How long would you date someone before deciding to get married?

I've heard of some couples getting married after a few months while others date for years before they get married. How long would you want to be in a relationship with someone before deciding to take that next step?

Personally, I think it would depend on a lot of different factors but I can't see myself marrying someone if I haven't been dating them for at least a year.

• I would get married after a few months if I thought it was the right person
  • I would want to date for at least a year before getting married
  • I would want to date for 2-4 years before getting married
  • I would have to date someone for 5+ years before deciding to get married
  • I do not want to get married at all

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a good question.

I've seen people get married then they get engaged very quickly. When i started uni a couple i knew were engaged within a few months and got married that following summer. When people know its right theyll get just get on with it and probably have the mindset of what are we waiting for? Where as others dont want to rush it but they enjoy being together. And i definitely agree with you that there will always be a number of factors that determine when people get married.

As for me it totally depends on when it is and whats actually going on in my life at the time (if it ever does happen). I dont think i can rule anything out but you would think you would need to have a dating period where you get to know each other. Cause at the end of the day you are gonna marry your best friend...

• Yeah, for sure. I wouldn't want to marry a guy who wasn't my best friend :)

• That first line was supposed to say "ive seen people get together". Married was obviously in my head lol

Most Helpful Girl

• I would prefer to date at least a year before getting married. I think finding the right person does not happen instantly. We all need some time to know each other.
    People are cool when you date. But you need to know how they are when they are at home. Living in same place is something really different. We all have different habits.
    To see and adapt them; we obviously need time.
    Plus marriage is not a game. I personally believe it should be taken seriously. So do it when you are ready. No need to rush.

What Guys Said 17

• 1. You can date someone for years, live in together and still fall out within a month of marriage :) - FACT
    2. For me if I want to marry someone I may not even need to date her :)
    3. There aren't any thumb rules to these things young lady
    4. Thumb rules are only about expectation and expectation is what brings the misery
    5. Accepting someone as they are (goes both ways) and changing selves to an extent mutually and fit in together is the mantra :)
    6. Dating according to me should be primarily to know each other well enough which really doesn't happen since while dating most people put on the best of themselves but living together is another game altogether.
    7. Somehow the word marriage seems to change everything in both which is where I feel that the word marriage should be abolished and there will be less separations and divorces :)

• I don't think there's a specific amount of time, it all depends on the feelings you have for her. There are some girls who you grow stronger feelings for at a much faster pace than with other girls. It also depends on how she acts, if she's easy to trust and easy to rely on.
    I would say at least a year, but with everything that goes on today, I would go for 2 years minimum and we have to first be living together, I won't propose to someone I've never lived with.

P. S.: I don't even know if I want to get married though.

• Yeah, of course. It definitely varies depending on the person, I was just curious what people would say if they had to put a time frame on it :)

• I'm very cautious with marriage. Especially in this day and age where a divorce could send my whole life into a downward spiral.

I couldn't marry someone unless I've been with them for at least 5 years. I wouldn't wait longer than 10 years though. So I'd propose somewhere between 5 and 10 years, depending on how much i trusted her, and loved her, and how much i was certain we would last.

• I have no limit of dating before getting married. I'll marry them once I'm 100% certain their the one I wanna spend the rest of my life with, weather we've been dating for two month or two years. The quality of time is more important that the amount of time dating.

• I'd never get married no matter how good the girl seems to be , divorce is a bitch for men also no kids F that

• My parents got married within 6 months of meeting each other. I personally don't have a desire to get married and I certainly would not do it before 2 years if I had to get married.

• That would depend on a lot of things, but at the very least, I'd say one year.

• I am thinking about 3 years or so.

• id say 3 years personally

• 2 years would probably be the quickest I would do it. I really doubt I would do 2 years but that would be the shortest time I would wait. I'd probably rather go like 4 years or so.

• 2-3 years at least.

I am usually the first one to drop girls if they don't measure upto my level.

So i dump quickly, when i know its not gonna work.

• Voted C, I'm not keen on marriage but I might do it with the right woman.

• 5+ that way we would go through a lot together and see if marriage is what we want.

• It completely depends on "her". But personally I find to date at least 1 year is suitable and logical... But honestly;the more I see more unhappy marriages the more I lose my feelings about love and family values... Maybe being alone is best thing in this modern era.

• I joined the 2 to 4 years majority... thinks it's a good precaution yourseves the time to live together like a couple and be certain you feel nice together in all conditions. This avoids divorces after 6 months of marriage :o

• I will want to know that person very good so maximum of 1 year and minimum of 1 year too.

• Probably at least a year for me.

What Girls Said 17

• I know people get married quickly. The most recent one as with his girlfriend for 5 years, they broke up, 3 weeks later he was with someone new, 2 months later engaged, and just got married - haven't been together a year yet. The best bit, is the guy hates marriage and always maintained he never would.

I would have to date at least 2-4 years if not more.
    I would want to be dating at least a year or two (depending on how much time you spend together, if you move in together in that time) before getting engaged. I think a year to plan a wedding would be a bit tight, so say 2 years for the wedding, at least 3 years, but more likely 4-5.
    Of course the wedding would also depend on financial situation. I wouldn't want to have a rush wedding on the cheap if I didn't enjoy the day. Id rather wait and get the extra money. After all, you're only supposed to do it once!!! :)

• I would have to say a year, but I'm also 26. If I was younger, I would probably wait longer. I think at this point in my life I know what I want and have had enough bad experiences to not just jump into something. I think a year would be enough time for an engagement. Then be engaged for about a year or so, then get married. That would give me at least 2 years to really get to know the person.

• After at least 2 years. I think getting married any sooner than that is kind of crazy. Especially if it's less than a year. It depends on how long they've actually known each other too, I think. But 2+ years is a good time to get engaged at least, assuming the couple actually wants to get married.

I got engaged just before the 2 year mark and married a year later. I had known him for a total of 6 or 7 years at that point though.

• It has to be years. Maybe 5 at least. Also you need to have lived with the person for a few years too. It's no good dating someone for a few months, marrying them then moving in together. Living together is the real test of a relationship. Better to find out if it works before marriage

• It depends on the couple though. I know some couples who married after less than a year of being together and did not live together first and have now been happily married for many years so it does work for some people. I don't think it would work for me though. Lol

• The reality is more like 2 years, but the very least would be one year. There is just too much that goes into a commitment to date someone 4 months and then get married. Sure, someone will always point to someone that worked for, but those cases are rare. We have to survive some things, we have to go through some holidays with our families, we have to fight and work it out, we have to discuss money, kids, life. Four months, I'm still trying to remember when you're birthday is exactly.

• I think 2-3 years should be the absolute minimum.

• I've always thought at least 2 years... my parents got married after dating for 6 weeks, stayed married for 17 years and absolutely hated each other.

• I'd date someone for 3 or 4 years minimum before I decided to marry them. But really, I think 5 years would be more accurate. You definitely need the newness to wear off and get to the true heart of the person. And also, people change.

• I would say 1-4 years of dating because many men change during the course of the relationship and become abusive as time goes by. If you wait long enough - you can weed out these types of people.

• At least a year or 2

• I dated mine for 3 years then he asked me to marry him? I said yes but we been together for 11 years now. Married 8 years I had my first kid with him after we got married like 3 months later. She is 7 years old now. And then we had a other girl that will be 4 in December no more kids. I couldn't marry someone so fast. I mean this is the guy your spend your whole life with and future. That is something serious.

• I'm undecided on marriage tbh, but I would wait 3-5 years before considering marriage.

• REALLY depends on the person, If I instantly loved the person, had a ton in common, ton of sexual attraction, and got major butterflies, I'd marry him in a few months :D

• I think less than a year.

• I think it really depends on the people, but personally I'd wait at least 2-3 years to get engaged and then like 1-2 years even get married.
    Why rush, ya know?

• at least 2 years seems fair

• 2 years, definitely because you need to know someone very well before you make such promise