Why does marrying at 19 have a stigma?

I got married at 19 and everyone lost their minds. People were married at 18 back in the 50's and nobody batted an eye.

Most Helpful Guy

• It leads a stigma because you're still a teenager and we ALL know teenagers and "dumb." Of course, this is a pointless stereotype anyway.

Personally, I think it's too young but if you were ready, than go for it.

What Guys Said 11

• at that age, it would be something of a statistical anomaly if both of you have fully developed into the person you will be as an adult. As such, you've essentially married someone you haven't really met yet - and they likely haven't met you. It rings of an arranged marriage, which functions but isn't typically optimal.

but, you may be ahead of the curve as well. It's impossible to know, so people just assume.

• People used to be raised such that (at least in a simpler world) they were ready to be adults by 12 and 14... these days most are still children wellinto their twenties... and some later than that... and others still literally *never* grow up emotionally, and then *never* are ready for serious vows...

I'm not saying that you are/were necessarily one of *those* people; for all I know you may have been psychologically/emotionally ready when you were younger than 19... But in any event, I suppose that's the underlying reason that most people don't believe most people are ready for marriage at such a young age...

• Nothing in sociology is 100%, perhaps for some marrying at 19 is a great decision for most it's probably a bad idea. Your brain won't even be done developing until your 25/26
    and the only reason 18 year old's are considered adults is so we can send them off to war to die.

• in my opinion it's too young.

• A number of those people are divorced or unhappy

• That's a modern day problem though.

People 60 years ago would marry at this age all the time and they never divorced.

• Typically, people who marry that young don't last long. That's why. The 50s 18 year olds must have been today's 30 year olds, which I think I can actually see.

• in my opinion it's way too young. You have don't have experience to depend on.

• Because 19 year olds now act like 11- or 12 year old girls in the 50 's. Very immature, why you think back then they didn't divorce at a rate of over 50%

• That's actually too young.

• Because your still young and your opinions on what you want can change, especially at your age. What i wanted in a lifelong partner at 19 is completely different then what i want now at 24. I realized i didn't know what i wanted until i was about 21 from there its just been a better understanding of it, like i have more options to get what i want in a marriage partner. And just recently i realized something that was truly important in a life long partner that i want end up with. So far thats the one restriction I've added since 21.

• But if i got married at 18 or 19 id be divorced by now, thats why its "stigmatized"

• Speak for yourself only. I'm the same age as you and nothing has changed since I was 19 and most people don't change once they hit adulthood.

And age has nothing to do with divorce, it's more of a modern day thing. People 60 years ago got married at 18 and would never divorce.

• Thats why i said "it doesn't always work out that way" in my comment. And it was a statistic that people who hot married under 20 had high divorce rates than people who were older.

• Where I live there would be no off that

What Girls Said 7

• Mainly because teenagers are dumb and don't make good decisions, and that's just from experience.
    Also in the 50's people were fucking stupid. A lot of those girls for married young because they didn't have another life asperation/goal besides being married and having a family.

• because back in the 50's it was different especially if you are a girl.. nowadays a girl has her rights into independence and life.. at 19 you might think you are mature enough andtaking all the right decisions, but every year you grow older your priorities change and your lifestyle changes.. especially from you 24-29 .. your mind shifts in ways you wouldn't imagine.. so at 19 don't bare the responsibilities of marriage, instead have fun and see where you would like your life to head especially after your done with college ( your ambitions and wants change trust me)

• I think it has to do with statistics... People who get married too young tend to spike the divorce rate a bit more. There are people who make it but not likely... With technology climbing at an alarming rate people cheat easier, stress easier etc where as in the old days you had to make it work there wasn't a thing as divorce...

• Back then life was simpler and people were more mature.

• I dunno, people grow up more slowly nowadays so they probably view you as a teen who doesn't know what life is about

• Ignore people who don't know love when they see it

• Are you gonna have kids? It can cost so much to support them.