN'T mean they're hateful or angry, how ludicrous, it just means their views are different from yours and you should RESPECT that - unless you want to become a bigot like @rthomas43 ?

And lastly, there lies great irony in @DodgersGM 's response. You tells us about "equality" yet you forget the RIGHT the people who oppose gay marriage have to OPPOSE the law - because it's a right they DO have whether you like it or not; the irony is that it seems you either forgot about it or refuse to acknowledge it.

All in all it's a fantastic accomplishment and milestone, but you HAVE to understand and RESPECT the fact that people disagree with gay marriage.

• Nobody wants to strip you of your right to oppose the law. Oppose all you want, man.

Where on God's green earth did you get THAT from what I said?

• Sure, if a measure goes onto ballot then of course people have the right to vote however they see fit. I have literally NEVER disputed that.

I am no bigot, and I'm not going to resort to name calling. If you continue with that then we're done here.

I pointed out that "sanctity of marriage" is a multi-faceted piece of terminology, and yes, the fact that people only seem to go after same-sex marriage with pitchforks in hand is very telling. It tells me that "sanctity of marriage" is simply a cover for contempt of homosexuals; if it wasn't, then people would go to extreme measures to protect the other facets of "sanctity of marriage."

• Who is the "us" you're speaking of?

Surely you don't think that Christians are alienated, shushed, or shunned in America, right?

Over 83% of Americans identify as Christians, so that would be quite the accomplishment. LOL

• Since my gay friends could already get married in my state, I was mostly just going through my friends list unfriending anyone and everyone who thinks the US will "burn."

People are going to have to accept gays, and now there's little they can do about it, so it's nice to see people's intolerance result in a panic attack for which they only have themselves to blame.

If only it would stay within these people. We won the marriage battle, but there are more battles to be won.

• Actually we don't have to accept them and we won't I know I won't, I'll tolerate them, but I will never accept them.

• Well, your discomfort is your own. This isn't the US stepping out of line, this is the US catching up with the rest of the developed world.

• I'll post what I posted on a question regarding this topic earlier today.

I am more concerned about how it was done rather than the issue itself. The Supreme Court really crossed a line with this ruling. It now gives them the power to overturn any law that is legalized in some states but not others. It should be left to the individual states where the majority rules.

Years from now people are going to realize how significant this ruling was. Say you have 49 states that legalize marijuana, to the wishes of the vast majority of citizens which is how a democracy works. The Supreme Court will then have the power to reverse the law for all those states making it illegal. This is truly a disturbing ruling, again not for the issue at hand, but for how it was done.

• thank you. At least you see the bigger picture here.

• @sdistotallyme It concerns me how most of the people are celebrating this as a victory but are not seeing the huge problem in front of their face. Majority is supposed to rule sadly we found out yesterday just how far we are from a democracy. It is now laughable that we are pushing a democratic style of government in other countries but this country does not really practice that style of government anymore.

• It's fantastic news, and long overdue. People should be able to marry the people they love, no exceptions.

• More from Guys
    126

What Girls Said 105

• I agree with it. No one should be exempt from equal rights. a lot of people can't put their beliefs aside to see that.

• same sex bonds, by definition, are not 'marriage'.
    idc what's become legal. power to them. the fact that it's called marriage clearly implies that whoever allowed this to happen doesn't know the meaning of the word.
    or if they do, theyre trying to modify it.

• It's about time, y'all. That has been legal in Canada for like 10 years.

• Not again...

• I disagree with the choice. Who are they to redefine family and marriage, just so gays can be accepted and respected?

• I believe they are the highest court in the land, the law makers

• I'm sorry. I'm just trying to stuck up for you. @code3 tore you to pieces and I was picking them up and trying to put you back together. They're the stupid ones, not you.

• @VonHoffer @code3 did not tear me to pieces. I just let the fool be a fool.

• God created Adam and eve not Adam and Steve otherwise they would've been the ones intended to reproduce.
    Adoption:
    What about when a gay couple adopts a girl how can they show them how to be a women? what about when the girl hits puberty? how are they gonna deal with her period, bra shopping? this is against nature and what God created. same goes for a lesbian couple adopting a boy. Whos gonna show him how to be man? certainly not two women. What about the gays or lesbians parents expecting grandchildren guess what you're not getting them. on the other hand I can she how is valid because everyone should have equal rightS regardless of sex, trace and sexual orientation. what am I suppose to say to my children when they ask"mommy why are those guys kissing"? Once again the supreme court has it wrong just like abortion which is murder. I am against it because I am a religious person because I center my life around my religion and my religion saysit's not on.
    Leviticus 18:22
    You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.
    Mark 10-6:9
    But from the beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female.’ ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”
    Romans 1:26-28
    For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done.
    I am against samesex marriage.

• What about laying with a woman the same way you would a man? By logistics, shouldn't that be a sin?

• i admire u for not going anonymous while giving this opinion.

• Thanks but regardless of what I think I'll get down voted or up voted anyway because our opinions differ and that's ok.

• I think it's great. Took a long fucking time though.

• It's about god damn time , also the right wing conservatives should stop acting as if they are being persecuted for this. People deserve to spend the rest of their life with the one they love , also now they can get tax benefits, and visit their spouse in the hospital.

• isn't that crazy? I mean I'm a christian and I don't feel like I'm being persecuted at all. I have read comments saying "christians are going to be persecuted soon, its the end times!" ... in what way? how are they targeting christians? Marriage did not start with christianity, and its not JUST a christian institution... Also heard someone say they were moving to Canada... lol bet they'll be in for a surprise when they get there :P

• yeah well yeah every religion has their idiots , its very silly

• Who here wouldn't agree to let people love freely? Hippie status🌸✌🌸

• Of course I agree. Let people marry as they want.

• Same answer I gave to the other same question:
    Dunno. Don't care.

• I agree with it. It's about time that this happened.

• As a Canadian I thought "wow they finally caught up to us in this respect." That states are too focused on religion and too stuck in the past sometimes I think it's a step in the right direction! It happened in Canada in 2008 so I basically grew up with marriage equality just being the normal thing. I was very pleasantly surprised! Seeing picture of all the elderly couples who thought they'd never be able to get married to the love of their life before they died finally able to was so beautiful! People who have been deeply devoted to each other for decades are finally, FINALLY able to get married and it just touches my heart. So happy for them, I can't even imagine the bigotry they have had to face for just loving each other and they stuck together throw it all and now they finally get to join together in marriage. It was a hard fought victory and so very much deserved, I wish all these new families who are coming together the very best.

• I'm just shocked at the proportion of males on the poll who don't agree with it.

• I'm not surprised.

• Eh, they are the same people who hate feminism, and think the only thing that makes them valuable as people is their schlong. And they don't even try to change that. No wonder nobody likes them.

• I'm very happy about it. I have gay & lesbian friends and it's about time they have the same right to marry the person they love that the rest of us take for granted. A great day for freedom and equality.

• Why is it always mostly guys who disagree with equality? Same results on questions asking "are you a feminist or no?" Polls are always girls sayin yes and men sayin no

What gives, guys?

• The ones that dislike the results of feminism blame feminism for them not getting any legally accepted sex slave like how it works for Islam (unsurprising that males are so certain of their 'faith' that gives them power over others, right?) so the males that disagree with this are claiming that this makes them more effeminate and less manly, which is a religion of its own.

• It's about fucking time.

• I disagree because it is a sin. I'm not saying that I don't sin. I definitely do and I am in no way under any circumstances perfect. But is that such a bad thing to strive to be? I no that I never will be perfect but I will try my hardest no to sin. I am also not saying that I hate gays and I am not judging them. I love them but I hate the sin. People are expecting Christians to be okay with gay marriage because we are loving people and we should want everyone to be happy. While that is true, legalizing gay marriage does not make it any lads of a sin. You wouldn't expect us to be okay will murder if it was legalized would you?

• What would you say if one of your children was gay and wanted to get married?

• So it applies to you only in believe in Christianity. Alas, that was a fairly detailed explanation, so kudos.

• @Mesonfielde That is kind of true, but Christians believe that sin applies to everyone, not just other Christians. So while you may not believe in God, we want to tell you about Him so that you may come to know Him, too. So that's why we try to tell everyone about it.

• I am indifferent.
    I am Muslim myself and it is not allowed to be gay.
    But I just want equality and happiness for everyone. I think it is too much to harm someone just because they are gay.

• I wasn't even aware of this honestly and I think it's great, about time.

• It doesn't affect me in any sense, so why not just be happy for those whose lives will change for the better because of it?
    ✌️🌈

• I used to against this decision, but I am now have to agree with this decision. I also it is a wise decision. Regardless gender, race, I now support same-sex marriage. I was against this because of what's in the bible. But then I thought a lot about it. I think there is nothing wrong when they are still helping the community and not causing any harm to our society so why not support this. Not only that, these same-sex couples can help the orphans when those orphans need a family. Those orphans got abandoned by their own parents. Now these same-sex couples are replacing this role, so I think it is a great and wise decision.

Us human, need to be less selfish.

• Well, I'm Christian therefore I don't believe in same sex marriage. So, no I do not agree with their decision. The rapture is coming very soon. Lol.

• We've been waiting 2000 years, just saying.

• Yes and every day we get even closer. Haha🙏😂.

• Nah, the Greek were having all kinds of homosex in the past and they weren't burned in hell fire or turned to stone to show God's unconditional love for mankind.

• I agree with the decision even though its long overdue. We should not have laws based on religion. I believe that marriage is a civil right not just a religious rite. Marriage does not belong to any religious especially Christianity. I'm not even gonna dig deep into the history of marriage being recognized that in the church but I suggest everyone that is against it for religious reason to do research.

• Okay.. Cool.
    Love is love regardless if you can marry or not.

• if anything its mostly guys disagreeing lmao

• I'm not surprised if girls agreeing it more, because most of the girls are bisexual already, so they know they have now one way or the other, i guess you are one too thinking like that.

• Hearing the truth is hurt, don't it lol

• @Xaviers if you think thats the truth then its actually funny xD

• I'm really sad...

... THAT IT TOOK SO DAMN LONG FOR THIS TO HAPPEN. I was so happy when I found out that I could have cried if I wasn't at work. I know of so many people -wonderful, gold hearted people- who have been waiting YEARS for this day so they can finally have the relationship status they've been yearning for. I also know of people who have tragically died before they could see what I'm seeing, and I wish they could be here.

Equal rights are a no-brainer and though we still have a long way to go in other areas, I celebrate this as a major victory.

• I had no idea. But what great news! It's about time this happened

• I agree because this is about civil rights, now everyone has the same right to marry who they want too.

• I agree. =)
    Nice to feel accepted - I wish all countries would accept everyone, but that's never happening. O. o

• More from Girls
    75