Is it crazy to spend $1k on a wedding cake?

I learned that my wedding cake is going to round out to about $5 a slice. Its a 4 tier buttercream cake with fondant pieces and will serve 200 guests. Is it crazy to spend $1k+ on a cake? The cake is beautiful but it makes me want to have JUST cake since its so costly lol.

• Thats ridiculous. I would never spend that much on just a cake.
  • Well, it is your big day. So go big or go home...

Most Helpful Guy

• who the hell would pay that much for a fucking cake? I could make her a dam cake for less than ten dollars.

• Haha well said. I never intended to spend so much on a cake. I didn't expect it to be over $800. I was hoping for $500 at the most... But it is what it is

• My family would feel disrespected if I found a way to marry without considering their attendance :(

• they can go, but you don't have to spend so much money

What Guys Said 10

• It's not that crazy. It really depends on how much 1k is to you.
    For a rich couple it's chump change.
    For the average and below it's quite a bit.

• Oh yea I'm completely broke lol. But I'll make this wedding happen! Or at least the cake...

• Well if you think it's worth it then go for it. Just try not to have any regrets for spending so much.

• some people spend $20,000 on a dress they will only wear once their entire life, so... it just depends how rich you are. the more rich the less ridiculous and vice versa because its obvious.

• Yea I'm not rich. I'm only spending $2k on a dress that I will wear once... But I see where you're coming from. At the end of the day, I'm probably going to spend $20k for this one day

• that's honestly a nice budget for a wedding. some people spend half a million, like seriously? lol

• Spending money on a wedding is crazy full stop

• Enjoy every slice and hunt down whoever fails to finish it. Freeze the remains and enjoy them on rough days even if it's inedible.

• Yes, it's crazy. Why are you spending $1k on just the cake?

• Im still debating if I will. To me, the most important parts of the wedding are the bride/groom, dress, tux, and cake. Even if there's no other food to follow. I really want this cake

• make your own cake, or if no one can cook buy a cake maybe 80 for a fancy one. it is only food it will be eaten.

• Make a pan of brownies, better than cake

• I dont eat either lol

• I'd make you one that look exactly like that one for $100

• Well gosh darn it send me a card lol

• Where do you live? What state?

• Buy some big cakes at Costco and call it a day.

• They sell actual wedding cakes? Or are you talking sheet cake?

• Sheet cakes lol

• Lmao I'll think about it

• If I ever get married and my fiancĂ©e and I were paying out of pocket with our own money our wedding would cost less than that cake.

What Girls Said 7

• That's such a waste. I've never had a cake so good I would spend $5 per slice. Especially because most people barely remember their wedding and spend most of the day stressed out.
    Lastly most people invite people they dot even like and I'm not about to spend $5 per person I don't even care about.

• That last part is true. I feel forced to invite people I dong care about. I wanted to just leave it at parents, grandparents, and siblings, but they all feel aunts, uncles, friends, and cousins should be invited since they invited me to their weddings

• My family and friends are critical. They know that I'd just be making excuses from the jump. Its no way to really wiggle my way out of this

• Then do what I do an give no fucks. If they're mad who cares you have friends you see everyday who can be like a family.
      I only really like 10 people in my family (I have a huge family) I don't care if the ret don't like me

• If you and your fiancee are in that financial league its fine. But dont be saddling yourself with fifthteen years of debt as that kind of financial burden can break up a young marriage. Just think how much a deposit for a mortgage is and judge by that.

• For 1k it better be some good cake

• I know thats the truth haha

• i voted A lol... why the hell lol

• The cake is usually the focal point in the reception room (aside from the groom and I)... It must be a beauty :)

• i know that the cake should be beautiful but... c'mon... that's too much for a cake :)

• Yeah that's crazy

• I believe that's standard pricing

• Standard 😕😟

• Yea funny thing is, I saw cakes that were bigger than mine but cost less. I guess the sugar paste flowers and fondant pieces really can increase the price per slice over all.

• Oh wow, yeah I guess so

• I've never understood the point on spending so much on freaking weddings. It just baffles me...

• I never intended too... But now that its happening and so many guests are involved (really close family), its all just adding up on our plates