I've heard of some couples getting married after a few months while others date for years before they get married. How long would you want to be in a relationship with someone before deciding to take that next step?
Personally, I think it would depend on a lot of different factors but I can't see myself marrying someone if I haven't been dating them for at least a year.
- I would get married after a few months if I thought it was the right person15% (8)10% (3)14% (11)Vote
- I would want to date for at least a year before getting married27% (14)17% (5)23% (19)Vote
- I would want to date for 2-4 years before getting married50% (26)48% (14)49% (40)Vote
- I would have to date someone for 5+ years before deciding to get married4% (2)17% (5)9% (7)Vote
- I do not want to get married at all4% (2)8% (2)5% (4)Vote
Most Helpful Guy
This is a good question.
I've seen people get married then they get engaged very quickly. When i started uni a couple i knew were engaged within a few months and got married that following summer. When people know its right theyll get just get on with it and probably have the mindset of what are we waiting for? Where as others dont want to rush it but they enjoy being together. And i definitely agree with you that there will always be a number of factors that determine when people get married.
As for me it totally depends on when it is and whats actually going on in my life at the time (if it ever does happen). I dont think i can rule anything out but you would think you would need to have a dating period where you get to know each other. Cause at the end of the day you are gonna marry your best friend...2
Most Helpful Girl
I would prefer to date at least a year before getting married. I think finding the right person does not happen instantly. We all need some time to know each other.
People are cool when you date. But you need to know how they are when they are at home. Living in same place is something really different. We all have different habits.
To see and adapt them; we obviously need time.
Plus marriage is not a game. I personally believe it should be taken seriously. So do it when you are ready. No need to rush.1