My boyfriend is Muslim and was born in Afghanistan, and I am a white non-Muslim, will his family ever accept me?

We have been dating for over 7 moths now and we met in university. He came to Canada when he was about 8 years old. We are both 21. He is an amazing boyfriend and we've talked about marriage a little. When I picture a future with him, I picture myself converting, and raising a Muslim family. He has not told his family about us as they would not approve of him dating before marriage. He also says that his parents want him and his siblings to have arranged marriages, which he is not opposed to. He loves his religion although right now he don't always follow it 100%, drink and smokes, but he says in the future he would like to stop this. His family is very important to him as is mine to me. He has met my family and said he loved me even more after meeting them. I really like him and I would love to have a future with him but im afraid that his family would never accept us getting married since I am not afghan.

Most Helpful Guy

• Probably not, so why not just go find you a non-religious or someone within yours to date? Where you won't have to worry about this #BS? Ya know as in having to impress his family (prove you belong with them), convert into their religion, be worried about if his parents are secretly talking behind your back or if they really even like you in the 1st place to begin with etc LOL i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

Hell, they probably aren't even open to dating #interacially. So unless you guys are willing to do something #drastic to be together you're just delaying the inevitable breakup that is bound to happen. And this is the main reason that I #DISLIKE religious families now. Since IMHO there is always so much #BS that usually comes with them.

• I guess aslong as you respect their religion you should be good though or at least I hope ^_^.

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of families and cultures and religions have similar issues. Will they or won't they accept me. The only way to truly know is to bite the bullet, introduce yourself to them, and hope for the best... but... let's say they absolutely don't want you anywhere near their sons life... you need to ask him if he could honestly ever be with someone his family didn't accept. In theory its cool to say, well, I'm a different person then them, but they raised him, and he may be more relaxed now simply because he's not currently in Afghanistan. I think the real question will be less about what will the family think, and more towards him and what will he do if they chose not to accept his choice because after all you are dating him, and not his family, but if their opinion on this matter is more important to him then he lets on, you may be in a no win situation.

What Guys Said 8

• who cares what they think, its far more important that he respect you even if you are not the same religion as him. I've never had a partner try to convert me but I don't really hang around religious people to begin with. I'm shocked that he's saying he's open to an arranged marriage while in a relationship with you though, are you just a placeholder until then?

• Being Muslim will be more important to them than being Afghan, thus don't wonder if they want you to convert to Islam.

• I am muslim and I don't know about afghan people but Arabian and muslim people would accept u very welcoming no problem with u just have to respect the relgion

• Yeah... nothing can go wrong here.

• islam is the most violent religion! Do u know women are not treated with no respect and are 2nd class to men? wait till u are under his control in his country! women have very few rights women are sub class!

• muslims can't date until marriage? Is this true?

• Hmmmm hope for the best prepare for the worst, meet with his family and talk about your future

• I'm a muslim and honestly if I really fell in love with someone whatever religion or ethnicity I will marry her regardless whether anyone agrees with it or not. Also, arranged marriages won't work out in America, they will be very hard to even arrange, they will learn when they are older. Ask him, if his family outright said no, what will he do?

What Girls Said 4

• It's hard to say anything, since I don't know them. I doubt they will ever accept you though, that kind of people are usually very conservative.

I had a similar situation with an Egyptian man. He wasn't a strict Muslim at all and was "crazy" about me (I am not bragging here, he said that himself), but I let him go because our union would have never worked... Everything was against us being together. He was very handsome and loving though. I hope wherever he is, he's happy.

• Religion is the most important thing to muslims. It's their whole identity. So if you conformed to the religion, I'm sure they'll have no problem with you. That said, I'd advise against marrying him. Once he goes back to his religion, you'll have to give up too many things.

• I'm Muslim. The way it works is-he and his family will expect you to respect Islam.

• I'm a somali Muslim and three of my brothers did end up marrying non Muslim woman two to white girl's and one to a Hispanic girl, I love all my sister in laws they're amazing and we didn't "force " them to convert one did convert though because she fell in love with Islam. But that just might be my family I don't know