Do you agree with this girls idea that polygamy should be legal?

Recently I had a conversation with a girl from work. She mentioned that since homosexual marriage is now 100% legal that its only fair for the government to legalise polygamous marriages as well. I was completley shocked and horrified at this statement. She then went on about how if 3 or 4 or 39 people all love each other, they should be allowed to get married by law. I feel like i should believe her but her comparison doesn't really work. Gay marriage is two people that love each other getting married. Polygamy is the economic and sexual exploitation of many people. It leads to crime and genetic problems, a bad economy even. I mean, im so grossed out. I asked her if she belongs to a religion or culture that permits it and she said she's christian. So where? How? I dont understand...

Seriously though, if they legalise polygamy, I'm moving to the moon.

Most Helpful Guy

• Her comparison actually does work. In both cases people have banned others from making personal decisions about who they are allowed to marry. The only difference is that one lifestyle is no longer as taboo as it once was.

Polygamy does not contribute to genetic problems. There is no scientific reason to believe that it does. It isn't like all women will only marry one man and result in massive inbreeding as everyone marries their half siblings. lol

As far as sexual exploitation, or it effecting the economy that has to do with the inequity of wealth, and has nothing to do with being able to marry more than one person. In a society where wealth is more evenly distributed, polygamy could be legal and largely unnoticed, as most would simply choose not to participate in it.

Legally speaking marriage doesn't have the same meaning it once did. It isn't like one guy will marry 50 women so they can all be on his health insurance. After all everyone has to have insurance now and can even get it provided for them if they can't afford it, so legal aspects like that simply don't apply anymore. At this point marriage is more of a personal decision than something that effects society.

Telling someone they can't marry who they want is running their personal lives. Making any aspect of someones personal life turned into a crime they can be arrested for is wrong. What consenting adults choose to do is their own business.

I would prefer if the government just stopped recognizing any form of marriage and left marriage up entirely to the people that want to be married to define their own relationship.

What Guys Said 9

• Yeah I do, and there's no proof of any of your claims outside of your own personal bias and making shit up.

Have fun on the moon; There's not a lot of oxygen up there.

• Because legally that would be a huge mess. What if one spouse wants a divorce? How do assets get allocated? From a legal standpoint it's not comparable to gay marriage at all.

• Well according to some other user's MyTake men are naturally polygamous so since we were born that way we have to now.

• It won't be legalized... I wouldn't lose sleep on it.

• Her logic is bad. But I also find it odd how you see Polygamy as exploitation.

• Don't worry polygamy won't be even legalized ever...

• sounds hot-but one girl'll do.

• It's not a new idea, there were all sorts of utopian communities in the US in the 19th century. The Oneida Community practiced 'complex marriage' essentially everyone in the community was married to everyone else.

Marriage is a contract, consenting adults should be able to make whatever form of contract they like. It's no one else business.

• I would never marry more than one woman so i disagree to legalize it..

What Girls Said 9

• Yeah it should

• IF you are going to change the definition of marriage, you might as well legalize pedos getting married, polygamous marriages and incest marriages.

• Well its different, the people from sister wives are kinda creepy, and so are men that want to marry many women. I doubt all of those people in a marriage can tolerate eachother either. Gay people is fine because gender and love shouldn't be an issue

• And all the baby mamas and baby dads who aready practicing polygamy sithout marriage?

• This is exactly why gay marriage shouldn't have been legalized. Imagine how Christians feel knowing that homosexuals can get married. And polygamy is more than one person being married to one person. The genetic problems aren't likely. I think you are thinking of paedophilia. I did a whole thing on gay marriage and brought up points about all of what you said. It's all disgusting either way.

• It's not disgusting. And yeah I can't imagine how shitty you must feel now that a bunch of people are able to experience happiness. Seeing other people happy really sucks amirite.

• ForeverYours39

You never answered my question? Haha have you died and come back to life to make that opinion pretty concrete. We will never be able to prove that heaven or hell exists nor can we prove that it doesn't. I respect your opinion however there is no concrete basis for it, its just what you think.

• Nothing disgusting with gay marriage or polygamy.

What about believers eating the body of their god and drinking his blood? :-o

• I think polygamy is stupid, and if you want to be with 30 different people then you just shouldn't get married. Homosexual marriage is still one on one basically. I can't stand polygamy, especially when it involves 60 year old men marrying 14 year old girls..

• The way I look at this is whatever works for the couple or group. It should be legalized after all men are born that way and if as a woman you are strong enough for that type of Merriam it's nobody's buisness

• Love is love. As long as everyone is a consenting adult, it's fine with me.

• We call it plural marriage. Everthing you have stated about plural marriage is lies and propaganda to persecute people who live differently. If homosexuals can legally marry then why not people in plural marriages? At the very least people should stop discriminating and hate mongering jusy because they dont approve of how we live and raise our kids. This is the land of the free after all.

• I don't know enough about polygamy to be sure. It does seem as if the stories you read are often less than fully consensual, but who knows?

I frankly think anyone who is of legal age and fully consensual (not under duress like financial control) should be able to have a legal civil union and marriage should be an optional private religious ceremony.