Why do people hate gay marriage so much but then will say that they still want equal rights?

If someone believes in equal rights, then they shouldn't have a problem with gay people finally being allowed to get married wherever they want. But since the huge announcement a few weeks ago... I can't think of one person in my family that doesn't hate it. But they're still quick to say that they don't hate homosexuality or gay people at all, they just don't like how the marriage law has been changed.

And on this site, I've noticed that lots of people hate feminism, but then they'll turn around and say that's because they want equal rights for everyone. But then I've looked at the gay marriage questions and debates on here, and not many people agree with it either. But I've seen those same people say that unlike feminists they're egalitarian and want equal rights.

So I think now that most people never really cared about being equal or anything, they just say that becuase that's what they're expected to say. It's actually really disappointing to me; I thought everyone had meant it before.

Most Helpful Girl

• i dont really understand any of it at all. i grew up with gay people in my family and a i was taught very little religion. there is no reason to hate people who are gay because it doesn't effect you. i really just dont get it.

What Guys Said 4

• It's a sin and wrong... Lol man I can't say that with a straight face I'm just laughing my ass off while I type this xD I honestly don't care if guys marry or women marry each other's gender as long as they're happy plus I know some might come out on jerry springer or on the show Cops which I can't wait to see

• I don't pretend to want equal rights, the Bible is pretty clear about that. Also, I'm blocking the Asker for being such a you know what.

• Because they don't really want equality. They just pretend they do.

• Maybe they hate that it's all around the news

What Girls Said 5

• People seem to be against gay marriage because their religion, which they are so passionate about, clearly states that gay marriage is wrong.

Many people on this website hate feminism because the females who try to be feminists fail at it. They simply suck. They are false feminists running around like Cujo, foaming at the mouth, barking at anyone who does not agree with them. They don’t fight for equality, they fight for female superiority. They will passionately speak out against one drunk college girl being raped yet be mute or even mock a man in prison being gang raped multiple times in a week. Some of them want the power and glory of feminism however they genuinely enjoy the perks of male roles in society which women benefit from. They’re a joke and their yapping is annoying. They’re not real feminists; they’re going around on the internet playing feminists like a kid with a blanket on his back who calls it a cape.

• Because people do not like to admit that they are filled with hatred.

• I don't hate gay marriages.. they are adults and can or should do what makes them happy..

• i've never said i want equal rights

• Yeah I've noticed that too. I never understood it.