In an open marraige if a wufe gets pregnant from another man then who would have to bear the child?

Most Helpful Girl

• The only person who possibly could bear the child is the woman. So I think you must mean "which man would be responsible for the child?" Honestly, I don't know, that's a good question. My instinct is that the biological father would bear the responsibility but I'm not sure what the law would dictate.

Most Helpful Guy

• That is something that should be discussed before the parties agree to enter into such a relationship. There is no universal answer. The courts will say the proven biological father is responsible if the matter is brought before them.

• So what would happen then? The child will live with whom?

• Again, this is something that should be discussed by all parties prior to getting involved in such a relationship. My answer may not be the same as someone else's. You are asking for a personal opinion on a theoretical matter of someone else's personal choice. Is there a specific reason why you ask? Are you considering getting involved in such a relationship? If so, then we can discuss specifics. Until then, it should be left up to the parties involved to discuss (and I can't stress this enough) BEFORE becoming involved in an open relationship.

• Thank you :)

What Girls Said 2

• Um, only the pregnant woman can bear the child. You mean who gets stuck with child support? Under every state law I've heard of, the legal system assumes the husband is the father and thus is responsible for the baby unless and until a paternity test shows otherwise.

• No... the wife confirmed that it was not her husband

• Legally, it doesn't matter what she SAYS. The husband is responsible for support unless a medical test backs up the woman's claim that the child is not his.

• Did this happen to you?

What Guys Said 3

• The child is always born by the woman who is pregnant. You mean, which father pays child support. The law presumes the husband is the father unless there is substantial evidence to the contrary. DNA test!

• if you mean "who would have to financially support the child"

probably her husband

• Is it by law?

• I'm not sure, it was just a guess

they'll likely go with whatever they think is "in the best interest of the child"

• In the law of my country the father of the child not the husband of the mother