Christmas day wedding, selfish?

so my cousin has booked in Christmas day for her wedding day because she thinks it'll be memorable. the only thing is my family (close family like my mum dad brother and sister) spend Christmas day with my nanna so she isn't in the home alone and she's not invited and my cousin is strict with the no plus ones :/ and even if it wasn't that i just think its selfish to take up so many peoples Christmas day for you, what do you think?

• i think its selfish
  • its not selfish
bump

Most Helpful Guy

• Christmas, New Years... yeah... people who wed on these days are assholes.

Most Helpful Girl

• yes it totally is.

What Guys Said 7

• Wedding days are inherently selfish endeavors. The real problem here is the risk that Christmas will ALWAYS overshadow aniversary celebrations. (Can you honestly believe that the groom won't try to give combined Christmas & aniversary gifts to his spouse?) The choice of wedding day is the opportunity to make your own holiday. With so many other days to choose from, why choose to get stomped on by Santa, his reindeer, the baby in the manger, the Shepards, wise men, and the hosts of angels. It seems like a poor choice to me.

• It is just as selfish as planning these "destination" weddings that the travel industry sells to gullible young girls and everybody needs to take time off from work and spend thousands of dollars to go to Belize or somewhere.

• my parents got married on Christmas but it overshadows their anniversary every year. Its definitely selfish but ultimately you can not go to the wedding and just hang out with your grandma or do 50/50 split. Christmas is there every year after all so a wedding 1 of those years to shake it up isn't going to ruin your life.

• Aren't you supposed to be with your family and friends for Christmas and eat alot? At least they won't have to remember their anniversary.

• but i can't be with my nanna and others we always celebrate it with

• you can't just take people to someone elses wedding without an invite! and i literally said she's strict with plus ones

• Well if she wants guests she better give a ton of them otherwise she may as well go to Vegas and do it because no one will show up

• People only get 1 wedding and it's her choice. If you don't like it then don't go, Christmas comes every year.

• Facepalm... Talk with her, thats a sad idea...

• Who cares?

What Girls Said 9

• I mean her wedding is going to be a one-off special event that is important to her, Christmas will always come every single year. But she shouldn't be expecting a huge turn out, given the circumstances of the day.

• I'm not sure selfish is the right word... stupid, perhaps.

Her wedding will get overshadowed by Christmas.

• Tell her if she wants to have the wedding on Christmas day she has to allow your nana to go as well - otherwise you won't go either.

• I understand wanting it to be memorable but do something like New Year's and invite more family. Don't plan your wedding on a day that's meant for your whole family to be together doing what they do every year. I see that as very selfish. Weddings can be a very self-centered event as it is but to plan it for Christmas...

• so don't go to the wedding. Grandma will be gone soon.. and I don't say that in a bad way... but usually they're old, and if they were good to you, you should spend as much time as possible with them, especially on family holidays such as this.

I understand when some wedding say "no kids" to avoid all the running around and such... but no elderly? is she fucking retarded?

• its no one below 14 and the only old people she invited were her parents she doesn't like my grandma for no reason?

• Hmm kinda, but I can see why they would want it to be on a memorable day so they wouldn't ever forget the anniversary lol - Valentine's Day would have been more suitable though..

• Maybe no one will came to that party lol

• it's selfish if she can't invite your nana, that's just mean!

• Yeah if I were invited to that wedding, I'd say screw it and not show or decline an invitation. I won't miss out on an awesome family Christmas for a selfish cousin's dumb idea of a wedding! Plus, yeah, abandoning your grandma on Christmas to attend a pretentious wedding would be an asshole move.