Is it me or is marriage overrated?

I look around and all i see is young people getting married then getting divorced do people understand what it means to take a vow or is that a joke? I wonder if I'm the only one who still belives that marriage is sacred?

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people don't take it seriously enough or don't think it through 100% unfortunately. There are still people who see it as a very important commitment though. I'm getting married next year and I hope to never experience divorce. It's always been my intention to find one special person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with and do just that. My fiance never even wanted to get married for most of his life but I guess I changed his mind. I don't think it's likely we'd ever get divorced because we've taken our time to make sure it's what we really want and it's something we both take very seriously.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that marriage is still a wonderful concept but it may be outdated in the 21st century. I am not disrespecting the institution; I am simply making an observation about our society.

We no longer seem capable of lifelong commitment and maybe we never were as a species. It’s not like cheating or divorce is new. Both are mentioned in the Bible and throughout history.

Our expectations have been radically altered by popular culture, disseminated by mass media. “Romance” is a relatively new concept promulgated by fiction, first in dime novels and now in movies and T. V. It represents love as a feeling that sweeps over you from across the room, instead of a bond and a decision that slowly develops as a result of close association. People keep waiting for the magic and there is none. There is only life. The term of marriage has also changed. The life expectancy in the 17th century was 35 years. Now it’s double that.

Despite all this, there are still people capable of a staying together. My parents remained happily married until there death. My parents-in-law have been married since their teens and are now in their sixties.

I have a few issues with marriage, but with the way it is implemented rather than the institution. First, courts often make lopsided decisions based on gender prejudice and sometimes the law is not enforced when it should be. Second, I think it is a mistake to allow the terms of marriage to be controlled locally in such a mobile society. You can marry under a certain set of principles and divorce under a completely different set by simply crossing a state line.

I predict that in the future, people will gradually abandon marriage in favor of domestic contracts. We can see that happening now in the form of prenuptial agreements.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm not religious, so although the vows carry deep meaning and I do my best to remember and follow them every day, I don't think marriage is exactly sacred. I got married first and foremost so I could stay together with my husband and not have the military separate us, but also for a few legal and financial reasons.

• I know. I see that now and then too.

Marriage is one of most valuable thing to me.

I hope it doesn't lose its value.

• Not overrated, just obsolete.
    It seems like young couples are quick to jump into marriage not knowing how much work they would have to put into sustaining it because they're blinded by love.

• Good sex scews the mind. Plus most people dont beleive in vows they believe in now i get more of an entitlement over you. Marriage is simply today a legal document. but more laws are being created so that legal document won't be needed for me to share finances with you or be able to see you in a hospital.

• Yes, it is.
    I would rather have a healthy relationship with mutual trust than a piece of paper that means nothing to me.

• I think people are just in a rush, in all honesty.

What Guys Said 9

• It is overated. There are 3 main reasons for marriages.
    1/ social contract so you get acknowledged by everyone that you are taken or he/she is yours.
    2/ The government knows you are a couple so they get to charge you more for taxes.
    3/ some people believe that a guy in an elaborate robe can make promises more special.

The cons out weights the pros in my opinion.
    1/ getting acknowledged is nice until you break up. That's when you need a nuclear bunker to hide from these people.
    2/ it costs money to get married, it costs money to get out of marraige and you pay more taxes during marriage if you both making similar amount.
    3/ promises get broken. Special promises might be harder to break but they aren't that much better than a normal, serious promise. Special promises do a lot more damage when broken though.

• I don't think most people know how marriage works.
    I took a vow, I stuck to it.
    The times we live in is not a oath keeping time.
    In the past, if you broke an oath, you could be sentenced to death. So people took oaths seriously.
    Nowadays, if you break an oath, (like marriage), it's cool, "it wasn't for you anyway."
    Kinda weak.

• It seems to be a joke to most people.

• Overated? Nah.

Though, I do think some people are a little naive about what they are signing up for.

• its the lack of morality by rejecting God kicking him out or our schools government and society God performed the 1st marriage but sinful man has made a joke a mockery out of marriage by not keeping it sacred respecting marriage the sworn vows to their spouse and God!

• A good common law relationship can be as good as a good marriage.

• The problem is that people nowadays don't want to solve problems, it is easier to call it quits get divorce instead Of working together as a couple and fixing any issues, Times has change and today's generation don't really take marriage seriously.. I am 32 years old and I have been Married for 12 years and we have been together for 16 years and we are still holding strong

• its not u, its society

• A vow is meaningless when give by someone without honer or moral.

So only a very small percentage of people can take a vow seriously, most simply lack what it takes to keep a vow.