Is it inappropriate if a man comes in to my shop, asks me where I'm from, and then says "thanks love". Then after, his wife and children walk in?

Most Helpful Guy

• In the north of England where I'm from, 'love' is an innocent term of endearment that is used platonically, between friends and even strangers in talking to each other in shops or on the street as well as romantically, so to my ears that exchange sounds completely innocent.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not really, people of all ages think they know a relative of mine all the time after seeing me... small world.
    You don't think married men should be locked up, do you? :)
    Take the complement that someone is interested, OK?

What Guys Said 10

• "Thanks love" can mean nothing more than thank you friend or thank you polite person, something along those lines, particularly when used in the context you are talking about. It is used generally when a man is talking to a woman, but can also be used when a woman is talking to another younger woman or man.

• Yes , and why are you letting him into your shop?
    That's weird.
    Let it be paranoia with the law , regional racism or any sort of strange stigma against people from a certain place , that's just downright shady to me.

• It's just aussie slang, like saying mate...
    Sure it wasn't Alf Stewart?

• I don't know about in Australia, but in the UK certainly, calling someone "love" is just a nicety and doesn't mean anything.
    Here in Cornwall, it's not even uncommon for people (mainly older women) to refer to a complete stranger as "my lover".

• Nothing wrong with that. Not like he's flirting or asking for your number..

• To American ears, that would seem odd, but you are in Australia, no?

• some people just talk like that

• No why would that be inappropriate

• Sounds harmless to me

• I don't think so
    That was probably his way of speaking ,
    He'll talk to everyone like that

What Girls Said 1

• Did he have a British accent? I know that British often address people as "love," the same way southerners address people as "Hon," etc.