Do you think more and more people are getting married young?

It seems like more and more girls I know are getting married between 18-20 years old these days,

Most Helpful Guy

• For the longest time (let's say since the 1980's), people were reportedly getting married at a later age than they ever have in history.

However, in these past five or six years, I've seen a reverse trend: People getting married straight out of high school again. It could just be my region (I don't know where you live) but seeing how you've noticed it too, I think we'll start meeting more people like this.

I don't know hardly anyone in my area, my age, who doesn't have a kid or isn't married.

• shall i move to yer area to make a difference? we r same age and i'm single hahahaha

What Guys Said 7

• Nope, quite the opposite actually. At least in my area. I mean yes people still get married young but it's not how it used to be. There are more people having children out of wedlock at a young age though.

• I mean I've seen some people around my age get engaged and some married in their very late 20s/early to mid 30s

• No. Actually the average age of marriage has risen. In 1990 it was 23 for women now it's 27. For men it went from 26 to 29

• Eh, most statistics are false, biases and misleading anyway.

I think we're experiencing a reverse trend in these past few years.

• I think more young people aren't getting married at all

• Seems ike the poposite. Girls getting married 24 guys around 29

• Not the trend in Turkey. We're newly discovering the mere option of getting married late.

• yeah i noticed the same thing too... . ut i think they go immature and unprepared to such a serious thing as marriage. i pitty all the unhappy/unstable kids that will grow up in such marriages. of course tere will be few good exceptions... .

• Pick up a book up to about a 100 years ago girls got married of at 14 to 17 king Tut got married at 9 to a 11 year old girl

What Girls Said 8

• i feel like it's the opposite for some reason lol. many people i know r getting married above 24.

• Um lol in my country, people are getting married as young as 14 - 19. My mom wants me to get married at age 20. Yippee can't wait.

• Yes! I live in the northeast where you'd think more people would enjoy the 'single life' or the 'best years' while in their late teens-20s. Look, most of my friends have spouses, are engaged and have kids. I thought I was the only one who noticed that trend. It seems people are getting married younger since I'd say about 2008 I have noticed. Both of my cousins were married at 21, my friend married at 22 and I'm attending a wedding this August for a friend who's marrying at 23. It's true.

• I've noticed the exact same thing you have. I would say about 2010, this trend started (from my experience.)

I live in Ohio, in the Cincinnati metro area. I swear I'm seeing a reverse trend, where 20 year olds are settled down and boring, where as 20 years ago, these were the "crazy party" years.

• Some people get married young, but people are typically getting married older these days. When my fiance and I get married next year, I'll be 28 and he'll be 30. You must just know quite a few of the outliers.

• See, ten years ago, I would have agreed with this.

But I'm seeing a reverse tend in these past five or six years. I'm seeing a TON of people getting married straight out of high school these days, it's like the traditional 1950's marriages are making a comeback (regardless of what our statistics say, which are false for the most part anyway.)

• Massachusetts, closer to Providence than Boston though.

• Ah, well isn't Massachusetts (and the northeast states in general) very progressive and liberal? I know that doesn't automatically mean people marry later, but my area is extremely conservative (arguably the most conservative area in Ohio) and many people are still traditional, and the "marry your highschool sweetheart" trend has came back.

• Not according to studies the average age is different by state but its at least 25 in every state save Hawaii

• I feel like its the opposite. From the people I know or am around, a lot are getting married in their 30's

• well here in the USA, everyone gets married between 18-20.

• I live in North Carolina and I see very few marriages before the age of 22 or 23. I was the first of my friends to get married at 25.

• Yes. I find it to be very odd.