Thoughts on cake shop being fined $135,000 for refusing a same sex couple?

So a bakery refused to bake a cake for a same sex couple's wedding and now they're being fined $135,000 for it. What are your thoughts on this matter?

I was always told people have the right to refuse customers and that people were allowed to have religious freedom. So even though I do feel refusing them was kind of silly I don't think they should be getting penalized like this when stores should have the right to refuse customers for any reason.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ah! I actually *just* read an article about this! They're not being fined for discrimination (which does kind of suck). The Kleins (bakery owners) are being fined for posting the Bowman-Cryers' (lesbian couple) personal information on their facebook page. This lead to the Bowman-Cryers getting harassed by antigay supporters. BUT the Bowman-Cryers have foster children which means their personal information isn't supposed to be distributed for the children's protection.

A judge decided that the Kleins posting the Bowman-Cryers' information directly lead to the Bowman-Cryers' harassment. THAT'S why the Kleins are being fined.

www.thefrisky.com/.../

• Didn't the actual document made by Oregon though specifically say it was because of denial of service because of their orientation? They could have charged it for them posting the gay couples info but I think they still fined them for refusing service instead and not publishing their personal info. I keep hearing that but I can't find the actual document made by the state of Oregon so I can't really be sure.

• This makes a lot more sense to me.

• There's always a real story underneath the hype. I like it more as well since it acknowledges that people's actions affect others.

What Girls Said 9

• I agree with you. Although it seems like a silly reason for rejecting a customer, but the bakers surely has the right to refuse service to anyone as they're running a private business.

Same sex couples gotta realized that NOT EVERYONE will be comfortable with their lifestyle. Just because USA made same sex marriage legal doesn't mean everyone is comfortable with it. They could have just went to another bakery and not make a big fuss out of it. I find it stupid that the bakers got fined.

• I wish we lived in a world where everyone got along; where people didn't drag each other to court over every difference of opinion, and where people were not full of judgement, hatred, fear and prejudice. Because lets face it: everyone deserves to eat cake.

• I think they deserve it. They are a cake shop, that's what they specialise in, they bake cakes. So why do they need to refuse to bake a cake for someone who is getting married to the same gender? That's stupid. They could of been in the paper and put a good force across there business cake shop, but they got fined and now they have bad name because they refused a cake. Who cares, cakes are what they should be worried about. Not who buys them. It's the stupidest thing I've heard

• Man this is tough... I think I agree with you. It was a stupid reason to refuse them, but I don't think they should fine them. I think the bakery should've just made them a cake, I mean a customer is a customer after all. But I also think they shouldn't have fined them.

• It teaches them to stop being so anal. Its great to hear that discriminating others can be punished. 😉

• That's an old story, but hey, where is the baker's owner freedom of choice? I disagree with the fine

• it's a conflict... personally, i don't know the laws, so i won't comment on that. what *i* do know is that discrimination is wrong, and even if you don't agree with it, it's not right to discriminate on someone no matter what your religion says...

• Wow that's a lot
    I don't think that was right.

• It's stupid they refused, but they shoul not be fined.

• It's illegal in Oregon to refuse people service based on their sexual orientation. The fine is not from them breaking the law. It's because they caused the couple pain and suffering.

• They obviously disagree with this new law... how can anyone make them do what they don't want to do? It will only make them resent more. People like this should be given some time to adjust to this new world and accept it on their own...

• It's not a new law. It's been on the books for decades. That law has been in existence since before they started their bakery. Maybe they shouldn't have started a business if they planned on discriminating against other people?

Also please tag me if you want me to see your posts.

What Guys Said 14

• Sigh why can't homosexuals accept that not everyone is comfortable with their lifestyle? Why must they force it on others?

They should've just went to another bakery, now they're going to use the state's backing of their bigotry to get money for their wedding.

• Is the government going to fine people that own a catering service but refuse to cater a KKK meeting?

• It's not fair. This is an actual reason to be homophobic.
    Business owners should be able to reserve the right to refuse a customer. McDonald's can ban people so I don't see how this is any different.

• those poor store owners, those lesbians saw a way to make money and took advantage of it...

• Oh so now we're criticizing people for making a choice? The hypocrisy in the gay rights movement is getting real bad now.

• They're money is green too. But that's stupid that they're being fined.

• I don't know, its bizarre but I don't know the circumstances, what kind of pressure theyre under. Some people don't want to take the compassionate side because they think their customers will stop buying from them if they know gay people shop there too? So weird.

• I love reading stuff like this, makes me laugh every time.

On topic: you run a business, it's up to you whether you want to refuse your services to someone or not. Why one should be fined for it is beyond my understanding.

• It is Illegal to refuse someone service based on their sexual orientation in Oregon. It's the same as if a bakery refused to bake a cake for a black couple because they don't believe in black people being married.

• Maybe you should look up the definition for words before you start getting angry about them www.oregon.gov/.../t_faq_protected_classes.pdf

No one has more rights or privileges than anyone else. That's why we have CIVIL RIGHTS LAWS. You can't get angry about some people having more rights than others and then, in the next BREATH, advocate for one group having more rights than another.

Are you purposefully trying to be illogical at this point?

• @BellePepper
      I actually think that law is illogical to begin with. Private business is private business; it is up to owners to decide are they going to offer their services to someone who's willing to pay for them or not. You don't like someone, they take their money elsewhere and use services of someone else, the only one who's actually losing in this case if you. Messing around with it can have a negative influence over the economy.

However, given US history on touchy subjects and general love for liberals (not to be confused with libertarians), lack of logic in laws is expected.

• This is like so unfair, makes people wonder if making a business a good idea

• Those people deserve to have their cake.

• Being a fucking asshole is not the same as religious freedom.

• They were aware that they were Christians and probably wouldn't make the cake. I bet that was their plan all along.
    If I were the bakery owners I'd counter sue them for trying to force me against my beliefs. That's an offence

• It actually says in the official documentation that they chose that bakery because it had made one of the women's mother's wedding cakes two years previously and because the bakery was featured at a Portland wedding show.

It's also against Oregon law for a business to discriminate against people based on their sexuality.

• This is scary when a federal gov. Is harnessing WE the people., this is something to worry about and don't let the Feds have that kind of power. This was very wrong. The coue bake a cake for them before, so they refuse the service on base on faith grounds, not discrimination based on sexual orientation, next from the creators of kind of mess is abolish the tens husband and wife because is to oppressed.

• No federal law was broken. It's Oregon state law that you cannot discriminate against people based on their sexual orientation. Moreover the bakers were not fined 135,000 for breaking the law. They were fined for pain and suffering.

• The bakery made a cake for one of the women's MOTHER'S heterosexual weddings previously. The bakery was happy to make the cake for the lesbian couple until they found out the wedding was for two women.

It is Oregon state law that people cannot be discriminated against based on their sexual orientation. The law has been in place since 2008. America is about freedom for everyone. Not freedom for only straight Christians to discriminate against other people.

• Also please tag me if you want me to see your replies.

• That's an infringement on their religious freedoms. They are their own business and unlike the government, they are not required to do it. They have the right to refuse service to anyone as a private business.