Are there certain things a potential spouse should be able to do?

I have no intention of pushing us all back into the 1950's gender roles, but do you personally think that there are just some things a potential spouse or your spouse should be able to do, like cook, clean, mow the lawn, fix cars, grill, sew, etc. maybe not because you think that should be "their job," but maybe for some other reasons.

Most Helpful Guy

• Both spouses should be able to cook, clean, do laundry, and cut the grass.

Most Helpful Girl

• Kind of. I'm not really for making unnecessary requirements... I like the role of the keeper of the house. Making sure everything is in tip top shape and order. Quite frankly, I plan on doing most if not all of those chores once my boyfriend and I move in together. Why? Because I know he could give less than two shit about whether there are stains on the counter or a few holes in a shirt. He let me know from the beggining what kind of guy he was and it didn't faze me in the slightest. I love my messy man.

I also plan on having a career in psychology, too so, yes we both will be bringing home the bacon... Only difference is, I'll be cooking it, too! And it doesn't bother me in the slightest. :B

What Guys Said 4

• I'm all for traditional gender roles. I think it just works better with a more organized relationship. I think that all starts getting washed down the drain when the woman chooses or has to start working and even more so if you add children in the mix. In general, I think the man should be responsible for bringing home the bacon first and foremost and the woman should be responsible for the household. After that I have to do things because i'm a big tough manly man and my girlfriend is all of 5'3" and 100 lbs so mowing, fixing and moving shit kind of has to go to me. So if i'm doing that she might as well be cooking cleaning etc. There has to be equity in a relationship.

• I almost think I could be a homemaker except we never know in life what could happen; car accident, 9-11, cancer, etc. and your spouse may die and then one is going to be at an advantage, namely the woman if she has no additional income coming in and/or has children to also take care of. Assuming the man would be the bread winner, if she were to die, he could essentially pay for all the services she previously did and survive that way. I think this has always been the major flaw in this formerly standard system of the household.

• *"one is going to be at a disadvantage"

• Yep. I agree with you, which is why I would leave it up to my SO to decide what she wants to do. I'm fine with her working i'm fine with her staying at home either way all the same things have to get done.

• No, non of those things matter as long as we love each other.

• People love to say that, but if you two just sat around the house and neither of you did anything but love one another, the place would eventually fall down. Who's cooking and doing the laundry. Just loving someone can't actually accomplish these things, someone has to do them. A couple must decide what's right for them, if they believe in traditional or non-traditional or modern, what have you, gender roles and decide accordingly who is doing what.

• They should be willing to try anything that needs doing.

• I think they should be capable because if something happens to me and they're useless we'll sink as a couple.

• Yes. My friends dad had never cooked a day in his life, and when his wife went on vacation for a week, he took her out to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Fun for like 2 days, but then its like, this is ridiculous. I hope she doesn't die before he does b/c she does everything around the house.

• Yeah it's important, I guess willing to learn is fine. lol

What Girls Said 2

• I think everyone should have basic life skills lol

• just being good to you.