Is it bad luck for a woman to pick out her own engagement ring?

Most Helpful Guy

• I picked the one for my wife but I had four I liked a showed her. Funny thing is I didn't tell her which one I liked best but she ended up picking that one, but said she liked them all and wanted me to pick.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think so, but personally I think it's better if you tell him what kind of styles you like (give him several choices) and let him choose.

What Guys Said 8

• Bad luck for what? Luck shouldn't have anything to do with marriage when it comes to buying a ring or really anything else for that matter. The longevity of a marriage has mainly to do with: trust, commitment, love, etc. Luck or the correct ring is not included in that etc.

• No, it isn't.

• Yes I think she needs to have her to-be to pick it out

• Yes it is, that's the man's job.

• Never heard of such thing.

• Depends on how much it cost

• In my own life yes

• It's bad luck for her to be in a ship!

What Girls Said 6

• I don't believe in good or bad luck. You either have a good relationship which results in a good marriage, or you have a bad relationship which results in a bad marriage. It's pretty silly to pin the blame on how to ring was chosen as a reason why a marriage ended.

I lean towards the woman picking the ring, and here's why: It's going to be on her finger and she's the one that's going to be staring at it for what's supposed to be the rest of her life. If she goes through a jewellery store and points out what she likes, all the better for the guy to then choose.

I had an ex once not respect this fact, and I told him that I would like to pick out a ring, and he demanded that this wasn't right and he should be picking. Yes, demanded. (There's a reason why he's an ex.) As I tried on rings I thought I might like, he barrelled right in to every case making me try on rings I actually hated. I told him, "Look, I'm not in to these types of rings, quit making me try them on for you," and he said, "Well THAT'S the kind of ring you're going to be getting." Such bullshit. You can imagine that with his kind of personality where our marriage would have gone. He was like this with everything.

Anyway, these are changing times and now women are doing a lot of untraditional things such as asking *him* to marry her, and many western weddings are becoming more and more creative and done just the way the couple wants it done. Choosing a ring is no big deal in the grand scheme of things, and a woman may as well have an opinion and even choose what she would like to wear for the rest of her life. It's your finger, your business, your marriage.

Old wives' tales about superstition are not the reason why marriages fail. You either know if you have a good partner or you don't. You don't need belief in superstition to tell you what you already know. :)

• The success of the marriage is not going to be foiled by seeing a bride before a wedding, or picking your own engagement ring. That's just a bunch of superstitious thinking. A couple's ultimate success or failure will depend on how they work together and love one another as a couple rather then once upon a time, you picked your ring!

• No, I just think it defeats the purpose... I feel like the guy should pick it so it is from him

• It's not bad luck but I think it defeats the element of surprise

• No of course not!

• i dont think its bad luck. but its a little rude. you should let ur man pick the ring HE wants to get you.