Why isn't polygamy allowed in America?

Why can't I have multiple wives when gay marriage is allowed?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know because people believe in monogamous relationship I guess but I do see your point I would rather my husband take another wife than cheat on me with just some random girl if that makes any since

• Yeah that makes sense

• And most mormans practice this they just do it in secret and only the first wife is legally married to the man but to me it would not be so bad its not like they share the same bed or anything they all have separate time with the husband

• Thanks

What Girls Said 2

• Because its a cultural thing

• There are many cultures in the USA.

• This is one that should be adapted. Much like gay marriage has.

• You think that even 15% of the population has adopted the gay rights movement? No. That's just beginning.

• I agree it should be allowed but why are you comparing it to gay marriage?

What Guys Said 8

• You better not be the same person.
    i1.kym-cdn.com/.../538.jpg

• Nope lol. I was inspired laddy.

• Cultural and Historical matters. A western Christian society does not allow it.

• Most religions are allowed in America. Atheism is also allowed. There are plenty of people in America who have a different religion than Christianity or are atheist or agnostic. Plus most Christians I know say it is against Christianity to support homosexuality yet that's legal. There is also evidence that might support polygamy in the Bible.

• *too

• I understand your point of view, I know America isn't old fashioned anymore, but some values still remain and others fall. Maybe one day poligamy will be allowed the same way homosexual marriage was.

• Because the number of spouses and the sex of spouses are two different issues. In our society, marriage is a civil relationship between two competent individuals which includes certain legal benefits.

• I know what the law is. I'm saying why can't it be changed?

• I'm 22 with a degree and a career. You're a 52 year old man and a website called GirlsAskGuys where kids ask questions like "Can I get pregnant if he kissed me?" When are YOU going to grow up?

• *on (fill)

• Its because, beyond the bling, the system is plastic and has little or nothing to do with justice and fair play. Certain rights are showcased to make you think its fair, but in reality, its about very specific agendas. The deeper you dig, the uglier it all looks.

• Because Mormons...

• What?

• Oh okay.

• They're trying to say that they weren't really doing that, and they (the main Mormon sect, anyway) certainly don't now, but it left a pretty big stain on their little cult...

• How would assets be split if just one spouse wanted a divorce?

• Most societies that allow polygamous marriages give the man of the marriage all assets. However, that's always debatable even with regular divorce. Who gets what? That would go through court just like regular divorce would.

• I didn't know it was to be honest. I don't see anything wrong with it

• Give it time, the Supreme Court hasn't weighed in on it recently. There's no reasonable argument against it but you really should include polyandry as well.

• True.

• There is a reasonable argument against it and this is the argument that will be used:
      1. There is no group being discriminated against. Since anyone can marry, not one who wishes to get married is being denied that.
      2. Unlike sexual orientation which is an intrinsic part of the individual, the need for polyamorous relationships are not intrinsic to the individual. In other words, there is no fundamental need that is satisfied in a polyamorous marriage that is not satisfied by a monogamous marriage.
      3. There is nothing to stop the individual from being in a polyamorous religious marriage. There is also no need to even be married; if the individual wishes to pursue a polyamorous relationship, he or she is free to do so. Civil marriage - that recognized by the state - is only monogamous.
      4. Governments have a vested interest in maintaining monogamous marriage because of all of the legal ramifications. For instance, suppose a man is married to 4 wives and dies without a will. Who inherits?

• @abc3643 You can only marry one person fool. The discrimination is in the groups of polyamory minded people. Just like homosexually minded people.

Any relationship can be intrinsic to the individual. There are logical economy reasons as to why polygamous marriages could be very helpful to society. No having multiple wives isn't a sexual orientation, but at the same time I don't feel the law should decide who someone is in love with.

There is no need for homosexual marriage. Especially considering that in most major religious sects homosexuality is forbidden. Two gay individuals can be together without marriage. Heck I'm a straight man and don't see the point in signing marriage papers other than possibly some financial advantages that can backfire.

Again multiple countries legally allow polygamous marriages and again they handle legal matters within the court of law or have laws set in place for such matters just like everything else in life. Typically the man inherits.