Destination Wedding Drama; do you think destination weddings are rude?

I am recently engaged, and have not even had a chance to give people details other than my fiance and I have always wanted a destination wedding. It really is both our dream to get married on a beach somewhere outside the US... but also one of my fears. I fear that I will fly out and on my wedding day, realize that not many people came because it was just too much of a hassle for people.

I know it's asking a lot of people and I don't want my wedding to be an imposition, but at the same time... a wedding is supposed to be about the couple and not the guests. Surely I want our friends and family to feel appreciated and wanted at our celebration... and we will help financially where we can, but I'm getting a lot of negative feedback from a few people. I'm by no means a bridezilla, but these comments are hurtful.

Example from my Sister: "You should have the wedding in the states, so my husband won't be upset at having to pay for FOUR plane tickets, passports... and he needs somewhere he can fish."

I know it's a lot of money in plane tickets, but they seem to have no problem taking a family vacation to Kauai later this year.

Bottom line is, are my fiance and I rude for wanting a destination wedding considering the financial burden it might be for some people? I'm barely engaged and already not a happy bride to be.

Most Helpful Guy

• its your wedding, some people have a destination wedding SPECIFICALLY to try and discourage guests from attending. anyways this is your first time and probably will be your last, make it count.

What Guys Said 3

• It's your wedding, go where you want. Just don't be upset if a lot of people aren't willing to spend the money to travel.

Try keeping small and just inviting your immediate family and closest friends. Then have a big reception when you get back stateside if you want others to celebrate with you.

• Destination wedding is unforgettable experience for both newweds and guests, believe me. I helped to plan my cousin's wedding at Maldives, we just ordered a ceremony at http://7.agency/destination/maldives . Everyone enjoyed the exotic atmosphere of the ceremony and the joy from this special event.

• Do what you want, and accept that not everyone will come to your wedding if its expensive to get to. Invite those you want to invite, many will send a gift instead of going on the trip.

What Girls Said 2

• I don't think that they're rude, your wedding day is about you and not about anyone else. You have to do what makes you happy. However, I do not think I'd be able to attend a destination wedding because it really is a lot of money, I wouldn't be able to afford it.

• this opinion is from 18 years old but.. wedding is suppossed to be YOUR day. if having a wedding in the middle of the ocean is your dream wedding and so be it :)